Match Report and MOM v Blackburn Rovers

I think if he wants to play Brooks, Stan and Danjuma,which he should, then he can’t play 3-4-3 so that gives me hope although it’s also not usual for coaches to change from a system that they worked on all summer this early.

I agree with this. 4-3-3 with Brooks as the advanced midfielder links the midfield and forwards better, which I think was missing yesterday.

Conundrum is then either to drop one of the centre backs or push Kelly to left back, Rico is benched and either Smith or Stacey as right back. Stacey would edge it for me in that scenario, I really like his ability to get up and down, and stretch the opposition. Nice problems for Tindall to have!

When last in the Champ we used Smith on a left quite a lot to good affect, but as an impact sub. We'd have Pugh/Daniels hugging the left touchline for 70 minutes and then bring on Smith who does the opposite and drives inside. That worked.

Not sure having Smith and Danjuma both cutting in all game will work long term. But then again previously we had this same conversation with Eddie's wide selections for a couple years or more.

The 5-3-2 has its advantages, one being you can defend in numbers when playing a strong attacking team.
However, in the Champ when will we realistically want 5 players behind the ball? It worked well against Benfica, but we won't be getting into Europe for some time (unless we win the FA Cup this year).
On the other hand, if we play it more consistently as a 3-2-4-1 or something like that, it could be good.
Otherwise, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 will be very useful, depending on the opposition.

Thought Danjuma looked strangely subdued and fed up after scoring such a scorcher, our new coach had his arms around him and was speaking intensely to him as they left the pitch. Something wrong there?

Thought Danjuma looked strangely subdued and fed up after scoring such a scorcher, our new coach had his arms around him and was speaking intensely to him as they left the pitch. Something wrong there?

He’s pissed off that no-one can pronounce his name properly :)

The way he took his goal it looked a bit like "Oh FFS if we can't defend a lead I suppose I should seal the victory on my own."

If as a creative player you are doing your job and helping your team to score goals and every time you get a lead some fustercluck in defence means it was all for nothing, I guess that could be frustrating.

We DESPERATELY need to cut out the mistakes at the back. If we can do that, we will be really hard to beat with the goals we now have all over the team. Come on defence, get a bloody grip ! It's not really anything JT is setting up wrong, just silly mistakes, lapses in concentration. Very reminiscent of last season so far.

It was a relatively warm day, he’s had previous fitness issues, we’ve not had much pre-season and it was a powerful run in the closing stages of the game. He wasn’t fed up he was probably just knackered

“Fed up”

Interesting his comments about staying high up the pitch. Something we’ve not really got right when playing a front 3 before.

Also I see Blackburn fans were impressed by how we stopped their full backs getting forward which apparently is a big feature of their play. That only happens when your front 3 are aggressive with their positioning like yesterday.

If anyone is worried about our defending then take a look at some of the other teams in this division!.....i've been watching highlights of all the other games which is something i've never done in the PL btw.... and some of the defending is just unbelievable.....The Norwich yesterday for instance....just lol;

“Fed up”

Interesting his comments about staying high up the pitch. Something we’ve not really got right when playing a front 3 before.

Also I see Blackburn fans were impressed by how we stopped their full backs getting forward which apparently is a big feature of their play. That only happens when your front 3 are aggressive with their positioning like yesterday.
Our best phases were when we were imposing ourselves and pushing them back, which is good to see. And seems JT is bringing that about.

I am looking forward to (1) Stanislas repeating the impact he had at the end of last year and (2) seeing how he, Brooks and Danjuma can be combined effectively in the same eleven.

Travers will be OK.....he conceded less than the Rovers keeper....
...he stayed with us.. fans on here salivated and creamed their jeans as we took a sum of money from Sheffield for Ramsdale so you can't complain...just get behind the boy.

Same with Surridge and Solanke..they is Boscombe....Wilson f√cked himself off to Real Tyneside...f√ck him!
We are Boscombe...Boscombe!

If it wasn't for Wilson we may never have reached the PL at all. I say, he earned his move. I say, good luck to him with the Toon. I say, 'Thank you Callum and all the best'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing a bit of class. Do you feel the same about Josh, Aaron and Nathan or is it just Callum you have an issue with?

If it wasn't for Wilson we may never have reached the PL at all. I say, he earned his move. I say, good luck to him with the Toon. I say, 'Thank you Callum and all the best'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing a bit of class. Do you feel the same about Josh, Aaron and Nathan or is it just Callum you have an issue with?

How the mood takes me...or something I guess !

:whist:. :shrug:

If anyone is worried about our defending then take a look at some of the other teams in this division!.....i've been watching highlights of all the other games which is something i've never done in the PL btw.... and some of the defending is just unbelievable.....The Norwich yesterday for instance....just lol;
Think we have the best team?

;