Match Report and MOM v Everton

Agree, one of the worries about the three in the middle that has been suggested (also by me over the summer) is how isolated Wilson can be sometimes without someone higher up the pitch. Solanke has done a better job of linking him than King has

Hopefully with more creative through balls coming from Cook the younger Callum will be less isolated ..I think he likes it on the deck more than the high balls he’s expected to fight with 6.5 defenders for .
I like the idea of Billing ,Lerma and Cook ,particularly away from home .

Neil a little bit picky but we didn't beat Saints in 1987 it was a draw on the day we won the tie over 2 legs having won at home. A quick look at the records on the net and we don't ever seem to have won there at all although perhaps going back pre 1950's might prove otherwise. It would be nice to break the duck next Friday.

Of course you are 100% right. It’s weird because we needed to draw to win the two legs and so it has always felt like a win.

It is one of my go to early teenage memories to cheer myself up (along with finally feeling a bra fastener unhook and my mate going around under the science tables lying on his back on a skateboard and head butting the teachers knees on his way out)

Hopefully with more creative through balls coming from Cook the younger Callum will be less isolated ..I think he likes it on the deck more than the high balls he’s expected to fight with 6.5 defenders for .
I like the idea of Billing ,Lerma and Cook ,particularly away from home .

If they are in form who would you drop at home? That’s the issue. All three have to play for me.

Good report but will echo what others have said re Solanke, he played a very important role today in giving the side better balance. The thing is we don’t really need our number 10 to be an out and out goal scorer (although chipping in with a few would be nice) as we have so much goal threat throughout the team. We need him to hold the ball up, link play, provide movement between the lines and gel with Callum. All of which I feel Solanke contributed today.

Of course you are 100% right. It’s weird because we needed to draw to win the two legs and so it has always felt like a win.

It is one of my go to early teenage memories to cheer myself up (along with finally feeling a bra fastener unhook and my mate going around under the science tables lying on his back on a skateboard and head butting the teachers knees on his way out)
You wore a bra ?

Do you think one up front at home is never an option ?It’s a genuine question ,particularly against the better teams

It is because it’s three up front. Fraser, King and Wilson. Same as Liverpool play it, three holding and creating and three with a license to roam.

Barcelona and Real Madrid too. I think we would flourish with it and always have.

Good report but will echo what others have said re Solanke, he played a very important role today in giving the side better balance. The thing is we don’t really need our number 10 to be an out and out goal scorer (although chipping in with a few would be nice) as we have so much goal threat throughout the team. We need him to hold the ball up, link play, provide movement between the lines and gel with Callum. All of which I feel Solanke contributed today.
This - we look a better balanced team with Solanke in the side. His hold-up play is excellent.

Lewis Cook was unbelievable. Those first ten minutes, showed what we have been missing for nine months, and set the tempo.

I also think Solanke offers a lot more than suggested in the report, and hope he gets a run of games now.

Agree with the rest.

Fridays' team should be interesting, genuinely going there with high optimism now.
I think that Lewis has come back into a different set up . He now knows that he has that license to play further up the pitch now that we have Billing and / or Lerma sitting deeper rather than Surman or Gosling. When either of the the latter played alongside him in the past he often seemed to play the deeper role.

Pretty much spot on this report.

I do think some of the improved balance is down to Solanke, who's a much better foil for Callum than King. It's true that he doesn't look like he'll get many goals though.

I think the three man midfield will be the right choice for the tougher away games.

Both full backs had periods where they struggled but to be fair to them they were both exposed a bit given the wide players ahead of them.

Which of the three wouldn’t you play for home games at the moment? Genuinely interested.

Which of the three wouldn’t you play for home games at the moment? Genuinely interested.

Very difficult. I'd be tempted to stick with a winning team at home (i.e. Cook and Billing) and be ruthless if someone's form dips. I think Geoff is arguably the best player we've ever had but he's not formed a solid partnership with anyone yet. They looked a pretty good partnership to me today.

I'd also be tempted with your suggestion of all three next week away from home. Fraser and King wide. Harsh on Solanke though.

Nice problems to have though.

Rico was great I thought. A couple misplaced passes, but tbh not sure they were his fault (e.g., Callum flat footed and not anticipating the ball). His assist was beautiful.
Billing was great too. So deadly in midfield.
Lewis Cook was excellent, although he gave me a heart attack once or twice when he tried to dribble through 2 attackers near our own box. He has to cut that out of his game but I'm sure Eddie will let him know about it.
Wee man came on and was electric, just like that Liverpool game.
King played better than he has in ages.
Solanke a bit anonymous but not bad.
Very happy with this result.
Who'd have thought that after 5 games we'd only be 3 points off Man City?!!

Very difficult. I'd be tempted to stick with a winning team at home (i.e. Cook and Billing) and be ruthless if someone's form dips. I think Geoff is arguably the best player we've ever had but he's not formed a solid partnership with anyone yet. They looked a pretty good partnership to me today.

I'd also be tempted with your suggestion of all three next week away from home. Fraser and King wide. Harsh on Solanke though.

Nice problems to have though.

I’d have all three of them every game and even Surman if one of them was injured and give the front three license to do what they want.

Personally thought playing Solanke made a big difference to our shape and seemed to give King the kick he needed, he was outstanding. Callum also excellent but thought Solanke was very good, he along with Lewis made a refreshing change. Also thought Rico close to an 8/10 but maybe being picky!
So glad Lewis got that ovation that he deserved.
I'm not picking anyone out but I have always said he was the midfielder we were missing when others said it was the blonde kid from Huddersfield and others. Lets just hope he can stay fit and produce this week after week because with Brooks and the others close to a return we really do have the potential to take down some sides this season.
Roll on Friday, Slug and Lettuce by 3pm aye!

Good report.

Ramsdale 8 MOM - Decent distribution and quick off his line; his best game so far imo. Kept us in the game at many points, so for that he’s my MoM.

Cook 6 - Might need a rewatch but not great? Solid enough, but played a lot of hospital balls throughout the game, seems to be struggling with injury still?

Agree on Ramsdale, some incredible saves.

Cook - hospital balls?

I’d have all three of them every game and even Surman if one of them was injured and give the front three license to do what they want.

I think we lose goal threat when we play with three in the middle. The wide players can get pinned back and Wilson gets isolated.

We had to add the extra man in there in our first Championship season after that drubbling at Watford it wasn't until we got Yann who gave us the link and goal threat we needed in a 4-4-1-1. Solanke could be that player for us at this level. He's got a big part to play.

;