Match Report and MOM v Forest

What I just can't follow is headline that proclaims a domination of Forest which then seeks to belittle that by doubting that even with the returning sick and injured that these players are good enough to create a squad strong enough to challenge this division.
I think you’re allowed some artistic licence when it comes to article headings or match report titles. I also don’t think Nottingham Forest are the yard stick in which to judge your side on whether or not you can challenge the entire division. That’s also from a one off game, ignoring the requirements of squad depth and consistency required for a full season tilt at promotion.

7 of the subs in that last game at Forest started yesterday. I think Solanke and Meps were both injured, Rossi was in Scotland, and only Marcondes wasn't attached to the club.

So the point that I would agree with is that the squad hasn't changed as dramatically as people want to believe, no key members of team that played in any of the first 10 games of last season has left except Begovic. Otherwise TopF's right, those that have gone were fringe and are covered by the U21s coming through. Lots of players out with injury but we don't know if we would have seen similar in last year if the more experienced players had also been unavailable. The whole point of having the sort of depth good enough to win Saturday is to handle this level of absences.

What I just can't follow is headline that proclaims a domination of Forest which then seeks to belittle that by doubting that even with the returning sick and injured that these players are good enough to create a squad strong enough to challenge this division. This squad is big enough and good enough already to make it to Jan, so we just need to hang on to everyone and be ready if we need to replace anyone that is likely or otherwise to leave, And above all give this group credit.
I’ve given this group immense credit, I called it relatively the best performance in years. This squad is not strong enough to win promotion which is the clubs stated aim, not mine. There is no cover for inevitable suspensions and injuries. We are playing the only young players the club deem ready. That’s my opinion. If it’s Scott Parker’s opinion we will sign players before transfer deadline day. If you are right he won’t.

I’ve given this group immense credit, I called it relatively the best performance in years. This squad is not strong enough to win promotion which is the clubs stated aim, not mine. There is no cover for inevitable suspensions and injuries. We are playing the only young players the club deem ready. That’s my opinion. If it’s Scott Parker’s opinion we will sign players before transfer deadline day. If you are right he won’t.

Is it his choice as head coach?

Lol You told everyone on here before the Coventry game last season that our squad was far too good for this division.....I think I remember you quoting the cost of the team that night compared to Coventry's.....that team btw was.....
Bego....
Smithy
Cookie
Mepham
Rico
Stacey
Gosling
Lcook
Lerma
Solanke
Surridge
The subs were:
Brooks... Billing...Ofoborh.... Travers.... Anthony..... Simpson

Are you seriously telling me that we couldn't put out a team to compete with that?

The only players missing from that Match day squad that you marveled at are.....Bego.....Rico.... Gosling.... Ofoborh and Simpson... Surridge....only Bego would be a starter now.....are you saying we would be a shoe in for top 2 if they had stayed?

We've since replaced them with .....Rossi.... Zemura..... Pearson.... Marcondes...Kilkenny....Davis.....I defy anyone to tell me that's not an improvement.

Last edited:
And Gosling is in the PL ( fit and available..he works hard at it )...gotta laugh !

Danjuma....Pearson...Lerma and El Cookio...ain't even made an appearance in this years Championship yet....hilarious !

Last edited:
Brian doesn't like any poster mentioning players that aren't ours, but is still obsessed by a thirty-something that wanted a longer contact than we were willing to offer.

Pathetic trolling.

And Gosling is in the PL...gotta laugh !

Danjuma....Pearson...Lerma ...ain't even made an appearance in this years Championship yet....hilarious !

It will be interesting to see how many minutes Gosling will get, He was brought on in the 69th minute with Watford 3-0 up, presumably to help close down the game, and it ended 3-2. Much as I liked Gosling, I'm happy with Pearson instead

Lol You told everyone on here before the Coventry game last season that our squad was far too good for this division.....I think I remember you quoting the cost of the team that night compared to Coventry's.....that team btw was.....
Bego....
Smithy
Cookie
Mepham
Rico
Stacey
Gosling
Lcook
Lerma
Solanke
Surridge
The subs were:
Brooks... Billing...Ofoborh.... Travers.... Anthony..... Simpson

Are you seriously telling me that we couldn't put out a team to compete with that?

The only players missing from that Match day squad that you marveled at are.....Bego.....Rico.... Gosling.... Ofoborh and Simpson.....only Bego would be a starter now.....are you saying we would be a shoe in for top 2 if they had stayed?

We've since replaced them with .....Rossi.... Zemura..... Pearson.... Marcondes...Kilkenny....Davis.....I defy anyone to tell me that's not an improvement.

You missed out Sudge going, but I think you make a very fair point.

I made it to the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Too often in the past AFCB would have crumbled after Brooks send-off, but Parker's marshalling of the troops was superb.

I'm putting my hard hat on here, but here is the xG, which is less rosy than you may have imagined from the comments.

Key incidents / impressions.

First 15 mins, we were under the cosh, nothing too hair-raising, but lots of promising positions for Forest. On 18 mins Billing has a possible chance that is tipped over. On 28 minutes Brooks scores what was a difficult chance (rated 1 in 20). Little happens before half time apart from a flurry of chances (three) for Forest in the 43rd minute.

Second half Forest equalise from what is rated to be a difficult chance. I still haven't seen whether it was a dive that won the free kick, but the ref gave the home team a lot of 50:50 calls, so I wouldn't be surprised. Billing then scored from a 9% chance. I think it is low because a decent keeper would have done much better, as Samba was beaten at the near post from a tight angle. Brooks almost immediately gets sent off but we manage to quieten the game with hardly a chance for 15 minutes for either side. (shots from offside positions don't count, and still haven't seen if Anthony's attempt should have stood)

Hughton eventually made some attacking substitutes but all Forest created was minor chances at best, Mepham sliding in well to clear before Grabban could get there.

View attachment 6206

In summary, a great result, great attitude, great game management, and great tactical switches from Parker but not a dominant performance.

I think I finally gave up on xG when PhilBill's goal in the home game, a side foot from the penalty spot with half the goal to aim at, was only given a 0.4

what was that all about?

It will be interesting to see how many minutes Gosling will get, He was brought on in the 69th minute with Watford 3-0 up, presumably to help close down the game, and it ended 3-2. Much as I liked Gosling, I'm happy with Pearson instead
I like Pearson immensely...When he Plays !.. a good replacement for several that have been tried in midfield.

I think I finally gave up on xG when PhilBill's effort from the west brom game, a side foot from the penalty spot with half the goal to aim at, was only given a 0.4

what was that all about?

Not sure it was quite as easy as you make out though as I think Billing needed to find the corner. I've seen plenty of forwards miss these. The subjectivity is what I like though, I think the forward may miss more often than he scores.

Capture2.JPG

Not sure it was quite as easy as you make out though as I think Billing needed to find the corner. I've seen plenty of forwards miss these. The subjectivity is what I like though, I think the forward may miss more often than he scores.

View attachment 6215
Agree, it's hardly the penalty spot and he hasn't got half the goal to aim at, if you draw a line from the middle fo the goal in that pic there are two defenders in the way. To avoid both he really had to aim for about the last 2-3 feet of the goal line before the post

And Gosling is in the PL ( fit and available..he works hard at it )...gotta laugh !

From the Watford site:

"Way off the pace, needs to be as far away from the team as possible"

"Was the critical reason for our regression in the second half"

"Added nothing"

Gotta laugh......

Agree, it's hardly the penalty spot and he hasn't got half the goal to aim at, if you draw a line from the middle fo the goal in that pic there are two defenders in the way. To avoid both he really had to aim for about the last 2-3 feet of the goal line before the post

It was on his weaker foot as well. Does xG take that into account?

We have had a decent start with a draw with WBA, one of the favourites...and a good 3 points away at Forest...with the several young, inexperienced 'reserves' padding out the First Eleven.
Now then...let's see what happens if/ when the ' big stars'...of 'stat' and 'price' fame return to the Team ....changing a steady, performing outfit...
Then we will see how boring I've been ...it could go several ways !

.... :unsure: I' m ready for any sh*t coming inboard to me if I've warranted it... and hope so too if the results get even better...we will see!

;