Match Report and MOM v Stoke

Good report Neil, would give Gosling an 8 though. Anyone else see Nick Hancock milling about? I saw him before and after the game on his mobile. I shouted "He thinks it's all over!" at him after the game. I know, such a wit me!

DJ - 3/2/2018 21:09

rgb - 3/2/2018 20:38

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, Stoke's armchair-managers are making our more knee-jerk writers on here, look erudite and reasonable.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/276551/bournemouth-stoke-city

Gosling was a good shout for MoM today; Cook(L) had a mostly good game but could have easily landed us a defeat wth some of his very risky on-ball play, when last man before Begovic.

Francis made a couple of woeful decisions in the 1st half (especially that hoof high in the air to the edge of our box) but had a captains game in the 2nd-half and was as good as any other player on the park in the second 45.

What was with all the hand-patting, every time one of their players clogged one of ours to the deck? 'That's alright pal, I've got another leg, so you might as well try and break this one.....' sprung to mind.

Good support from the away fans, hope they enjoyed their trip home after a lovely day out and well done on the goal.
<I>
Bojan Mackey Avatar Bojan Mackey
All Time Stoke City XI
4 hours ago

I hope Bournemouth liquidate and the whole playing squad gets Ebola.

</I>

Seems a tad extreme...

Fair play to the bloke though; it’s sounds remarkably like something i’ve been saying about Arsenal for the last 50 years.

reflecting back on the game I really think this was one of our biggest wins of the season . after the madness of chelsea the risk of throwing it all away against the anti football Stoke was very high. to fight back and win gave me great satisfaction . I couldn't work out EH substitutions at first and thought they were crazy but then thats why he is manager and I am not !
A massive 3 points and proof we can dig deep and grind out results.

redharry - 4/2/2018 00:27

reflecting back on the game I really think this was one of our biggest wins of the season . after the madness of chelsea the risk of throwing it all away against the anti football Stoke was very high. to fight back and win gave me great satisfaction . I couldn't work out EH substitutions at first and thought they were crazy but then thats why he is manager and I am not !
A massive 3 points and proof we can dig deep and grind out results.

Absolutely. I'd have been pleased enough with a draw but to win under such tricky circumstances and maintain our momentum will probably prove crucial in securing our forth top flight season.

Eddie has been criticised this year and not without reason... but... one thing he has that always amazes me is how he can turn it round despite morale sapping runs of form. It shouldn't be surprising because he's done this every season he's been a manager - We have always had blips and always recovered. This is why I would never get rid of him even if we went down.

This game really highlighted how important fitness is in this league. Stoke made three changes and still couldn't keep up with us by the 70th minute. No doubt the fresh legs of King and The Moose helped.

Massive win..... Eddie is a god and will forever be but when s.cook went off there was no other option than to go 442 especially as king was the person he loves to shoehorn in (or wilson, take your pick who's injured) simpson was never going to be given responsibility to do the job. We took a while to get going but we looked decent second half, we would have lost this game beginning of this season or last but we have a bit of grit now..... lewis cook was a class above second half. UTCIAD

NWCherries98 - 3/2/2018 19:39

This game really highlighted how important fitness is in this league. Stoke made three changes and still couldn't keep up with us by the 70th minute. No doubt the fresh legs of King and The Moose helped.
i thought he made a double sub after they went behind? But yeah. It’s the second time we looked fitter than the opposition at the end. West Ham away was the other recent example.

rgb - 3/2/2018 14:38

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, Stoke's armchair-managers are making our more knee-jerk writers on here, look erudite and reasonable.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/276551/bournemouth-stoke-city

Gosling was a good shout for MoM today; Cook(L) had a mostly good game but could have easily landed us a defeat wth some of his very risky on-ball play, when last man before Begovic.

Francis made a couple of woeful decisions in the 1st half (especially that hoof high in the air to the edge of our box) but had a captains game in the 2nd-half and was as good as any other player on the park in the second 45.

What was with all the hand-patting, every time one of their players clogged one of ours to the deck? 'That's alright pal, I've got another leg, so you might as well try and break this one.....' sprung to mind.

Good support from the away fans, hope they enjoyed their trip home after a lovely day out and well done on the goal.

The Stoke posters on that forum seem to use the word "Wan-k" rather excessively, they do come across as a bunch of real useless to$$ers :think:

I thought Gosling was comfortably our best player. King was really bad, then suddenly scored from nothing. I hope we will see him back to his old self soon. Also, I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Stoke's goal was an absolute howler from Ake. No way on this world he should have allowed Shaqiri the space between him and Daniels.

Overall scrappy game but we all knew Stoke would accept nothing less.

That Stoke forum highly entertaining read.

Makes us look like we deeply care about each other....(which of course, secretly, we do).

dragonm8 - 3/2/2018 21:43

Gosling potential MOM?

Really?

Does he get 5 points just for being on the pitch?

Every time he controls the ball it goes 3 yards in god knows any direction away from him. Dodgy positional sense and the usual odd suicide ball.

I though Neil’s 7 was a point generous.

Well his first touch played a key part in the equaliser...

Seriously though everyone knows (sorry, everyone apart from you) that Dan's first touch isn't the greatest but recognise his incredible workrate, stamina, temperament, will to win, defensive qualities, eye for goal and how he clearly and obviously complements Lewis Cook's game.

You've previously claimed some coaching credentials dragon so it's strange that you haven't read the partnerships and team balance chapter yet.

To be fair though, reading's tough when you've got a massive blind spot.

Gosling makes mistakes, but is hugely influential. He fills space, covers ground, intercepts in a way that no one else does. He has been a key part of the recent run. When the team are on it we can soak up mistakes.

The collective spirit is impressive. Together anything is possible.

Went on that Stoke Oatcake earlier - hilarious! Funnier than Watford's or Hammers. Northern humour has the edge! If they really mean it - that's even better. Our football has the influence and impact to bring that stuff out of a brain. Having said that I think Souness and Thompson as a double act could give them tips! Spent time in Stoke and know they are a minority thank god!

fritter - 4/2/2018 10:31

Gosling makes mistakes, but is hugely influential. He fills space, covers ground, intercepts in a way that no one else does. He has been a key part of the recent run. When the team are on it we can soak up mistakes.

The collective spirit is impressive. Together anything is possible.

Now that’s the club tag line we simply haven’t heard or believed in for awhile ! Our recent run is bringing back that belief .

SlowDownDerek - 4/2/2018 00:36

Eddie has been criticised this year and not without reason... but... one thing he has that always amazes me is how he can turn it round despite morale sapping runs of form. It shouldn't be surprising because he's done this every season he's been a manager - We have always had blips and always recovered. This is why I would never get rid of him even if we went down.

This.

In particular, in 12/13, once we hit the top in February, losing 5 in a row to drop to 7th with 8 games to go, then recovering to clinch auto promotion with a game to spare.

First Prem season.. the injuries and dropping into the bottom 3 prior to winning at Chelsea..

The sticky spell we suffered following the Arsenal game last season and the performances went worryingly downhill.. then recovering to lose to only Chelsea and Spurs in the last ten games.

I was concerned that we were sinking into real trouble after the City result.. but at the same time, being more than capable of turning it around.

So it proved...
And we've not spent a thing in the transfer window either.

We always seem to find a way to recover.

Amos of Springbourne - 3/2/2018 22:46

Good report Neil, would give Gosling an 8 though. Anyone else see Nick Hancock milling about? I saw him before and after the game on his mobile. I shouted "He thinks it's all over!" at him after the game. I know, such a wit me!

Wow I bet he has never heard that before

BillMcgarrycherry - 3/2/2018 22:11

Francis and Gosling have taken some stick this season but come out every time giving 100%. Most of the criticism is total rubbish by people with illusions of some newspaper headhunting football writers to sign them up. Gosling is a massive asset and Franno giving it a damn good possible swansong season. Wouldn't bet against him surviving another season.

I've wanted us to sign a right sided defender and phase Franno out for a while now, but i certainly wouldn't want this season to be his last here!

Played right of a 3 he's still perfectly useful, just not in a middle two and especially not at full back. Not to mention his experience in the dressing room, off the bench etc.

Like many of our legends, it's just finding a role he's happy to have as his first choice status reduces in future. When like Harry they want to move on, find the best move for them we can.

Stoke fans lol
The way that this season is going, I think we will go to Bournemouth and win.
Or we might leave half the team there to retire in an old folks home.

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/276551/bournemouth-stoke-city#ixzz56B2kaAq3

USCherry - 4/2/2018 02:27

NWCherries98 - 3/2/2018 19:39

i thought he made a double sub after they went behind? But yeah. It’s the second time we looked fitter than the opposition at the end. West Ham away was the other recent example.

I meant he made three changes before the game.

;