Match Report and MOM v Stoke

Jim_AFCB - 4/2/2018 20:57

SlowDownDerek - 4/2/2018 00:36

Eddie has been criticised this year and not without reason... but... one thing he has that always amazes me is how he can turn it round despite morale sapping runs of form. It shouldn't be surprising because he's done this every season he's been a manager - We have always had blips and always recovered. This is why I would never get rid of him even if we went down.

This.

In particular, in 12/13, once we hit the top in February, losing 5 in a row to drop to 7th with 8 games to go, then recovering to clinch auto promotion with a game to spare.

First Prem season.. the injuries and dropping into the bottom 3 prior to winning at Chelsea..

The sticky spell we suffered following the Arsenal game last season and the performances went worryingly downhill.. then recovering to lose to only Chelsea and Spurs in the last ten games.

I was concerned that we were sinking into real trouble after the City result.. but at the same time, being more than capable of turning it around.

So it proved...
And we've not spent a thing in the transfer window either.

We always seem to find a way to recover.

Not forgetting the championship winning season too Jim - 3 wins in 11 and cries of “ no plan B “ and “ Tinpot bottlers “ etc.
Then we beat Wolves at home 2-1 and Fulham Away 5-1 in a week and we never looked back :dance:

It is strange we go through bad periods then come out of them as if nothing happened. We must have strong character and howe seems to make sure our moral is always high

I think this is a point that is often dismissed by those that accuse Howe of excessive loyalty to the 'old gaurd' and also of only pursuing certain types of players. The team spirit has been the truly exceptional characteristic of our team as opposed to standout players.

Howe obviously likes to maintain a tight-knit group, doesn't like to have language barriers and likes to 'reward' players by giving them chances in the cups. He also has never seemed to stand in player's way if they feel they need a move to further their career - even if it isn't necessarily in the best interests of the club. He is fiercely loyal to his players.

I think this should be born in mind when people are calling for us to bring in cheap foreign players or for him to ship out the old guard. This is just not how he operates and you've got to take the rough with the smooth.

There was a 5 live pre-season chat show in our first season in the Premier League. Tony Pulis was asked who he thought would be our key players if we were to stand any chance of staying up. His response: 'The team'. He expanded by saying it was the collective spirit that had helped get us and would be essential if we were to stay up. Seems like he and Eddie are of one mind, at least on thata point.

;