Match Report and MOM v West Ham

I have to slightly disagree with you Ricki39. Yes the holding began outside the penalty area but continued into the penalty area. This offence is actually punished with a penalty kick and depending upon the circumstances can also be a DOGSO resulting in a red card. Have another look at Law 12 mate. As a result it can be reviewed by VAR.
how many times has a foul started outside the area and continued into it and a free kick been given? nearly everytime the red would give a free kick, I wasnt saying it wasnt a foul

Just a comment on Cresswell's 'goal' yesterday.

This is no criticism of Cook whatsoever, but it actually went in off him.

I've lost count of how many times the poor sod has got the last touch over the past few years.

Very harsh on H Wilson. I would agree in general that he's not contributed much to open play, but yesterday was he's best yet in that department. Several nice runs and slipped passes into forwards, one of which should have won us the game but for Callum's mistake. Needs to help his full back a bit more though.

Definitely worth more than a 4. Poor marking Neil!

If a foul 'starts' outside the box the ref can ignore it and play on. The foul 'continues' in the box and it's a foul in the box surely. Penalty.

Use VAR for goals and offside only. The penalties thing is stupid.

A few thoughts
Rambo- fantastic again really can’t fault him in any way. One superb save and solid throughout. We really have struck gold here.
Stacey- thought he had a good game. Great going forward and made a couple of key interventions at the back. Caught out too high up the pitch a few times in the first half however which left us exposed. Not helped at all by the lack of defensive protection in front of him.
Rico- thought he was brilliant and just shaded by Lerma for MOTM. Such a classy player. His passing and vision at times is on a different level and his delivery is on point. Always feel we have a chance when he’s about to whip the ball in.
Ake- actually thought he was below par today (ducks for cover) defending for the first goal was poor, Yarmolenko is a good player for sure but very one footed so why let him turn onto his left foot in the centre of the box so easily? Should have defended that much better imo. Also completely lost Ogbonna from a corner in the first half which was lucky not to result in a goal. A few other shakes moments too but otherwise did okay.
Cook- solid again. Maybe poor positioning for the second goal when the ball initially came in? Stacey looked very isolated on the back post. But in all felt he had a good game.
H Wilson- actually thought that going forward today he was more effective than some are making out. Involved in many neat passages of play with some very nice passes, going forward linked well with Stacey. My main issue with him is the complete lack of defensive cover that he provides to his full back. Time and time again Stacey found himself being attacked 2 on 1 with HW nowhere to be seen. Eventually it cost us on the second goal. Imo as poor as Fraser has been this season if he is on the pitch at that point there is a good chance we don’t concede that goal.
King- good performance full of running and battling. Nice little ball to Wilson for his goal. Struggled a bit defensively to support Rico against the blistering pace of Fredericks but nowhere near to the extent of HW.
Lerma- dominant. Calm. Composed. Imperious. MOTM.
Billing- worked hard and covered a lot of ground. V unlucky not to score with a shot that went agonisingly wide of the post. Gave the ball away in dangerous areas a couple of times however which is unusual for him.
Solanke- good performance full of intelligent link play, clever passing and good hold up. The number 10 we have been lacking to knit the team together. People need to understand that his game is about far more than just scoring goals. If he plays like he has been for the rest of the season and keeps helping the team to pick up results I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t score all season.
Wilson- mixed game, one clinical finish and missed an absolute sitter which is the pivotal moment in the game. If that goes in (and VAR don’t make up a reason to rule it out) we win the game. West Ham go straight up the other end and score, however we still should have defended the goal better and strikers do naturally miss chances so cannot blame Wilson for not picking up the points imo. Worked hard as did Solanke.
Danjuma- promising. Looked more of an inside forward than an out and out winger. Some nice touches and clever positioning. First game back too so obviously more to come.
Cook and Franno- NA.
VAR- by far the worst performer of the day. Completely ruined the enjoyment of the day and completely sucks the passion from the game. I can’t stand it, never know whether to celebrate a goal or not and am never convinced that a goal will be given until the other team actually kicks off. Absolutely ludicrous in my opinion. I’d rather we had lost that game based on poor refereeing decisions/marginal offside calls going incorrectly against us than have to put up with this s**t. It is a joke. Football is passion, take away the passion and what do you have left?

Cracking entertainment. Some fine individual displays esp Lerma. Could have should have got a 3rd. Not for first time undone by goals from deep crosses nodded back from beyond far post.
Exciting times with this squad.

Just watched the goals back this morning. Absolutely shocking defending for second. Cresswell with acres of space to run into with H Wilson seemingly completely unaware of his responsibility to track the man

As others have said Solanke played really well in the 10 role. Being harsh though, he is offering no goal threat in that role, so when Brooks is back, I just feel he’s going to link midfield to attack that bit better without diminishing the goal threat.

The frustrating for me is the defence. We are on course to concede 70 goals for the season again having not had a particular tough schedule so far. It just seems we can defend well for long periods only to switch off at vital moments and get punished. If we could just stop these lapses, this side should comfortably be looking at 50+ points

As others have said Solanke played really well in the 10 role. Being harsh though, he is offering no goal threat in that role, so when Brooks is back, I just feel he’s going to link midfield to attack that bit better without diminishing the goal threat.

The frustrating for me is the defence. We are on course to concede 70 goals for the season again having not had a particular tough schedule so far. It just seems we can defend well for long periods only to switch off at vital moments and get punished. If we could just stop these lapses, this side should comfortably be looking at 50+ points
It would help if we kept hold of the ball better. Our eagerness to get the ball forward as quickly as possible means we tend to sacrifice possession too much putting us under pressure far too often than need be. That's obviously how Eddie wants to play it, but yesterday I could just tell unless we got that third goal, West Ham would eventually equalise

A natural number ten and a defensive coach. That’s all we are missing for top seven. All the rest had been brilliantly put in place.

Been thinking the same for a couple years!

Yes did seem that way, when they got a free kick on edge of area.
Even if rico did foul him, the yellow seemed very harsh, and some much stronger fouls that didn't get booked
Agreed, I find it absolutely baffling that Rico gets a booking for the slightest of tugs to the arm then later a player has a handful of King’s shirt and it is deemed not an offence by not only the ref, the lino but also the refs in the VAR bunker.

Agreed, I find it absolutely baffling that Rico gets a booking for the slightest of tugs to the arm then later a player has a handful of King’s shirt and it is deemed not an offence by not only the ref, the lino but also the refs in the VAR bunker.
Not a surprise Noble was reffing the game as usual- not surprising JT got upset.

Thought King deserved the MOTM award.

Really liked the brief look at Danjuma. Very calm and assured on the ball and hit a lovely cross field pass early on. Looks pretty quick too. An Ake number two !

Don't get why Eddie didn't get subs on prior to us conceedeing the last goal. It seemed pretty clear that fatigue was affecting us particularly Wilson (H).
He's a great manager but very reluctant and slow to bring on subs until either we've conceded or too late in the game.

Good enjoyable game though and great positives to see an improving Solanke and Stacey, the feisty Billing / Lerma midfield, and Franno back. Yes …. he can lack a little pace sometimes but a great footballing brain with plenty of determination and experience.

With a fully fit squad this could be one heck of a season.

Also interesting listening to Eddie post match Solent Interview ……. the emphasis of his question answering has definitely changed from every point counts stance to a frustration when not getting three.

Managed to get a ticket for this one and really glad I did. Some thoughts from the game.
Ramsdale excellent again. I didn't think he could do much about either goal. 8.
Rico was very good, did pretty much everything required of a LB in a team that's so attacking. Great passing and corners and defended well. 8.
Stacey a big improvement despite one diabolical back pass in the 2nd half, which was balanced by a fantastic cross field pass to Wilson, so nearly contributed to a goal at either end. 7
Cook and Ake,a good combo of speed and agility, Ake, and solid defence and blocking, Cook. 7 each.
Lerma, calm and collected, although another yellow. 8
Billing, excellent with ball at his feet but I've thought for a while that his heading is often poor for a big man. Not in the box, but in midfield he seems to mistime his jumps or doesn't position himself well so he doesn't get much power or direction on it. 7.
H Wilson was okay, but I thought he should have had a shot rather than passed to Wilson Snr. I'd prefer Brooks in his position when he's fit. 6
Solanke very good at linking play, some good runs and battled away often against 3 opposition players. 7.5.
King, may be my favourite player. Must strike fear into the heart of the opposition when he's bearing down on them at speed. Good goal and should have had a penalty.8.
C Wilson, scored again, but should've had 2. 7.5.
I thought AFCB were as good as, and mostly better than, West Ham in every position, although I wouldn't mind Ogbona and Rice looked very good.
I agree with others that it's frustrating that EH often doesn't use his subs until it's too late, fresh legs and all that.
Great atmosphere, although I'm only ever in the complimentary seats, which means I'm often the only one leaping to his feet and not looking at his phone.

I wasn’t able to be there today but have just caught the highlights, so, to add to the Harry Wilson debate, he played at least 2 delightful, perfectly weighted passes to put Callum in. Unfortunately he was denied the second by a good save.
He was hustled off the ball a little too easily in the first half but he grew into the game and created some excellent chances second half when the game opened up a little. A lot of our best play came down the right hand through him and Stacey. I was surprised when he was subbed. He was playing well.

;