Match Report and MoM v Wolves

Agree entirely wit the report Neil. A particular concern is how physically lightweight we have become. Up against muscular sides we are getting pushed back time and again H Wilson, L Cook, Fraser combined are becoming a high risk combination. We need some physicality alongside Lerma and I m not sure it is in the squad. A latter day Marvin Bartley or Anton Robinson type player with PL credentials maybe.

I don’t care where we finish. We are in a league we can’t win. All I want is entertainment and a team playing to their potential. Sometimes in this league that will get us in the top ten sometimes it won’t. Playing on the counter attack at home, rarely having shots on goal, seeing talent going to waste and having no interest in cups is not what I signed up for. League positions I don’t give a toss about.
"I don't care, League positions I don’t give a toss about."
Guess what Neil we do. we don't want to be hanging around the bottom biting our nails every week hoping for a point here and there like Saints do.

I don’t care where we finish. We are in a league we can’t win. All I want is entertainment and a team playing to their potential. Sometimes in this league that will get us in the top ten sometimes it won’t. Playing on the counter attack at home, rarely having shots on goal, seeing talent going to waste and having no interest in cups is not what I signed up for. League positions I don’t give a toss about.

Unfortunately that is what the team you support signed up for.
Regarding the entertainment, this was always going to happen, we were arguably playing the best football in the country 5 years ago. We were never going to sustain that forever. Second half performances like today will do for me because if we play like that results will follow. I just want to see us go for it next Saturday with nothing to lose like the second half today.

Completely agree with you Neil. Send it into Eddie or Perrett. The set up made us awful in the first half. We had a ring of five in an arc around the pitch at the back with Callum Wilson isolated up front like the fairy on a Christmas tree, Callum's game is not receiving the ball with his back to the goal although he was isolated up front because of the system.

We actually would have done better starting with 10! Out of our seven sending's off in the Premier League four have been Simon Francis. At least that keeps him out of our team for Spurs.

On the second half performance we deserved a point.

MOM for me was Steve Cook. I thought he had a good solid game.

"I don't care, League positions I don’t give a toss about."
Guess what Neil we do. we don't want to be hanging around the bottom biting our nails every week hoping for a point here and there like Saints do.

We all want different things out of a football team. I got more enjoyment out of the team that stayed in league two than I have out of this seasons team. I reached the conclusion awhile back that if you follow a club with no expectation then what you look for is a spirit and identity, entertainment and looking to have a right go every game against teams regardless of name and talent.

Playing on the break at home? Never taking risks gambling forwards, Never trying to win any cups? In the last five games we have scored once in open play and from two set pieces. These are the things we laughed at Tony Pulis teams for. Now we are that side.

I'm sure you'll forgive me for not reading all of your report Neil...I'll try and get around to it one day......I expect it's nothing I haven't read before tbf.....agree the player ratings actually apart from Lewis Cook who was every bit as bad as Billing ....quite why you think he was out numbered by the system when it was the same system Wolves played is slightly baffling tbh....isn't that the system that you thought was definitely the way we should set up not so long ago btw?

God that first half was bad. It’s just as well it was only Wolves and not Leicester. I can’t for the life of me understand why Eddie thought a 3-4-3 formation, which you ask the full backs and wingers to play higher, would be effective against 2 of the quickest wingers in the league.

Anyway can’t be arsed to focus on the negatives so I’ll mention a few positives!

1. We aren’t as bad as Southampton. That might have been a 0-7 if we’d not rolled our sleeves up after HT
2. Lerma is just so good. Not only his defensive work but he just gives us that pivot for other players to play around
3. Callum really put himself about in the 2nd half and made himself a nuisance. He obviously took on board the rocket he received at HT
4. Danjuma looks like he understands how to play in a front 3 more than anyone else in our squad. He hasn’t convinced me previously, but now he’s fully fit he showed excellent pace and dribbling. Almost like the player Ibe was supposed to be but for less money.
5. Eddie’s post match interview suggested he’d genuinely accepted he made mistakes today and would learn from it.

While I agree with Eddie calling the game when he put out the team sheet, the suggestion that our coaching team cannot coach players with more skill than they ever had is total and utter nonsense that a very brief look at the best managers currently and in the past will prove.

I'm sure you'll forgive me for not reading all of your report Neil...I'll try and get around to it one day......I expect it's nothing I haven't read before tbf.....agree the player ratings actually apart from Lewis Cook who was every bit as bad as Billing ....quite why you think he was out numbered by the system when it was the same system Wolves played is slightly baffling tbh....isn't that the system that you thought was definitely the way we should set up not so long ago btw?

LOL Lewis Cooks biggest fan doesnt like the rating.

I thought he was one of the few bright players in the first half.

We all want different things out of a football team. I got more enjoyment out of the team that stayed in league two than I have out of this seasons team. I reached the conclusion awhile back that if you follow a club with no expectation then what you look for is a spirit and identity, entertainment and looking to have a right go every game against teams regardless of name and talent.

Playing on the break at home? Never taking risks gambling forwards, Never trying to win any cups? In the last five games we have scored once in open play and from two set pieces. These are the things we laughed at Tony Pulis teams for. Now we are that side.

Blimey, have you been at the drinks cabinet? It really isn't that bad! I've seen worse Bournemouth sides and performances than i care to remember in nearly 40 years, maybe age is affecting your memory!!!
I take it you don't get excited about playing in the top division anymore either?

Blimey, have you been at the drinks cabinet? It really isn't that bad! I've seen worse Bournemouth sides and performances than i care to remember in nearly 40 years, maybe age is affecting your memory!!!
I take it you don't get excited about playing in the top division anymore either?
Of course I am proud to be in the Premier League but am less excited about it since we changed our style of football (the odd game aside) I don’t like low possession counter attacking football. Just my personal view. I’d rather be in the championship going at teams than looking to play on the break in the premier league. I don’t think we are any better for the change but even if we were I wouldn’t prefer it.

Of course I don’t mind you not reading it... it’s quite a tome, particularly if you’ve already made up your mind what is in it like you say.

We were outnumbered playing the same system because they pushed the fullbacks into midfield and pressed high and we kept ours back and didn’t press. A system is only as good as your understanding and execution of it.

While I agree with Eddie calling the game when he put out the team sheet, the suggestion that our coaching team cannot coach players with more skill than they ever had is total and utter nonsense that a very brief look at the best managers currently and in the past will prove.
I’m not saying they can’t coach them because they weren’t good players I’m saying they can’t coach them because they are not good enough coaches collectively. Since the old guard has retired we have gone backwards with better players playing old fashioned formations.

Of course I don’t mind you not reading it... it’s quite a tome, particularly if you’ve already made up your mind what is in it like you say.

We were outnumbered playing the same system because they pushed the fullbacks into midfield and pressed high and we kept ours back and didn’t press. A system is only as good as your understanding and execution of it.
Outnumbering us probably isn’t the right phrase. They dominated us in midfield because they have played 3-4-3 for 2 and a half seasons with Neves and Mourinho together for the best part of 2 seasons.

We only play this system when Eddie feels the need to match things up. The mistake is trying to take on a side that’s comfortable in their system when we are so experimental

Outnumbering us probably isn’t the right phrase. They dominated us in midfield because they have played 3-4-3 for 2 and a half seasons with Neves and Mourinho together for the best part of 2 seasons.

We only play this system when Eddie feels the need to match things up. The mistake is trying to take on a side that’s comfortable in their system when we are so experimental

Look at where Doherty and Jonny kept turning up though... high up the pitch which meant Traore and Jota could move central and ‘out number’ the midfield. Look at how often we had to foul Traore in central positions.

You don’t just look at a formation on paper. Back in the championship/ early Prem when we used to play with overloading full backs and Surman dropping into the middle of defence when they did it we were in reality a 3-5–1-1 but lined up officially as a 4-4-1-1.

Everything to be said has been said,but like others,i was truly astonished at the formation change and inclusion of Franno,when the obvious change was either Solanke for King,or H Wilson in the ten role with Danjuma on the wing.
I actually feel sorry for Jack Stacey,who has been dropped from the team just when he was starting to improve,and now seems to be behind Francis.
Its a great shame that our greatest ever manager is found wanting tactically again and again,when we shoukd be achieving so much more with this talented squad of players.

In one sense I feel we should dominate all home games throughout 90 mins..with the exception of Liverpool and MC ...with our old rampaging style..assuming a settled side all playing in their comfortable positions...
....but then in another sense I get ...oh christ if you took Ake out i.e. sold him in January and the goals stay dried up with Callum and Ryan drifting in and out of form...then we could be relegated with say Watford and Brighton by a revitalised Soton in the last home game ...in the worst case scenario.

Of course we have Brooks to come back and help rediscover our potency.....hope is always lurking!

I dont think you can just swipe aside Neil's or anyone elses misgivings.....I seem to detect a good degree of pragmatism and a general common sense theme in his posts..... and now we have come this far ..he would like to see us at least produce exciting entertainment and be taken seriously....regardless of us being maybe eternally entrenched in mid- table.
Here I am giving it Rambling Sid Rumpole ...but if we want to stay South Coast Kings and the Bootneck Barcelona tribute act...we need to keep Eddie keen with a bit of constructive criticism when its warranted...its our duty really as fans...and he knows that.
Its a funny old week...Jose dominating the headlines....and theyve left it to us to grind him and ground him next week !

Ive just been thinking...aside from all that....how can VAR be Valid if it is not used at grass roots and kids football....everything in the game should be universally applied ?
The fact that financially and practically thats impossible...makes the whole thing a farce!

Last edited:
Look at where Doherty and Jonny kept turning up though... high up the pitch which meant Traore and Jota could move central and ‘out number’ the midfield. Look at how often we had to foul Traore in central positions.

You don’t just look at a formation on paper. Back in the championship/ early Prem when we used to play with overloading full backs and Surman dropping into the middle of defence when they did it we were in reality a 3-5–1-1 but lined up officially as a 4-4-1-1.
I don’t disagree and I can definitely see how we pushed out full backs high in the Championship (and to an extent) the early PL years.

I could post average position graphs but they mean nothing. It is a little bit sad that Eddie feels the need to include a third defender to deviate from the beloved 4-4-2

We looked a lot more comfortable playing 4-2-3 in the 2nd half. Finally Danjuma showed what a player who’s played a 4-3-3 all his life can do.

I’m not going to blame the formation too much today. Everyone underperformed. I just feel having that extra body on midfield would be so much more beneficial than having an extra CB.

In his post match interview, Eddie himself admitted he got the formation and personnel wrong. Next week at Spurs, let’s get our standard back 4, a three in midfield and build from that base.

Everything to be said has been said,but like others,i was truly astonished at the formation change and inclusion of Franno,when the obvious change was either Solanke for King,or H Wilson in the ten role with Danjuma on the wing.
I actually feel sorry for Jack Stacey,who has been dropped from the team just when he was starting to improve,and now seems to be behind Francis.
Its a great shame that our greatest ever manager is found wanting tactically again and again,when we shoukd be achieving so much more with this talented squad of players.

Absolutely right, Stacey was doing so well in our bang average wins against Everton & Southampton ;-)
The only good thing about yesterday is Francis won't be available at Spurs on Saturday.
I could sense Eddie was desperate to shoe horn his captain in somewhere along the line, I was just shocked to see it yesterday and not in the FA Cup reserve game in January.

;