Match Report: Avalanche of Spurs goals Sweep Bournemouth away:

Thanks. He always seems to be demotivated whenever we play the 'big sides' and lose by a fair margin... Most likely all the team were but he was far more noticeable... he seemed to be scared of having the ball today...

I'd agree with that, he was to blame for a couple of goals at end Nov start Dec time, he reacted quite badly, taking too much blame. I wonder if that is still hanging over him somewhat

Eddies only Achilles heel now is his lack of effective formations/plan b.

Ah the call for the infamous plan b.

Despite regularly seeing a game plan of either possession based game or trying to play on the counter.

Despite different systems and formations being picked, different players being played in different roles.

I guess it is the time of year to roll out monotonous repeats...

Ah the call for the infamous plan b.

Despite regularly seeing a game plan of either possession based game or trying to play on the counter.

Despite different systems and formations being picked, different players being played in different roles.

I guess it is the time of year to roll out monotonous repeats...

That’s a bit harsh DJ.

If you think we have effectively developed a formation that isn’t 4-4-1-1 then please tell me what it is and how many games we have consistently played it for. Yes through injuries or cup necessity we have the odd blast at something using different personnel. We scurry back to what we know at the first defeat. That defeat normally caused because we don’t understand the system.

We also force players not comfortable against world class pressure to pass the ball out from a flat back four to an overrun midfield duo. Because they are only allowed to play one way. It ends up with them embarrassed and losing confidence. We don’t use our considerable pace up front to play direct into channels and ease the pressure on us. No...it’s Daniels trying to find Surman with a short one everytime.

We have to try some new things against the top teams at least.

If Eddie doesn’t go on to fulfill his potential with a major job it will be this lack of flexibility that will cost him. Three flat lines won’t be sanctioned by the game’s elite.

There is one simple fault that we repeat again and again. It's trying to play it out all of the time. There are occasions when the best option is to kick it away, hard. Anywhere up the field. Let Wilson, Fraser or King chase it.

Unforced and unnecessary errors. We could eliminate those immediately.

Special mention for the pass into the middle when in our own half.

There is one simple fault that we repeat again and again. It's trying to play it out all of the time. There are occasions when the best option is to kick it away, hard. Anywhere up the field. Let Wilson, Fraser or King chase it.

Spot on Frits.

Now brace yourself for the usual myopic suspects completely misunderstanding your desire to occasionally move the ball quicker under pressure away at Liverpool and think actually what you mean is getting Pulis in.

Special prize for the first amoeba brain that starts their post ‘I tell you what Fritter, why don’t we just put Fletch back in the team and launch it at him’

That’s a bit harsh DJ.

If you think we have effectively developed a formation that isn’t 4-4-1-1 then please tell me what it is and how many games we have consistently played it for. Yes through injuries or cup necessity we have the odd blast at something using different personnel. We scurry back to what we know at the first defeat. That defeat normally caused because we don’t understand the system.

We also force players not comfortable against world class pressure to pass the ball out from a flat back four to an overrun midfield duo. Because they are only allowed to play one way. It ends up with them embarrassed and losing confidence. We don’t use our considerable pace up front to play direct into channels and ease the pressure on us. No...it’s Daniels trying to find Surman with a short one everytime.

We have to try some new things against the top teams at least.

If Eddie doesn’t go on to fulfill his potential with a major job it will be this lack of flexibility that will cost him. Three flat lines won’t be sanctioned by the game’s elite.
I honestly don't think we look much better when we're launching it forward. There have been times when a defence splitting pass has worked though, and perhaps it is an option.

I certainly don't see Eddie as a one-track manager/coach.

"Kick it away, hard" isn't really a sensible tactic. The ball comes straight back. You're basically advocating giving away a repeat cycle of possession and trying to win it back to lump up front.

The question of on-pitch leadership comes onto the agenda. Apart from Cook at the back - a battler - we don’t have players who lead by example when things are going wrong. Sorry to say that Francis often dishes out blame, even as captain. We badly need January recruits, including at least one “PL ready” player (I’d say in midfield) who’s a motivator.

Am I asking for too much? Can we afford it? There is surely ample money in the bank (stadium fiasco etc) and not buying decent talent would be a false economy IMO, especially if JD exits.

Spot on Frits.

Now brace yourself for the usual myopic suspects completely misunderstanding your desire to occasionally move the ball quicker under pressure away at Liverpool and think actually what you mean is getting Pulis in.

Special prize for the first amoeba brain that starts their post ‘I tell you what Fritter, why don’t we just put Fletch back in the team and launch it at him’
Just to add I'm more than happy to join Eddie and the other myopics ;-)

"Kick it away, hard" isn't really a sensible tactic. The ball comes straight back. You're basically advocating giving away a repeat cycle of possession and trying to win it back to lump up front.

Agreed if it’s your sole plan but under pressure at Anfield Rob to regroup?

When you analyse our play against top teams we tend to get hunted down pass aimlessly around the back too hurriedly and then give it to Begovic to launch it... what’s the difference? It’s worse because he does a looping Wimbledonesque high ball rather than a targeted one into a channel.

Agreed if it’s your sole plan but under pressure at Anfield Rob to regroup?

When you analyse our play against top teams we tend to get hunted down pass aimlessly around the back too hurriedly and then give it to Begovic to launch it... what’s the difference? It’s worse because he does a looping Wimbledonesque high ball rather than a targeted one into a channel.
I think you're forgetting the fairly high ratio of balls to Francis which he usually won.

Our passing game is under pressure at the moment, as seen also at Wolves. But I believe you get your confidence back by getting better at those things. I also think the incisive pass can be a really effective weapon and we have seen it recently, so I disagree its just a passing game that Eddie plays.

It is when the chosen alternative is to play into trouble and give the ball away around our box. Wilson and Fraser are quick. Put it over the top for them to chase. Not as a regular tactic, but instead of playing ourselves into trouble.

I wish Charlie had walloped the ball out for a throw at Wolves and yesterday though rob.

The question of on-pitch leadership comes onto the agenda. Apart from Cook at the back - a battler - we don’t have players who lead by example when things are going wrong. Sorry to say that Francis often dishes out blame, even as captain. We badly need January recruits, including at least one “PL ready” player (I’d say in midfield) who’s a motivator.

Am I asking for too much? Can we afford it? There is surely ample money in the bank (stadium fiasco etc) and not buying decent talent would be a false economy IMO, especially if JD exits.

We do have some strong characters in our team, Franno, Steve, Surman and Defoe are all strong characters that are able to lead a team... All of them are good motivators. Franno and Surman have both put in good, consistent, performances (especially Surman) so they both lead by example. I think there's no need for a future captain any time soon. If anything was to happen to Franno that results in losing his captaincy, I expect Surman to take the role and Steve to be vice.

The only issue with captains is that they're usually individuals who have had experience at their respective clubs, as well as in the game. Look at the ages of those who are considered to be 'strong characters'. Hence, it's difficult to buy a captain, they need to have thorough knowledge of their teammates and the club itself. I'm not ruling out it is impossible to purchase a motivator/potential captain but it'll take a prolonged period of time to gel him into a team, especially one such as ours.

Well, today didn’t happen. Moving on to United...

------------Begovic------------
---Cook---Simpson---Ake---
Ibe----Lerma---Surman---Rico
-------------Brooks------------
------Mousset-----Wilson------

Subs: Boruc, Mings, Taylor, Fraser, Stanislas, King, Defoe

We need to start playing a back 3 on a regular basis until we can get some cover in. I also think Mousset, Simpson and Rico deserve a run of games, based on their performances and also due to circumstance. Though I would have gone with a back 3 anyway. Simpson or Mings will be coming in, and honestly Simpson has outperformed Mings in his limited game time so I’d go with him. With Francis out now, Ibe is the only option we have for RB; he was fantastic against Chelsea so hopefully he can recapture that form on a consistent basis.

I’d get Ian Harte back ahead of Daniels on current form, so obviously Rico has to come in. King has been coasting, Mousset looks hungrier, so I’d have him in as well. Get Brooks in his natural No10 role to feed the two willing runners in Callum and Lys. And pray Lerma doesn’t get injured. Might be harsh to drop Fraser to the bench in this formation, but his actual full-90 minute performances dropped off months ago for me. He’s better coming off the bench than Mousset or Brooks would be so...that’s just how it is sometimes. I genuinely believe this team can beat United.

On just a general note, I honestly find it a bit distasteful to see Simpson put in such a fantastic performance against a top 4 side, and then be immediately dropped from the match day squad. Or hear EH complimenting Rico after the game, only to drop him for Daniels straight away. Or hear EH stating that Chelsea was Moussets best performance for the club. Dropped. Why not give the players that are showing some form a chance??? He might have to now, judging by these injuries we’re racking up. And who knows, with a run of games, they might actually be good.

The fact that Eddie hasn’t rotated the squad over this Christmas period at all is naive and very poor, and shows that he still has some ways to go before he is ready for the “big time clubs”. Did Francis really need to be rushed back so quickly, with Ibe looking capable?
I’d agree with that line up apart from Lys. Not knocking him but I reckon King might be more effective against his old club.

Again on onfield leadership - I wish you were right Rodmorg. Since Harry Arter went off the boil we’ve lacked players who lead by example with high energy and defiance. The better teams have them - they don’t have to be hoolies but players ready to take on the game. Would love this in our squad - ideally in a midfielder who can turn defence into attack. Our midfield is thin and often passive - we need recruits urgently.

Again on onfield leadership - I wish you were right Rodmorg. Since Harry Arter went off the boil we’ve lacked players who lead by example with high energy and defiance. The better teams have them - they don’t have to be hoolies but players ready to take on the game. Would love this in our squad - ideally in a midfielder who can turn defence into attack. Our midfield is thin and often passive - we need recruits urgently.

Can't argue with that in regard to Arter... however with the addition of Lerma I don't think our midfield is no longer passive. We've always looked strong with both Surman and Lerma in the middle. Although I don't think Lerma would be a suitable candidate for captaincy, given he;s a new recruit and he can only speak basic English.

;