Match report v Barnsley

kirsikka

UTC Legend
--- Ruthless Cherries Give Barnsley What Four ---

After the disappointment of the last two performances and with Lerma out suspended, JT switched things up tactically returning to three at the back. Surridge came in after his excellent performance from the bench last time out with Billing taking on a midfield role.

Despite possibly the worst kick off in the history of the club, the Cherries nearly took an opening minute lead when Surridge latched onto a long ball over the top into the channel. The Barnsley keeper, possibly still on a pre-match energy drink buzz, came careering out of his area but was second in the race. With the goal unguarded but from a difficult angle outside of the area Surridge couldn’t quite squeeze the shot home.

It was the opening salvo in what was to prove a frenetic opening spell with the teams seeming to take it in turns to try and create something only for it to break down and head straight up the other end. Solanke never reached full throttle when he couldn’t quite get to a good Billing through ball whilst a header back across goal from Surridge was met with a Dom header wide and over the target.

It was the opposite of cagey, with Barnsley producing some slick football of their own to force Begovic into an early save and then creating chaos in the Cherries box after a free kick that they worked into a dangerous area and Begovic spilled.

I’ll be honest, from a fan’s perspective it was ten minutes being played in an open way that was a joy to watch. Yes, there were moments lacking quality from both teams but it was exciting to see both of them having a go. The kind of football I imagine is the stuff of Sean Dyche’s nightmares.

Then on 11 minutes Smith and Brooks smartly exchanged near the touchline on the halfway line leaving Smith with a big gap to burst into heading diagonally towards the centre of their box. I was shocked to see Smith stay on his feet when the defensive nudge came in given his usual response and it paid off. Solanke’s decoy run dragged defenders away leaving Barnsley’s defensive shape a mess and Billing unmarked outside their box. Smith laid it off to him and, with defenders desperately bearing down on him, he controlled it, set himself and fired into the corner.

A very nicely worked goal and I hope we’ll see Smith try to ride the challenges more in future after this.

Billing was like a man reborn after last Saturday, showing all over the pitch and being decisive with the ball. One cut back nearly allowed Solanke to force home but for some sharp keeping. Meanwhile Surridge was following up his last match with a physical display all across the front line offering us something different and the Barnsley defence a challenge they maybe weren’t expecting.

It was interesting to see how much we played it long. Tricky to say with certainty if this was to take advantage of having Surridge on the pitch or a specific tactic to try and exploit space we expected Barnsley to leave at the back given their cavalier approach to attacking. I suspect the latter and so commend the management for spotting it.

It was a half punctuated by several Barnsley warnings where they fired the ball across goal only for nobody to get on the end of it or, the one time someone did, Helik smacking a shot against his own player only for it to spin wide. Even given he’s now 60, I suspect Gary Lineker would have grabbed at least a couple for them tonight. They were those kind of chances.

Despite the balance of play being fairly even, the half finished with another clinical moment. A Barnsley player tried to dribble out of his half and three quarters rode a Billing challenge but the small delay this caused him allowed Lewis Cook to slide in and steal the ball and get it through to an onrushing Solanke. This time Dom burst into the area and smashed it inside the near post with his left foot. A great finish and huge bonus before the break.

No changes at half time but, despite the cushion, it still felt like a game in the balance.

Surridge continued to make a nuisance of himself and won a free kick on 50 when pushed over after muscling his way into prime position to chase down a ball. It seemed a fairly innocuous position, wide right and out from the area, but Rico must have watched Stan try to catch the goalie out from a similar position in a recent match. Rather than going for the expected cross he fired directly at goal with pace and accuracy, catching the keeper unawares. 3-0 and the Cherries could relax a little.

To their credit, Barnsley didn’t give up and almost immediately forced Begovic into a save from a skidding shot and then fired yet another ball across the area begging for a striker to gobble it up but left unclaimed.

Throughout the match there were some careless moments at the back with Mepham and L Cook the main culprits but each time the Cherries escaped unpunished.

Then on 67 minutes, Surridge robbed the Barnsley defenders of possession on the halfway line after a slack pass and headed like a tank straight at goal. Even when a defender tried to haul him down in desperation, he shrugged it off with derisory ease and sent in a shot from the edge of the area. It was close to the keeper and he probably should have saved it but could only take most of the pace off it, leaving the ball to squirm over the line without actually troubling the netting.

4-0 and the Cherries went into cruise control with multiple youngsters coming on including a second appearance for Anthony who looked the brightest of the bunch.

There was time for one outrageous tackle from Andersen on Gosling that could easily have been a red but the ref maybe felt he’d suffered enough and settled for the yellow.

A 91st minute low interception from Begovic to cut out yet another ball across the six yard box sealed the clean sheet to go with the three points that were already wrapped up with a pretty bow on top.

--- Conclusions ---

- We were ruthlessly clinical. There’s no way we were four goals better than them but we took chances with whilst they spurned theirs. It’s great to see such confidence in hitting the back of the net.

- Some teams are built around one player building an innings of goals whilst the others get bits and pieces. It’s becoming clear that this team is about goals across the whole side. Thirteen different players have now scored for us this season. This leaves us less exposed to an injury to one player so is a huge plus.

- I gave Billing pelters last Saturday but he did well in 15 minutes on Tuesday and was excellent tonight. More of this Billing please, he looks a real player.

- I’ve seen us play better but I don’t think I’ve seen us be so efficient for a long time.

- My main concern from the night is how many times Barnsley managed to get low balls across our six yard box. I couldn’t pin it but there must have been a tactical defensive deficiency somewhere that needs addressing as if they’d had a striker that could sniff goals out it could have been 4-4.

- The variation in performance level from match to match, or even half to half, can be startling for this side. Possibly more than any AFCB team I can remember. It’s a conundrum that does need solving as the Championship can’t stay like this all year. A couple of teams will sort themselves out eventually and we need to stay with them. For that we need more of tonight, less of the last two.

--- Player Ratings ---

Begovic – 7
A few smart saves and one spill but wasn’t called into action as much as the chances created should have meant.

Mepham – 6
Careless on the ball more than once but still looked mostly alright.

S Cook – 7
Led the defence and covered for others mistakes a few times.

Kelly – 6
Seemed more comfortable here than in his recent LB role.

A Smith (off on 90) – 7
Probably his best performance this season. Great work on the first goal.

Billing (off on 90) – 8 and Man of the Match
His detractors may point to the mistakes he made but a lot of our good play went through him and, crucially, he was trying to make things happen and put himself about a bit.

L Cook (off on 81) – 6
A few sloppy moments that we were lucky to get away with but still gets the assist for the Solanke goal. He’s had better nights but he wasn’t in any way bad.

Brooks (off on 72) - 6
Again struggled to impose himself on the match. He’s had a tricky three games now but he’s match fit at least so let’s hope he blossoms into life again soon.

Rico – 7
The free kick was a thing of beauty and he actually did alright in the wing back role.

Solanke (off on 72) – 7
Bustling centre forward performance and well taken goal.

Surridge – 8
Made life very difficult for the Barnsley defence with his physicality and will to win throughout. Well done.

--- Subs ---
Anthony (on from 72) - 6
Looked good in flashes. Promising.

Gosling (on from 72) – 6
Shored things up. No complaints.

Riquelme (on from 81) – 6
One good run immediately after coming on but the game was pretty much over for his spell on the pitch.

Kilkenny (on from 90) and Ofoborh (on from 90).
Nice to see Kilkenny make his league debut.

Overall Grade: B+
It was a bizarre game in some respects as I don’t think we blew them away apart from with our finishing. They were often matching us with some decent passing and incisive moves whilst we went far more direct than normal but were absolutely brutal in putting them down.

I think we have to give credit to the men in charge as it feels like a tactical triumph as we exposed their weaknesses. It seems harsh to not give an A grade given the margin of victory but we didn’t completely lock them out, more they spurned the opportunities they created. We were like elite assassins at the other end.

Concerning Brooks, is it others opinion that:

A.) He is the player other teams want to "take out of a game" and he has to learn to overcome their attention OR
B) He is getting so much press and sweetheart attention, that has knocked him off his game OR
C) He is just going through a dry spell

Good report. We rode our luck at the back but it just felt like tonight was going to be our night, so I was never overly concerned.
Glad we kept the clean sheet until the end. 0 - 4 feels so much better than 1 - 4, even though both results obviously bring the same three points.

A great game to watch tonight, two teams trying to play football !
Well done lads :clap::clap::clap:

:utc:

Thank you for the report Kirsikka. He had to be easier to write than last few games, at least emotionally.

A.) He is the player other teams want to "take out of a game" and he has to learn to overcome their attention OR
B) He is getting so much press and sweetheart attention, that has knocked him off his game OR
I think he is slightly fatigued and needs a proper rest soon. Don’t forget he had to play all of those internationals whilst most players were able to get some rest during those couple of weeks.

I think the Rotherham game where he got zero protection from the ref completely knocked him out of his stride. However, he has to take control of that situation as there will be plenty of matches like that. Sometimes you have to respond to be knocked over and over again with quality on the ball that floors the other team in a different way. I think I said somewhere before Zaha does it for Palace (yes he dives but he's also marked for special attention by other teams).

If he's serious about a top six career then he should be producing in the majority of matches in this league, irrespective of opponents or their tactics. He's should have the rustiness out of his legs now so I hope we see some more from him soon.

When he's special, he's very, very special. He's getting into the period of his career where consistency is starting to be expected. Let's hope it comes back as he certainly had it during his first season.

Fair point.
When you think about it, his season has been pretty relentless since he came back from injury. I think he is still at a stage in his physical development where we need to manage him. He is less of a machine than Lerma, that’s for sure. I would like to see us rest him completely for a week at some point if it’s possible. I think we’ll get more out of him that way. Of course he wants to play every game but perhaps we’ll need to protect him from himself at times.

Thank you for a great report! I thought our engine room was excellent tonight and would personally have L Cook’s rating higher but fully agree Billing had his best game for us in a red n black shirt. Delighted to see Dan play so well too! It’ll be a nice flight back down south!

Brooks very much off the pace again in a 4-0 win away from home

He is trying too hard to do it all himself and the slightly more direct style doesnt rely on quick accurate passing to feet.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Billing showed what he can do tonight and he's a great player when he does. I haven't seen the stats but I'd wager he wins the ball back a lot more than anyone else we have, including Jeff. I really hope he can show this form consistently because if he does we'll do very well.

Ace report. If any Tykes fan reads this forum: great to see another team in this league trying to play football... but you need a new goalkeeper (and you were a tad unlucky in not capitalising in some decent chances).

Given our defenders did a better a job of staying with the players they were marking, it's bit harsh to highlight the balls that flashed across the box as evidence Barnsley deserved more. There is nothing to say Mepham or Cook wouldn't have cut the ball out if their 9 had made the right run. They have been guilty of losing their man and now they don't, they are accused of not being somewhere else to play the ball.

Tactically we got almost everything right other than the delay in getting subs on and the odd selection of Gosling. 4 up should have seen us empty the bench of the kids. Simpson, Zemura, Oforborh, Kilkenny, Anthony could have had 20 good minutes and key players rested, maybe more if we made a couple of changes at 3 up.

Extra day of rest now + lots of options coming back from illness and injury. What a difference 3 days make.

--- Ruthless Cherries Give Barnsley What Four ---

After the disappointment of the last two performances and with Lerma out suspended, JT switched things up tactically returning to three at the back. Surridge came in after his excellent performance from the bench last time out with Billing taking on a midfield role.

Despite possibly the worst kick off in the history of the club, the Cherries nearly took an opening minute lead when Surridge latched onto a long ball over the top into the channel. The Barnsley keeper, possibly still on a pre-match energy drink buzz, came careering out of his area but was second in the race. With the goal unguarded but from a difficult angle outside of the area Surridge couldn’t quite squeeze the shot home.

It was the opening salvo in what was to prove a frenetic opening spell with the teams seeming to take it in turns to try and create something only for it to break down and head straight up the other end. Solanke never reached full throttle when he couldn’t quite get to a good Billing through ball whilst a header back across goal from Surridge was met with a Dom header wide and over the target.

It was the opposite of cagey, with Barnsley producing some slick football of their own to force Begovic into an early save and then creating chaos in the Cherries box after a free kick that they worked into a dangerous area and Begovic spilled.

I’ll be honest, from a fan’s perspective it was ten minutes being played in an open way that was a joy to watch. Yes, there were moments lacking quality from both teams but it was exciting to see both of them having a go. The kind of football I imagine is the stuff of Sean Dyche’s nightmares.

Then on 11 minutes Smith and Brooks smartly exchanged near the touchline on the halfway line leaving Smith with a big gap to burst into heading diagonally towards the centre of their box. I was shocked to see Smith stay on his feet when the defensive nudge came in given his usual response and it paid off. Solanke’s decoy run dragged defenders away leaving Barnsley’s defensive shape a mess and Billing unmarked outside their box. Smith laid it off to him and, with defenders desperately bearing down on him, he controlled it, set himself and fired into the corner.

A very nicely worked goal and I hope we’ll see Smith try to ride the challenges more in future after this.

Billing was like a man reborn after last Saturday, showing all over the pitch and being decisive with the ball. One cut back nearly allowed Solanke to force home but for some sharp keeping. Meanwhile Surridge was following up his last match with a physical display all across the front line offering us something different and the Barnsley defence a challenge they maybe weren’t expecting.

It was interesting to see how much we played it long. Tricky to say with certainty if this was to take advantage of having Surridge on the pitch or a specific tactic to try and exploit space we expected Barnsley to leave at the back given their cavalier approach to attacking. I suspect the latter and so commend the management for spotting it.

It was a half punctuated by several Barnsley warnings where they fired the ball across goal only for nobody to get on the end of it or, the one time someone did, Helik smacking a shot against his own player only for it to spin wide. Even given he’s now 60, I suspect Gary Lineker would have grabbed at least a couple for them tonight. They were those kind of chances.

Despite the balance of play being fairly even, the half finished with another clinical moment. A Barnsley player tried to dribble out of his half and three quarters rode a Billing challenge but the small delay this caused him allowed Lewis Cook to slide in and steal the ball and get it through to an onrushing Solanke. This time Dom burst into the area and smashed it inside the near post with his left foot. A great finish and huge bonus before the break.

No changes at half time but, despite the cushion, it still felt like a game in the balance.

Surridge continued to make a nuisance of himself and won a free kick on 50 when pushed over after muscling his way into prime position to chase down a ball. It seemed a fairly innocuous position, wide right and out from the area, but Rico must have watched Stan try to catch the goalie out from a similar position in a recent match. Rather than going for the expected cross he fired directly at goal with pace and accuracy, catching the keeper unawares. 3-0 and the Cherries could relax a little.

To their credit, Barnsley didn’t give up and almost immediately forced Begovic into a save from a skidding shot and then fired yet another ball across the area begging for a striker to gobble it up but left unclaimed.

Throughout the match there were some careless moments at the back with Mepham and L Cook the main culprits but each time the Cherries escaped unpunished.

Then on 67 minutes, Surridge robbed the Barnsley defenders of possession on the halfway line after a slack pass and headed like a tank straight at goal. Even when a defender tried to haul him down in desperation, he shrugged it off with derisory ease and sent in a shot from the edge of the area. It was close to the keeper and he probably should have saved it but could only take most of the pace off it, leaving the ball to squirm over the line without actually troubling the netting.

4-0 and the Cherries went into cruise control with multiple youngsters coming on including a second appearance for Anthony who looked the brightest of the bunch.

There was time for one outrageous tackle from Andersen on Gosling that could easily have been a red but the ref maybe felt he’d suffered enough and settled for the yellow.

A 91st minute low interception from Begovic to cut out yet another ball across the six yard box sealed the clean sheet to go with the three points that were already wrapped up with a pretty bow on top.

--- Conclusions ---

- We were ruthlessly clinical. There’s no way we were four goals better than them but we took chances with whilst they spurned theirs. It’s great to see such confidence in hitting the back of the net.

- Some teams are built around one player building an innings of goals whilst the others get bits and pieces. It’s becoming clear that this team is about goals across the whole side. Thirteen different players have now scored for us this season. This leaves us less exposed to an injury to one player so is a huge plus.

- I gave Billing pelters last Saturday but he did well in 15 minutes on Tuesday and was excellent tonight. More of this Billing please, he looks a real player.

- I’ve seen us play better but I don’t think I’ve seen us be so efficient for a long time.

- My main concern from the night is how many times Barnsley managed to get low balls across our six yard box. I couldn’t pin it but there must have been a tactical defensive deficiency somewhere that needs addressing as if they’d had a striker that could sniff goals out it could have been 4-4.

- The variation in performance level from match to match, or even half to half, can be startling for this side. Possibly more than any AFCB team I can remember. It’s a conundrum that does need solving as the Championship can’t stay like this all year. A couple of teams will sort themselves out eventually and we need to stay with them. For that we need more of tonight, less of the last two.

--- Player Ratings ---

Begovic – 7
A few smart saves and one spill but wasn’t called into action as much as the chances created should have meant.

Mepham – 6
Careless on the ball more than once but still looked mostly alright.

S Cook – 7
Led the defence and covered for others mistakes a few times.

Kelly – 6
Seemed more comfortable here than in his recent LB role.

A Smith (off on 90) – 7
Probably his best performance this season. Great work on the first goal.

Billing (off on 90) – 8 and Man of the Match
His detractors may point to the mistakes he made but a lot of our good play went through him and, crucially, he was trying to make things happen and put himself about a bit.

L Cook (off on 81) – 6
A few sloppy moments that we were lucky to get away with but still gets the assist for the Solanke goal. He’s had better nights but he wasn’t in any way bad.

Brooks (off on 72) - 6
Again struggled to impose himself on the match. He’s had a tricky three games now but he’s match fit at least so let’s hope he blossoms into life again soon.

Rico – 7
The free kick was a thing of beauty and he actually did alright in the wing back role.

Solanke (off on 72) – 7
Bustling centre forward performance and well taken goal.

Surridge – 8
Made life very difficult for the Barnsley defence with his physicality and will to win throughout. Well done.

--- Subs ---
Anthony (on from 72) - 6
Looked good in flashes. Promising.

Gosling (on from 72) – 6
Shored things up. No complaints.

Riquelme (on from 81) – 6
One good run immediately after coming on but the game was pretty much over for his spell on the pitch.

Kilkenny (on from 90) and Ofoborh (on from 90).
Nice to see Kilkenny make his league debut.

Overall Grade: B+
It was a bizarre game in some respects as I don’t think we blew them away apart from with our finishing. They were often matching us with some decent passing and incisive moves whilst we went far more direct than normal but were absolutely brutal in putting them down.

I think we have to give credit to the men in charge as it feels like a tactical triumph as we exposed their weaknesses. It seems harsh to not give an A grade given the margin of victory but we didn’t completely lock them out, more they spurned the opportunities they created. We were like elite assassins at the other end.
Agree totally with your report, clinical finishing. the only thing I disagree with was your man of the match, I think Surridge for me was mom.

I think he is slightly fatigued and needs a proper rest soon. Don’t forget he had to play all of those internationals whilst most players were able to get some rest during those couple of weeks.
He played less than half the minutes of the 3 matches during the last batch of internationals

I'd say A), he seems to be getting double teamed a lot in the last few games. Even if it means his play doesn't seem as brilliant as we've seen in the past, the extra room provided for other players likely helped us slice through Barnsley in attack (credit to Surridge and Solanke being handfulls in that regard too). I'm not sure if he actually needs to overcome it though, so much as avoid letting it get him down. Teams will see that they can't just mark him out of the game to neutralize us when seeing footage from games like today, so the double teams and hard marking will start to go out of favor and he'll have room to flourish as long as he keeps his head up.

;