Match report v Barnsley

I'd say A), he seems to be getting double teamed a lot in the last few games. Even if it means his play doesn't seem as brilliant as we've seen in the past, the extra room provided for other players likely helped us slice through Barnsley in attack (credit to Surridge and Solanke being handfulls in that regard too). I'm not sure if he actually needs to overcome it though, so much as avoid letting it get him down. Teams will see that they can't just mark him out of the game to neutralize us when seeing footage from games like today, so the double teams and hard marking will start to go out of favor and he'll have room to flourish as long as he keeps his head up.
Good stuff, thank you.

Given our defenders did a better a job of staying with the players they were marking, it's bit harsh to highlight the balls that flashed across the box as evidence Barnsley deserved more. There is nothing to say Mepham or Cook wouldn't have cut the ball out if their 9 had made the right run. They have been guilty of losing their man and now they don't, they are accused of not being somewhere else to play the ball.

My criticism was the balls getting sent across the area rather than with the central defenders. As I said, I couldn't spot it but if you cut the five or six incidents out and analysed them I suspect there was a tactical deficiency somewhere that was being exploited. Either something between the wide CB and wing back or a CM not filling the right space. There's no way that ball should be allowed to be played that many times without there being a problem of some kind.

We got away with it because they didn't have a real predator prowling our box. Those kind of balls are a nightmare for defenders as they're so easy to turn into your own net but if the striker is there you can't leave them. Therefore we need to identify the issue and stop someone else doing the same thing to us as a different player up front and they could have made life very awkward for us.

Thanks for doing these reports Kirsikka. I agree with your summary - it was a weirdly even game for a thrashing as the BBC describes it.

My son-in-law is a huge Barnsley fan and beating them means I can enjoy seeing him at Christmas now. He on the other hand might be looking forward to it slightly less!

Reactions: DJ
Given our defenders did a better a job of staying with the players they were marking, it's bit harsh to highlight the balls that flashed across the box as evidence Barnsley deserved more. There is nothing to say Mepham or Cook wouldn't have cut the ball out if their 9 had made the right run. They have been guilty of losing their man and now they don't, they are accused of not being somewhere else to play the ball.

It's a worthy area to highlight in my opinion.

The corridor of uncertainty should be a "thread the needle" type of pass for the attacker, one that gets the central defenders, as you say, tracking their man but hoping they don't have to touch the ball for fear of putting it in their own goal and an area that the goalkeeper doesn't feel like they can come into.

With Begovic, this area isn't a thread the needle area as the team bus could drive through it and I think it's an area that more and more clubs will try and use because it's easy to scout.

Barnsley flashed probably half a dozen of these across the box and a better side, like ones we've played this week for example...will score at least one of those chances if not a couple.

Intriguingly Begovic did finally get down to one in the 92nd minute last night. This has confused me entirely. He's failed to come for nearly every single one of these crosses since his last run in the Premier League and so far this season. So you'd think it was just something he prefers to do, like pushing the ball away instead of catching. But the fact that he did actually come for one, now has me wondering what the tactic and thought process behind it is.

Personally, as a team, we need to get better at stopping these crosses at source and Begovic needs to command his six-yard box better. If the ball is being flashed across between the penalty spot and the six-yard box for example, sure that's the defender's job to stick with his man, after all, space can't score, but when it's only three, four, five yards from the goalline, then you want your 'keeper all over that.

Really strange game, we were certainly marginally better, but not four goals better. We had sloppy moments and for spells were second best. Barnsley played some gorgeous football in the last 5 minutes.

Surridge and Solanke had some good chances early on, both should have scored, but on the other hand both put themselves around really well.

Billing MOM for me, closely followed by Smith. Not sure why they are both blowing so hot and cold lately, more cold than hot in truth. Hopefully a sign that both will pull their fingers out a bit.

Excellent report again Sir. Thank you for your time and your prose. Sean Dyche's nightmare will live long in the memory.

Tad harsh as others have commented on Lewis Cook's mark. Accepted he has lapses but is always involved, always wants the ball and without Lerma his role was the main man after all Billing's performance came as a shock to us all.

The team's ability to mix and match formations is an encouraging aspect of this season. Sam Surridge has certainly added to our forward strength of late taking some of the pressure off Solanke who seems to flourish (never thought I would be saying this) with greater freedom.

Good report, agree with your MOM, closely followed by Surridge. Against better teams, for example Swansea on Tuesday night we'd have been punished at the back big time imo.

The corridor of uncertainty should be a "thread the needle" type of pass for the attacker, one that gets the central defenders, as you say, tracking their man but hoping they don't have to touch the ball for fear of putting it in their own goal and an area that the goalkeeper doesn't feel like they can come into.

With Begovic, this area isn't a thread the needle area as the team bus could drive through it and I think it's an area that more and more clubs will try and use because it's easy to scout.

Barnsley flashed probably half a dozen of these across the box and a better side, like ones we've played this week for example...will score at least one of those chances if not a couple.

Intriguingly Begovic did finally get down to one in the 92nd minute last night. This has confused me entirely. He's failed to come for nearly every single one of these crosses since his last run in the Premier League and so far this season. So you'd think it was just something he prefers to do, like pushing the ball away instead of catching. But the fact that he did actually come for one, now has me wondering what the tactic and thought process behind it is.

Personally, as a team, we need to get better at stopping these crosses at source and Begovic needs to command his six-yard box better. If the ball is being flashed across between the penalty spot and the six-yard box for example, sure that's the defender's job to stick with his man, after all, space can't score, but when it's only three, four, five yards from the goalline, then you want your 'keeper all over that.

I think that's harsh on Bego. Most of those balls were hammered across the 6 yard line and not really in his area. I agree he doesn't command his 6 yard area as well as he should but my concern is high crosses not those on the floor. I agree with others they should be stopped at source

I think you are spot on, a better side would have punished us . I think there is a lack of positioning, & possibly players are tired with so many games in a short time. We Avery good at going forward but not so at defence, mid field & wing backs seem to be disjointed at times. I would like to see a midfeild general barking orders to other players & take control. But when we play like we did yesterday all is forgiven.

Reactions: DJ
I think that's harsh on Bego. Most of those balls were hammered across the 6 yard line and not really in his area. I agree he doesn't command his 6 yard area as well as he should but my concern is high crosses not those on the floor. I agree with others they should be stopped at source
Agreed... but of course a back three is exploited in the space down the side of the three. Smith and Rico were clearly further up the pitch (eg both playing a part in the first goal) and not part of a back five which would stifle our attacking threat but help to fill that space.

As has been said elsewhere on here perhaps Jason is moving closer to the Championship promotion model (we're certainly scoring the goals) trading attacking threat for defensive security.

It could be fun :grinning:

Reactions: drd
These are good times with results...and we are possibly/probably going to end up back upstairs in the PL..
If that's the outcome....a fresh set of incoming fans with a modern outlook slowly replacing those of us knowing the Old pre- VAR Game ...comes into play..
..all waiting in avid anticipation of when a dam breaks and the Full Tide of Americanisation floods in as part of an inevitable Bestowal of Bollux on our Association Football, invented we think in mid 19th Century England.
We older fans sit in anomic and rumpled disillusionment as this process unfolds.

Just a thought....to get across while we Cherries watch rivals play catch - up !

Great game, great report. I’d up several of the ratings; thought Lewis cook, smith, solanke and mepham could have been a +1. Billing maybe even a 9!

A better side might have punished us they might not. But as things stand (for a few hours at least) there is no better side in this division. ;-)

Thanks for doing these reports Kirsikka. I agree with your summary - it was a weirdly even game for a thrashing as the BBC describes it.

My son-in-law is a huge Barnsley fan and beating them means I can enjoy seeing him at Christmas now. He on the other hand might be looking forward to it slightly less!
Football conversations with a die hard fan of a lower league team are always good. Football conversations with a die hard plastic top 6 follower, forget it.

;