Match report v Derby

If you control the midfield, the aim is for one or touch and you can play side to side, from left to right and back if needed. This allows allows your full backs to push up higher with the play .
However that left hand side is alarming

Good report.
I thought CCV was one of the few players to perform ok in the first half and was a bit unfortunate to be replaced at half time. There were a number of occasions when he received the ball from S Cook, looked to pass it up the pitch only to find no team mates available or even trying to make themselves available, and so had to deal with some awkward situations which he generally did well.
Fair play to S Cook, that second half was 10/10 from him and as has been mentioned on other threads it felt like he was the only one busting a gut to make things happen, both ends of the bloody pitch!
As for Brooks, he couldn't trap a bag of cement last night. No idea what is going on there, its bizarre how such a talented player could play so poorly, and its now happened over a number of games. I guess you could also say that for most of his team mates as well.

See defensively I think we are more than fine generally.
the back 3 had the ball but limited options. The two in midfield were covered and it ended up with long balls whacked forward.
Or by the time the ball did go to the wingbacks, they had someone tight behind them.
You can’t fully see from a tv screen the full movement of players, but up too we are far far too static . Solanke isn’t for running in the channels and therefore it has to go to his feet.
Second half my option of king and it could be lack of playing timing but he doesn’t seem to have have the explosive speed he did have .

1000% agree 4-2-3-1 would suit us, easy swap around formation wise if we need to switch things up, it should protect the defence at the same time, and most importantly it should play to our strengths, but with this we would need over lapping full backs as at least 1 of the midfield 2 would help sit with the CB's.
I would like (when everyone fit)
bego
Stacey Cook ccv/mepham rico/Kelly
cook lerma/billing
danjuma Wiltshire stan
solanke
I'm with you on that, 4-2-3-1 would be a better fit for the players we have. I'd also make the 3+1 fluid to be able to interchange and go and cause mayhem to the opposition defence.
I'm really looking forward to see Wilshire pulling the strings on the pitch. Everything I see and hear about him seems positive - he is a top quality player with a positive attitude and hopefully some of that will rub off on our underperforming prima-donnas. They might suddenly realise that maybe they are not quite as special as they like to think...

It is difficult to analysis a game on TV compared to at the ground , as you can’t see all the movement off the ball. I have only seen the Wycombe game live but I can’t see what our game plan is to create chances. It used to be attacking full backs and getting in behind defences. Then it changed to quick counter attacks. But now it is slow play and backward passes going nowhere. Where is the partnerships and link up play we used to have. We look like a collection of individuals and not a team. You could see at Derby that it was driving Steve Cook mad.

Waited 24 hours to digest. Sadly I won't over react to a difficult result against a team that has been picking off all the top sides and is much better than their position. They will take a lot more points if they regularly score goals. That was a not good performance but time we credit opposition at times.

Everything has been noted on Brooks, but for me he was better 2nd half Saturday, when deeper receiving the ball facing the right way. He isn't able to play with his back to goal, and the harder he tries the worse he gets. He also restricts how much Stacey can get forward because he loses the ball.

The biggest remains left side. Smith was played in nicely in the first half, just needed a left foot cross, but he can't so he takes the ball half way back and gives Cook a shocking pass. Kelly meanwhile doesn't play percentages. He would rather not try a risky pass and give to someone else in worse position, often Bego. When he does pass, he almost stops dead to watch, so rarely pass and move forward. Zemura may not be the option but deserves more chances.

Danjuma looked okay for first game back. The offsides were narrow and more often because others (notably Smith) delayed their passes.

Finally, it would not have taken much to have swung that game either way. It was tight and not mentioned above, the conditions looked dreadful on a horrible pitch. Same for both sides, but we didn't adapt first half and by the second they parked the bus. They were ideal conditions to run at players on the counter, and not for straight long balls.

We will bounce back and I can see enough from Danjuma and Wilshere cameo to suggest when the timing clicks we can get back on track. After the Reading game, there is a good run of fixtures. Forget about systems, it's up to the players.

;