Match report v Forest

He's right, it was a poor decision. By Colback though, not the ref.

"My opinion is the contact initially was outside the box, which makes it a grey area and if it becomes a grey area as a referee, you cannot give a penalty."

This is really poor from Hughton as it doesn't matter where the contact starts. If it carried on into the area it's still a penalty. Trying to imply otherwise is pretty pathetic.

It's the kind of decision that would have me fuming if it was given against us, but mainly at the player for being so stupid.

We still have problems at LB. Rico been wobbly in recent games and last night Kelly got himself into trouble several times - he was lucky Forest were too slow to take advantage. A good winger could cause us problems down the left. Someone needs to hit form.

Agree it's still the big question mark position for us but I think Kelly may be given a run for a few matches to see what he can do if we stick with four at the back. I hope he grows into it.

the counter to that is if you are pushing for a third and concede to go to 2-1 which then becomes a very dangerous score line to defend against.

Last night was the classic example of a Howe game we'd have won 4-0 or drawn 2-2. Tindall seems far more of a mind to shut up shop.

It's a different approach and both have their merits. Those days of obliterating teams were an adrenaline rush but when we got pushed back on our heels we never looked comfortable as a team. Maybe this will prove to be a happy middle ground.

Could always go back to Smith LB with Stacey RB but do think one of Rico or Kelly will come good

I'd rather keep Smith rotating with Stacey. He doesn't seem to have it on the left this season so play him to his strengths.

If we can persuade Max to splash out in January then an exciting LB would be top of the list for me.

Reactions: drd
For me this was the perfect illustration of the difference between the premiership and championship.

Lots of chances created and few converted. Forest were particularly wasteful in front of goal.

Contrast that with playing a tier up and you won't have the chance to create so much so you'd better put away the opportunities you get.

A belated comment about what a fantastic run made by Junior for the first goal. Brooks made a superb pass but Junior had the vision to see the space.

Oh, and can Willo please stop calling him 'Stanislaus'. He really should know better.
I'm amazed he didn't call him Lerma tbf........things are looking up.

Last night was the classic example of a Howe game we'd have won 4-0 or drawn 2-2. Tindall seems far more of a mind to shut up shop.

It's a different approach and both have their merits. Those days of obliterating teams were an adrenaline rush but when we got pushed back on our heels we never looked comfortable as a team. Maybe this will prove to be a happy middle ground.

The one thing I would add is that Howes teams, particularly in the Prem years, did have a tendency to get deeper an deeper when defending the lead. It worked at times as we had pace to counter, but it did also invite lots of pressure which ultimately led to dropped points.

From what I’ve seen so far Tindalls teams don’t necessarily get deeper, but they do get more compact, particularly in the middle of the park. Bringing Gosling on for Brooks on Tuesday is a good example.

We probably haven’t seen enough games yet to know if it’s a better ploy, but it’s certainly worked so far.

The one thing I would add is that Howes teams, particularly in the Prem years, did have a tendency to get deeper an deeper when defending the lead. It worked at times as we had pace to counter, but it did also invite lots of pressure which ultimately led to dropped points.

From what I’ve seen so far Tindalls teams don’t necessarily get deeper, but they do get more compact, particularly in the middle of the park. Bringing Gosling on for Brooks on Tuesday is a good example.

We probably haven’t seen enough games yet to know if it’s a better ploy, but it’s certainly worked so far.
You can't really compare anything Eddie did in the PL to what JT is doing now tbf......defending a lead against a Championship team is obviously a lot easier......i'm sure Eddie didn't want us to drop so deep but quality opposition will often leave teams with little option......it's not as easy as simply shouting 'push up' as some fans seem to think...........much fairer to compare 'Championship' Eddie to JT if anyone really wants to do so.

Dropping deep is what happens whenever there's loads of pressure and you're defending a 1-0 lead. Early in the season there's not been much pressure but we'll no doubt have games like Reading away 2015 before the end of this season.

You can't really compare anything Eddie did in the PL to what JT is doing now tbf......defending a lead against a Championship team is obviously a lot easier......i'm sure Eddie didn't want us to drop so deep but quality opposition will often leave teams with little option......it's not as easy as simply shouting 'push up' as some fans seem to think...........much fairer to compare 'Championship' Eddie to JT if anyone really wants to do so.

It’s a fair point, but I wasn’t talking exclusively about the Prem. Didn’t we lose more points from winning positions than any other team the year we won the championship? I seem to recall we ‘gave away’ something like 25-30 points from winning positions.

I’m not mocking our achievements under Howe, far from it, but we always had a tenancy to sit deep and invite pressure, Prem or not.

Dropping deep is also usually the most effective way of keeping the ball out of your own net. Teams do it all the time and we’ve seen ourselves it’s hard to break down. Sure it makes things more nervous for supporters but there is a reason they are fans rather than managers.

It’s a fair point, but I wasn’t talking exclusively about the Prem. Didn’t we lose more points from winning positions than any other team the year we won the championship? I seem to recall we ‘gave away’ something like 25-30 points from winning positions.

I’m not mocking our achievements under Howe, far from it, but we always had a tenancy to sit deep and invite pressure, Prem or not.
No team is going to win every game that they take the lead in ....and we were in front in more games back then anyone else tbf!.........were those dropped points the result of us dropping too deep or from pushing for more goals?

No team is going to win every game that they take the lead in ....and we were in front in more games back then anyone else tbf!.........were those dropped points the result of us dropping too deep or from pushing for more goals?

In my opinion it’s a combination of 2 factors - the first being that we often started games so quickly that we had more leads than most to defend whilst also using up lots of energy in the first half of the game. Secondly I do feel like we used to drop deep often, which invited pressure.

Maybe it was simply a symptom of going ahead early, maybe it was a tactical ploy, we’ll never really know for sure. It was debated time and time again on here as to why we used to drop so deep and subsequently give away leads. It’s too early to know for sure whether Tindall is doing anything dramatically different here or whether it’s just a case of the opposition we’ve faced and the type of games we’ve been leading, but I’ve not yet seen us drop deep to defend a lead this season.

In my opinion it’s a combination of 2 factors - the first being that we often started games so quickly that we had more leads than most to defend whilst also using up lots of energy in the first half of the game. Secondly I do feel like we used to drop deep often, which invited pressure.

Maybe it was simply a symptom of going ahead early, maybe it was a tactical ploy, we’ll never really know for sure. It was debated time and time again on here as to why we used to drop so deep and subsequently give away leads. It’s too early to know for sure whether Tindall is doing anything dramatically different here or whether it’s just a case of the opposition we’ve faced and the type of games we’ve been leading, but I’ve not yet seen us drop deep to defend a lead this season.
You didn't see us drop deep against Norwich ?

As Derek mentioned you're going to drop deeper to defend a 1 goal lead.....we have only won by a 1 goal margin in 3 games this season.....in 2 of them we scored the winner late so the only game you can judge JT's willingness to drop deep to defend a leaf would be the Norwich game tbf.

;