Match report v Reading

kirsikka

UTC Legend
----- Unintelligible Performance At Reading -----

After the recent terrible league form has seen a drop down the table, Tindall’s team faced up to a crunch match at Reading with four changes from the last non-cup outing. Mepham, King, Rico and Billing coming in to replace Carter-Vickers, Kelly, Smith and Brooks in what turned out to be a form of 4-3-3.

The Cherries started brightly, dominating the opening exchanges with Danjuma looking influential and a little unlucky when his shot from distance was a too close to the keeper allowing for a comfortable save.

After that five minute salvo it was the boxing at distance from both teams, with play flowing from one end to the other without really hurting each other.

Then on 19 minutes and looking for an option when playing out from the back but unable to find one, Lewis Cook turned back towards his own goal only to be signalled to give it back to the keeper by the central defender behind him, who seemed completely unaware of the Reading player on his shoulder. Cook should have seen him but instead blindly trusted the signal and played a perfect through ball for the attacker who contrived to shoot wide. A fortunate escape from a completely avoidable situation.

That seemed to spark Reading a little as suddenly they were first to every ball and a mere two minutes later Billing committed a silly foul in a dangerous area. The free kick hit the wall but ended up out for a corner which required S Cook to intervene and clear out for another corner as the ball was cut back.

This spell of pressure finally told from this latest set piece as Stacey and King both missed opportunities to clear and the ball was shot at goal only to get stuck in Mephams legs. With the Bournemouth defenders showing all the fast moving reactions of a set of shop mannequins, a Reading player sauntered over to the ball and poked home for 1-0.

The Bournemouth response was safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to safe pass to me nearly passing out at out lack of aggression going forwards. Eventually someone would miscontrol or contrive to play a poor ball and give it away.

Then on 30 minutes a Reading player dribble with pace box in our inside left channel and just when it looked like he would burst through our lines he took a heavy touch to send it way beyond his reach and out of play. For some reason Rico decided it was still a good idea too come flying in and level him.

You may argue that Rico was committed before that final touch but it misses the point that it was an utterly ridiculous challenge and in a very dangerous place. The Reading player curled the free kick low around the wall but, with it now heading straight for Begovic, he had trouble getting down as he was already heading for a dive towards the corner. All he could manage was a poor parry that bounced in front of him.

The defenders were still in mannequin mode, showing off Bournemouth’s new January look of standing still and watching in bemusement whilst the other team follow up on a chance. I’d call it a disaster of fast fashion but there was nothing fast about them. The ball was easily slotted home for 2-0.

The reaction to this from the Cherries was to go missing en masse. I nearly rang the police to file a report as there was supposed to be eleven of them out there but I swear it looked like about six. Had the coaches of those dastardly Biscuitmen kidnapped them and put them on display in the club shop? It may be a mystery we’ll never solve.

On 42 it got worse. Billing suddenly reappeared on the pitch in time to show the ball control of a wheelie bin near the halfway line. His response to losing it showed all the mobility and desire to win it back of your outdoor rubbish receptacle a week after a collection was missed.

That left the two Reading central midfielders to play around Lerma as if he was an irrelevance, kind of appropriate given his impact on the game, and then knock a low ball to Joao in the channel between Cook and Rico. He took possession of the ball, sent S Cook to the bakery down the road for cup cakes and fired into the net. 3-0 and utter disarray in the ranks.

I was able to mark Danjuma as safe from Reading just before half time as he turned up again with a glorious air shot from an attacking corner which led to a break down the other end that could have sent us in four down at the break but for a timely block on the cross.

I’m glad I wasn’t Tindall as I wouldn’t know what to say to that. Unless this was the start of the greatest rope-a-dope ever then the players must have pretty much ignored his instructions for the first period. Three changes as the teams came out for the second period, with Brooks, Wilshere and Smith coming on for Rico, Lerma and Danjuma, indicate he was equally baffled.

There were a few encouraging signs of zip in the passing from the whistle which maybe augured well for a barn storming forty five where we pinned Reading to their goal line and mustered a glorious comeback.

Sadly, this wasn’t Roy of the Rovers. It wasn’t even Lags Eleven although some of the performances were certainly criminal.

In the end it took nearly fifteen minutes before we put Reading under real pressure, King with some direct running and a cross which forced a corner from which we tried a good looking set piece routine that wasn’t far from coming off.

Finally we had the biscuits on the back foot but they didn’t want to crumble. Another corner was sent in resulting in a scramble where Mepham and King both tried to poke home but the Reading players were throwing themselves at the ball, putting their bodies on the line to keep it out and showing real desire. In other words, the opposite of how we had reacted in the first half to those situations.

Still we kept up the momentum as Smith burst through on the left and played an absolute peach of a lay off for Solanke in the middle. Maybe he doesn’t like fruit as a chance that should have been slammed home was instead left to go rotten as Dom completely missed the ball.

Reading were finally rattled though and starting to panic a bit as Brooks ran at them on the right, beat two men and crossed to Billing who’s volley didn’t quite have enough power on it. This allowed the keeper to save and from the resultant corner a Cherry header seemed destined for the net only for another save.

From that first King run to that last saved header was a five minute spell of sustained pressure and chance creating that showed we could take Reading apart when we put our minds to it. After that though, instead of keeping our boot on their neck, we stepped back and let them out of their half which was all the encouragement they needed.

At the other end they were stepping past our defenders like we were fielding holograms. I’m struggling to recall a series of less robust challenges as we waved them past.

On 80 minutes there was a brief bright spot as we saw the unexpectedly early return of Stanislas, on for Billing. Four minutes later Wilshere went on a little dribble near their box and was brought down in a position tailor made for Junior. His shot should have hit the wall but it looks like the hologram disease was catching as it went straight through them and into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

Was there to be a grandstand finish as the Cherries threw everything they had at Reading, so the players could walk off the field knowing they left nothing behind? No.

Another defeat to put a cap on Tindall’s mense horribilis. Whether the new face can help shake things up a bit and help turn the season around I don’t know. It felt like a lot more than one player missing out there tonight.

Last edited:
----- Conclusions -----

- Stats will tell you we had lots of possession and shots. Don’t be misled, one five minute spell apart this was about as comfortable a win as Reading will have all season.

- We’ve seen too many halves since Tindall took charge that have been utterly devoid of organisation, leadership, cohesion and even ability on the ball. In matches where he was able to turn it around earlier in the season it was a worry but he seems to have lost that knack. Time to start getting it right from kick off.

- It was the right move to drop Brooks after his recent performances so I applaud that but the guys coming in didn’t seem all that bothered.

- Tactics, tactics, tactis. It’s fine being a Tinkerman when you get the results but when the wheels start coming off it makes it look like you don’t know what you’re doing. I’m much happier with the 4-3-3 than the 3 at the back but we need to decide on a system and stick with it for a while. Let some partnerships develop.

Tactical flexibility is great when you have a stock formation that the players can revert to if needed and know inside out. At the moment we seem to be failing to gel in about five different systems.

- Where was the hunting in packs? The team spirit? Driving each other on and supporting each other? On a team level the defensive work was woeful.

- Remember all those other weeks where I mentioned we need to find a left back from somewhere? Well, I do anyway. And we still do.

----- Player Ratings -----

Begovic – 6
Very poor on the second goal but he deserves to be bailed out by his team mates sometimes after his heroics this season. I get the feeling if it had gone in the corner he would have saved it, the problem was it being straight at him when he was set for the dive. A series of fairly routine saves kept it at three and pushes him back up to six.

Stacey - 5
Let's be honest, he was poor. Not much threat going forward and very suspect defensively.

Mepham - 5
Witness the live installation art work that was the footballing equivalent of a face palm.

S Cook - 6
A few interceptions to save other players but where was his leadership?

Rico (off on 45) - 4
Awful.

Lerma (off on 45) - 5
Surely the man in line to lose his place to Pearson.

L Cook - 6
A long way from his good form not so far back. What happened to that?

Billing (off on 81) - 5
Sometimes you get good Billing, sometimes you get bad Billing. This was bad Billing.

King – 6
He wasn’t very good but there were a few moments when he did try. Probably a kind six.

Solanke – 5
A poor outing by his standards this season. Second game in a row he’s air shotted a good chance, I hope his touch hasn’t disappeared!

Danjuma (off on 45) – 5
Started brightly but then disappeared into the ether.

--- Subs ---

A Smith (on from 45) - 6
We needed the Smith that came on against Everton all those years ago and changed the game. Instead we got a mostly standard performance.

Wilshere (on from 45) - 6
A few nice touches, a few weak moments on the ball, a few decent passes. Not enough as yet but just about gets away with it as it's still early for him.

Brooks (on from 45) - 6
A massive step up from his recent showings. Still not perfect but started to look dangerous at times. I hope being dropped has got through to him that the way to get around nobody wanting to pay £40 million for him isn't to play like a £40k player.

Stanislas (on from 81) - 7 and Man of the Match
I'm struggling to find anybody that really merited MotM that was on the pitch for longer so for scoring in his brief appearance JS can have it.

Overall Grade: F
A bad result allied to an extremely poor performance after a month of shoddy play in the league puts this, in my eyes, as our nadir so far this season.

Tindall is failing here. His predecessor was famous for having poor runs in a season but at least you could see what he was trying to do and there was an identity to the play and partnerships on the pitch. The team always then turned that form around, until last season. Now we’re on a bad run and I’m still none the wiser as to what system it is JT actually wants to play or how he intends to turn it around.

It’s like he’s flailing around at the moment and it doesn’t inspire confidence.

Max has a big decision to make as he’s backed Tindall to sign Pearson and Wilshere but the reality is we’re desperate for a LB as well. Will MD give him more money after the way this last month has gone? The next few days could be very telling.

Last edited:
Massive Stanislas fan. MOM for 9 minutes plus stoppage is probably over egging it. I couldn't call a MOM to be honest.

It was by default. There was no other candidate that I could identify.

He shouldn't have been able to win it as he wasn't all that, which is fair enough given his time out, but...

----- Conclusions -----

- Stats will tell you we had lots of possession and shots. Don’t be misled, one five minute spell apart this was about as comfortable a win as Reading will have all season.

- We’ve seen too many halves since Tindall took charge that have been utterly devoid of organisation, leadership, cohesion and even ability on the ball. In matches where he was able to turn it around earlier in the season it was a worry but he seems to have lost that knack. Time to start getting it right from kick off.

- It was the right move to drop Brooks after his recent performances so I applaud that but the guys coming in didn’t seem all that bothered.

- Tactics, tactics, tactis. It’s fine being a Tinkerman when you get the results but when the wheels start coming off it makes it look like you don’t know what you’re doing. I’m much happier with the 4-3-3 than the 3 at the back but we need to decide on a system and stick with it for a while. Let some partnerships develop.

Tactical flexibility is great when you have a stock formation that the players can revert to if needed and know inside out. At the moment we seem to be failing to gel in about five different systems.

- Where was the hunting in packs? The team spirit? Driving each other on and supporting each other? On a team level the defensive work was woeful.

- Remember all those other weeks where I mentioned we need to find a left back from somewhere? Well, I do anyway. And we still do.

----- Player Ratings -----

Begovic – 6
Very poor on the second goal but he deserves to be bailed out by his team mates sometimes after his heroics this season. I get the feeling if it had gone in the corner he would have saved it, the problem was it being straight at him when he was set for the dive. A series of fairly routine saves kept it at three and pushes him back up to six.

Stacey - 5
Let's be honest, he was poor. Not much threat going forward and very suspect defensively.

Mepham - 5
Witness the live installation art work that was the footballing equivalent of a face palm.

S Cook - 6
A few interceptions to save other players but where was his leadership?

Rico (off on 45) - 4
Awful.

Lerma (off on 45) - 5
Surely the man in line to lose his place to Pearson.

L Cook - 6
A long way from his good form not so far back. What happened to that?

Billing (off on 81) - 5
Sometimes you get good Billing, sometimes you get bad Billing. This was bad Billing.

King – 6
He wasn’t very good but there were a few moments when he did try. Probably a kind six.

Solanke – 5
A poor outing by his standards this season. Second game in a row he’s air shotted a good chance, I hope his touch hasn’t disappeared!

Danjuma (off on 45) – 5
Started brightly but then disappeared into the ether.

--- Subs ---

A Smith (on from 45) - 6
We needed the Smith that came on against Everton all those years ago and changed the game. Instead we got a mostly standard performance.

Wilshere (on from 45) - 6
A few nice touches, a few weak moments on the ball, a few decent passes. Not enough as yet but just about gets away with it as it's still early for him.

Brooks (on from 45) - 6
A massive step up from his recent showings. Still not perfect but started to look dangerous at times. I hope being dropped has got through to him that the way to get around nobody wanting to pay £40 million for him isn't to play like a £40k player.

Stanislas (on from 81) - 7 and Man of the Match
I'm struggling to find anybody that really merited MotM that was on the pitch for longer so for scoring in his brief appearance JS can have it.

Overall Grade: F
A bad result allied to an extremely poor performance after a month of shoddy play in the league puts this, in my eyes, as our nadir so far this season.

Tindall is failing here. His predecessor was famous for having poor runs in a season but at least you could see what he was trying to do and there was an identity to the play and partnerships on the pitch. The team always then turned that form around, until last season. Now we’re on a bad run and I’m still none the wiser as to what system it is JT actually wants to play or how he intends to turn it around.

It’s like he’s flailing around at the moment and it doesn’t inspire confidence.

Max has a big decision to make as he’s backed Tindall to sign Pearson and Wilshere but the reality is we’re desperate for a LB as well. Will MD give him more money after the way this last month has gone? The next few days could be very telling.
Another honest appraisal, we had a five minute start then back to same old same old. Players are not doing their job, a full back first job is to defend. they seem to wander where ever they like. The second half with a few changes after 3 goals we started to play . I think a change is needed sooner rather than later.

If I hadn't managed to make this a 5 min task, I wouldn't have done it after the disappointment of last night, but the stats potentially show some salient points.

Reading.JPG

Clearly the first half was a shocker. I think Mepham was unlucky with the first one. It was hit hard and his job is to block it, the unlucky bounce is just what's happening to us at the min. That said, Reading seemed to be first to every second ball.

The second was obviously a Bego mistake following Rico's rash tackle, Bego's saved us in other games, so he has some leeway, but I'd expect he'd do better 99 times out of a 100 if it happened again.

I don't buy into the lack of Billing love, particularly when unfounded (e.g. "he's lazy", but the stats says he ran the furthest on our team) but I was still ranting to a semi-awake 7 year-old about 'how can he not control that' when Joao scored (good skills though to go round Cook)

We were the better team in the second half apart from the end when we were understandably leaving gaps (FYI there were multiple attempts recorded at 90 mins hence the xG over 1). This is possibly a silver lining. Brooks and Stani played well, Wilshere got minutes and looked good, and importantly, it didn't look like a team who'd given up on their manager.

These next five are crucial, win them all, and the blip will have been frustrating but historic, do badly and evidence that Tindall isn't the right man will be mounting. I don't know if he is or not, but am clinging to the fact that Ferguson, Hasenheutl etc came through tough times and did well, and it could happen to us. Although equally there will be managers who should have gone earlier.

I'm remaining (stupidly?) optimistic, Here's to 3 points on Tuesday.

And it wasn’t just last night’s dismal showing ... put it together with the deplorable performance against Derby and you get a real measure of the crisis. It IS a crisis because back to front (Begovic excepted) we’re technically poor and lacking in shape, motivation and energy.

I’m giving JT a couple of weeks to see if he can pull it together - maybe Pearson can show some leadership. After that - best to move for a manager who can mobilise a squad full of talent but that’s sinking fast.

BTW - well done Reading ... lively, skilful and committed.

If I hadn't managed to make this a 5 min task, I wouldn't have done it after the disappointment of last night, but the stats potentially show some salient points.

View attachment 4970

Clearly the first half was a shocker. I think Mepham was unlucky with the first one. It was hit hard and his job is to block it, the unlucky bounce is just what's happening to us at the min. That said, Reading seemed to be first to every second ball.

The second was obviously a Bego mistake following Rico's rash tackle, Bego's saved us in other games, so he has some leeway, but I'd expect he'd do better 99 times out of a 100 if it happened again.

I don't buy into the lack of Billing love, particularly when unfounded (e.g. "he's lazy", but the stats says he ran the furthest on our team) but I was still ranting to a semi-awake 7 year-old about 'how can he not control that' when Joao scored (good skills though to go round Cook)

We were the better team in the second half apart from the end when we were understandably leaving gaps (FYI there were multiple attempts recorded at 90 mins hence the xG over 1). This is possibly a silver lining. Brooks and Stani played well, Wilshere got minutes and looked good, and importantly, it didn't look like a team who'd given up on their manager.

These next five are crucial, win them all, and the blip will have been frustrating but historic, do badly and evidence that Tindall isn't the right man will be mounting. I don't know if he is or not, but am clinging to the fact that Ferguson, Hasenheutl etc came through tough times and did well, and it could happen to us. Although equally there will be managers who should have gone earlier.

I'm remaining (stupidly?) optimistic, Here's to 3 points on Tuesday.
He may have ran the furthest but to what effect ?

I'd be remiss not to point out Begovic's score here.

He let in 3 goals in the first half, showed poor technique and judgement and at half time had the lowest statistical score I've ever seen with 4.2 on whoscored.

Very generous.

He's been in the best form of his career no doubt, but his poor technique on low shots was highlighted again last night.

I'd be remiss not to point out Begovic's score here.

He let in 3 goals in the first half, showed poor technique and judgement and at half time had the lowest statistical score I've ever seen with 4.2 on whoscored.

Very generous.

He's been in the best form of his career no doubt, but his poor technique on low shots was highlighted again last night.
It was back to the old Begovic of last season. Not pushing the ball far enough away when making a diving save led to two of their goals IMO. I hope it was just a bad day and he gets back to his earlier form shown this season. I think 6 was too generous. :(

Weirdly first 10 mins we were fine .

then if fell apart . That Midfield 3 , the gaps were so big I did not know who was playing where .

if in doubt whack it forward is fine in my eyes but when the centre halves think they have a 50 yard passing range , that winds me up.
Cook looked like he had been on the beer all night

control the midfield and you control the game. Pass and move and it helps you get higher up the pitch .
Thought wilshire made simple passes look simple, and even more so when Stanislas came on .

solanke had some good little runs, and thought king was ok.

Rico his confidence must be shot . Done well first 10 and then fell apart.

It was by default. There was no other candidate that I could identify.

He shouldn't have been able to win it as he wasn't all that, which is fair enough given his time out, but...

He actually scored with a dreadful free kick, straight at the wall. The Reading defenders, obviously feeling sorry for us, parted like the Red Sea to let us score a consolation.

If he was man of the match, then rest of the team must have been appalling.......................... oh yes, they were.

He may have ran the furthest but to what effect ?

that’s a different question! If people say he is ineffectual then that is fair for quite a lot of games. But lazy suggests not getting round the pitch, which the stats clearly dispute.

I do think he is the automatic scapegoat for some though. Kirssika’s scores had 6 players with equal or lower scores which felt right to me, although not necessarily the same six. This said I was v angry with his miscontrol that broke up our attack and set up their third goal.

;