Max-Alain Gradel

...be good to mend bridges with him and give him a chance to fulfil his potential...but I guess with Ibe, who has to prove his worth too...Stanislas, Pugh and Fraser are ahead in the selection race at present which I don't see changing anytime soon?

I think given a run he could have potentially been of more use to us than Wilshere, And would likely to have chipped in with a goal or two, something that you would expect Jack to have done in his time here.

Seen him play a couple of 'U21' games.
Doesn't look interested.
Possibly understandable - but not the way to get into the gaffer's good books.

The Alchemist - 18/4/2017 15:17

Never recovered and been the same player since his last ACL injury.

We've never seen him properly (in the PL) prior to his ACL so not sure how you can reach that conclusion. Anyone who saw his comeback at Watford last year would be aware of his capabilities.

I think a number of factors have conspired against him, including his own attitude. Probably his departure would be a good move for both parties.

GARYafCb - 18/4/2017 15:50

Seen him play a couple of 'U21' games.
Doesn't look interested.
Possibly understandable - but not the way to get into the gaffer's good books.

I agree Gary, but like you said, it's understandable as he's barely had a look in all season...

I just hope Eddie can convince him to stay and fight for the chance to prove him wrong...

It's impossible to be sure, and you have to trust in what management see on the training pitch, but you have to believe that, given the chance, and decent run of games, Gradel would have chipped in with a goal or three and offered us another option up front, partnering King...

Then only position he is ever considered for seems to be the wing, which given out options up font, seems strange... Currently I'd put him above Ibe, purely on the fact we know what he is 'capable of'... So far Ibe is yet to really show even that...

Pugh, for all is legendary status, for me, has reached a ceiling... Stan blows hot and cold too much, never really putting in more than a few games' performances in... and that leaves Fraser, as the only constant performer...

So , still all to fight for... You know if he leaves, he'll be a World beater and we'll have numerous threads starting with "Should never have..."

He probably should not have been sent off in the 84th minute during the MN United friendly. The match was hardly confrontational and he acted very rashly. I can understand sticking with Fraser and Pugh on the left because of that alone.

Esquared1 - 18/4/2017 16:16

He probably should not have been sent off in the 84th minute during the MN United friendly. The match was hardly confrontational and he acted very rashly. I can understand sticking with Fraser and Pugh on the left because of that alone.

He's always been a bit of a 'hot head'. Sometimes that fire in the belly can work in your favour on the pitch. But one situation it definitely doesn't work in, is when not playing and being stuck in the reserve team.

Callum Wilson was given a lot of time to restore match fitness even when the team suffered for this (e.g. King's role) but gradel wasn't given the same opportunity. Not saying that is right or wrong but no doubt from Max's perspective this was a snub.

Agree with a lot of the above.
Unfortunately with Howe,once he has made his mind up about a player(Camp,Tomlin,Murray) that's usually it.
Another manager may have given him more match time,looks like it will be a manager at a new club,my guess Leeds.

AFCBade - 18/4/2017 17:13

Callum Wilson was given a lot of time to restore match fitness even when the team suffered for this (e.g. King's role) but gradel wasn't given the same opportunity. Not saying that is right or wrong but no doubt from Max's perspective this was a snub.

Gradel has had all season - yet still clearly doesn't look the same player as before his injury. Not sure he has ever regained his confidence physically and mentally from the injury - sometimes that happens.

He's clearly not showing enough in development games or in training to deserve selection or to be trusted enough to perform consistently in the PL.

BTW, it'll be interesting to see if Callum comes back anything like the same player next season - I'm doubtful.

I dont really understand the Max -love. For me he is one of those players who looks skilful but the end product was never quite there. A sort of upmarket Willie Huck

drd - 18/4/2017 20:15

I dont really understand the Max -love. For me he is one of those players who looks skilful but the end product was never quite there. A sort of upmarket Willie Huck

Will he score.......

The Alchemist - 18/4/2017 20:10

AFCBade - 18/4/2017 17:13

Gradel has had all season - yet still clearly doesn't look the same player as before his injury. Not sure he has ever regained his confidence physically and mentally from the injury - sometimes that happens.

He's clearly not showing enough in development games or in training to deserve selection or to be trusted enough to perform consistently in the PL.

BTW, it'll be interesting to see if Callum comes back anything like the same player next season - I'm doubtful.

My point was more that callum looked pretty poor for most of his comeback but kept his place; he would have looked equally off the pace if he just had 10 minute cameos as max had. Just trying to look at the situation from Max's perspective.

drd - 18/4/2017 20:15

For me it's definitely an emotional thing rather than knowledge thing. He was a great player to have around during a tough season, who had some massive personal issues but still turned up to play for his loaned club. He played with passion even when everyone else had dropped their heads and is the only player I remember who danced when people chanted his name. I think he averaged a goal every 3 games which was a great return for winger.

Obviously he was beyond us at the time and I enjoyed tracking his rise in the footballing world (except L**ds) and it kind of felt like a dream pairing when we reached the Premier League.

He turned down better paid jobs to rejoin us and Mourinho name dropped him as a player good enough for Chelsea.

While we never got the dream return with his injury we did get a goal after his injury (in a 10 points in 4 games spell), which he dedicated to Howe.

That's why I desperately want to see him succeed with us.

Attachments

• Bournemouth-v-Swansea.jpg
    Bournemouth-v-Swansea.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
His display up at Newcastle late last season put the final nail in their coffin and pretty much secured our survival, he was unplayable, dancing around their defenders for fun. That was after his injury. There must be something of that quality left in there, it's a question of getting the mentality right to bring the quality to the fore.

Well, he's moved form obscurity to 10/15 min cameos... So lets see if the midfield inputs crisis can come to his aid and get some decent minutes on the park...

....so what when Afobe was not in the team and revealed that he wasn't training hard enough?...many players seem to have fragile mentalities...like Rantie.....Grabban.....Tomlin.....and now Gradel, who will also go and be a forgotten man in the future.....only Murray has made an impression since leaving us!

;