MK Dons Report and MOTM

Rodmorg

First Team
Dons Well Beaten by Brisk Bournemouth

Following an entertaining and unbeaten 3 game start to the Premier League season, it was put on hold so Bournemouth could host MK Dons in the second round of the Carabao Cup. It would prove to be a success for the Cherries, as we eased into the third round.

New manager Paul Tisdale’s side had been relegated to the fourth tier after a tough season in League One, and currently sit second after a great start to the season. Familiar face Bailly Cargill started the match after joining for free from us during the summer, but could not stop the attacking prowess of our front three.

Eddie’s team consisted of new summer additions, with both Diego Rico (from Leganes - £10.7 million) and Jefferson Lerma (from Levante - £25 million), but also some who would be considered for the first team, such as Simon Francis, Lewis Cook and Jordon Ibe. Only one player had retained his starting position from our extraordinary comeback against Everton – Ryan Fraser. It was hard to determine whether or not the team set out as a 4-4-2 or a 5-2-3, despite various news sites displaying the formation as being 4-4-2, I constantly saw the back three of Simpson, Mings and Francis (later Steve Cook) staying back while we attacked, so I presume it’s a 5-2-3.

The whistle blew at 19:45 as the spectators created an astonishing atmosphere and applauded our record summer signing, Jefferson Lerma, as he took his first touch in front of an AFC Bournemouth crowd. Within ten minutes, a run from Mings found Mousset, who danced through two oncoming defenders and made an exquisite pass to the oncoming Lewis Cook, passed sideways to Fraser and the powerful shot from outside the box whistled over the bar.

However, five minutes later, we were ahead. A quick counter attack starting from Defoe’s looping ball to Mousset shifted the pendulum. He found the sprinting Fraser to his left and played a quick one-two before skipping past two defenders and poking the ball into the net from six yards out.

After an acrobatic shot from Mousset and an unlucky drive from Defoe were saved, we were two ahead. It started off when Lerma gave possession to the oncoming Ibe to his right, with him sprinting along the byline to the dead ball line. A ground pass to Mousset was intercepted and had gracefully been given back to him. Ibe then attempted to cross and this was again intercepted, but fortunately fell to Wee Man 12 yards out who struck an unstoppable second volley into the back of the net.

After half-time, Bournemouth continued to press in the same fashion hunting for a third and killer goal. Operating on the left this time, Fraser looped the ball to debutant Rico in a packed Dons box, who impressively made a mid-air back heel to lay it off to Fraser. From a tough angle, he again second volleyed the ball, of which bounced a few inches wide of the goal post. A few minutes later, Bournemouth had an excellent chance to kill the game off. After a bad foul, a free kick was given to us 20 yards out. Left-wing-back Rico stepped up to curl the ball over the wall and unluckily hit the bar. Had it had been an inch under, it would’ve been an oustanding goal to kick off your Bournemouth career.

After roughly an hour of play, a quick corner led to Lewis Cook laying off a simple pass to Lerma who struck a 20 yard rocket towards the top right, only to be palmed away by MK Dons goalkeeper Lee Nicholls - of which was a world class save. The game dragged on for half an hour before the killer goal was scored that had been expected far earlier. An excellent Lerma interception from a throw in allowed King to outmuscle a defender and lay it off to Ibe, who drove the ball into the back of the net from 15 yards out. A simple goal from a player that had underperformed during the match.

Player Ratings:

Artur Boruc - 7 - Only faced tame shots from the opposition but good vision and quick distribution to Defoe contributed to the first goal.

Simon Francis – 7 – On point today. Made some blistering runs down the right and put a few fine balls in. A solid 7 for the captain.

Jack Simpson – 6 – A quiet game from the young lad but made no mistakes today. His defensive partners were better.

Tyrone Mings – 8 – The best of the three tonight, pressed forward constantly and intercepted and tackled well. His pressing would start attacks and showed considerable pace today and seemed full of confidence. A great game for him.

Ibe – 6 – Hard to say, because he had some good spells during the match but then other times he was the opposite. In my opinion, he needs to pass the ball more like his team mates but he can be creative on the other hand. Scored a goal, the keeper should’ve done better, but a goal is a goal so well done. As one said, “Ibe is Ibe”.

Lewis Cook – 5 – A not so very Cook like performance today which is quite disappointing for the England international team hopeful. Made some simple passes and dribbles but below par due to the fact that some of these simple passes went straight to the opposition.

Jefferson Lerma – 7 – An all-round solid performance for our most expensive signing and seems to have the potential to be worth every penny if he continues to play like he did today. Was involved all match and did nothing wrong. Better than his midfield partner by a distance. Speaking of, he nearly scored a fantastic goal if it had not been to an even better save by the Dons goalkeeper.

Diego Rico – 6 – A decent debut for the new man, put in some good crosses into the box and could’ve provided a brilliant assist if Fraser had scored early in the second half. Likes to get forward which in turn means that there is a pocket of space behind him which the opposition can exploit.

Ryan Fraser MOTM – 9 – Typical Wee Man. Excellent dribbling, perfect passing and shooting and a well –deserved goal and assist too. No faults whatsoever and glad he played today. His speed is unstoppable (without bumping into) and my Man of the Match.

Jermain Defoe – 5 – Did nothing wrong but very quiet today. Made some good runs but most were offside or he didn’t receive the ball. Not involved as much today which is sad for a veteran of such high calibre. Made a powerful effort which should've seen the net bulge.

Lys Mousset – 9 – Danced through the defence with real confidence as well as winning many 1vs1 battles with his intense pace. A great goal too sharing some familiarity to Wilson’s excellent strike against West Ham. Came off injured and didn’t see it for myself but hopefully he’ll be ok. If he continues with performances similar to that, he’ll be in the first-team line up and deservedly so. It was tough to choose him or Fraser as MOTM.

Subs:

Josh King – 7 – A similar performance to Mousset but gave the ball away a few times. Showed great strength and agility to set up the Ibe goal.

Steve Cook – 6 – Showed bravery as per usual and once got in behind the defence. Not much to note other than that.

David Brooks – 6 – Not much to note given that he ran around for ten minutes but looked lively as his usual self.

Verdict:

The new signings look as if they have gelled well. Lerma especially, and it’ll be very interesting to see who he partners with in the future. He’ll fit in well with Surman and/or Gosling if he plays. Rico requires some improvement as he was too far forward and was lucky we weren’t against tougher opposition. Most of MK Dons’ attacks came from his area. Displays definite similarity to Daniels but needs to revamped a little. But overall a decent performance.

Defoe really needs to improve. I really like him as a person but as a player he isn’t the best compared to other players in his position. His rather disappointing performance justifies as to why Wilson and King are ahead of him in the lineup. I hope he improves and this is only a bad run of form. Additionally, it was surprising to see Lewis Cook perform badly. It’s not usually like him to do that but of course everyone goes through a bad run of form and we’ve got to accept that – nobody can be perfect. The argument about whether or not Surman or Gosling should play with Cook has gone on for a long time, and will continue; but maybe we should look at who partners well with each other, and not automatically select Lewis Cook as being the definite starter. Of course this is only one match but he underperformed in his cameo against Everton and nearly gifted a goal. Overall, he’s been a great player but personally I believe he’s going through a rough patch and that at the moment Surman and Gosling are performing better, thus why they are selected for the first team.

Anyway, this match has shown how far we’ve come as a team. Eddie only retained one starting position in Fraser but even without him we would’ve won comfortably. Of course MK Dons aren’t the hardest of teams (no offence) but a match like this shows that a “second” or “reserve” side could progress far into the Carabao or FA Cup. With the performances I’ve seen today it’ll be interesting to see if anyone will be pushed into the starting XI, such as Mousset and Mings, who shone today. Our FA Cup runs have ended in total disaster for the last couple of years, and the Carabao Cup run last season ended with pride, but an unlucky game against tough opposition. Hopefully this scintillating match is the beginning of a great cup run that us fans are desperate for.

Last edited:
Good report but Francis 7 are you Eddie Howe?

Lewis Cook didn't file on all cylinders but marked below Ibe?

Fraser has gone to another level this season.

I think too harsh on Cook just because of those few dodgy passes. Besides those he kept us ticking over and could have easily ended the game with 3 or 4 assists.

jus watched the highlights. The amount of space we were given (or able to create) compared to a prem game is amazing.

Good report but Francis 7 are you Eddie Howe?

Lewis Cook didn't file on all cylinders but marked below Ibe?

Definitely. I love Lewis Cook but he was well off last night (albeit more than a 4) and has done little or anything to increase his claim (on current form) for a starting place.

Jordon won't start either but last night had at least one assist, scored, had another decent shot well saved (a couple of awful ones too), actually ran at some players with real pace (I wish he would do that against better defenders) and made a decent contribution. The problem is, if some people keep telling a player he's rubbish it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. He's had plenty of mediocre games but Jordon made a decent contribution on Saturday and again last night.

Lewis will almost certainly have a better long term future/career but last night was not a good night for him.

Lewis needs to play regularly in order to maintain his skill levels which has not been the case of late. His forward vision and passing skills are normally second to none and he controls CM in the majority of games. He will obviously get better with game time so we shouldn’t judge him on one under par performance.

Lewis needs to play regularly in order to maintain his skill levels which has not been the case of late. His forward vision and passing skills are normally second to none and he controls CM in the majority of games. He will obviously get better with game time so we shouldn’t judge him on one under par performance.

Yet we should judge Gosling and Surman when they've not really done much wrong?

Cook needs to improve if he's going to get in the side, simple as that.

Very strange about Cook, heard he wasn't great pre-season either, but also not heard any off-field rumblings of discontent either.

I wonder if he's 100% fit, maybe he has some kind of low-level virus or something undiagnosed.

Yet we should judge Gosling and Surman when they've not really done much wrong?

Cook needs to improve if he's going to get in the side, simple as that.

A lot of rewriting of history here. Nobody is judging Gosling and Surman when they’ve ‘not done much wrong’ they are judging them on years of watching them against varying levels of opposition and knowing their age (in respect of improving) and potential.

People that want Cook to play are doing this on a similar basis and with the understanding that unless you are a poor player you get better with game time and experience. Much like you used to clamour for Ake and Smith to start in front of Francis when he wasn’t doing much wrong.

We have been fortunate to play Cardiff without their current first choice midfield and a West Ham team in utter disarray and no points. The first half decent midfield we came up against was Saturday and we were overrun in the centre of the pitch even with a man advantage.

The sooner we bed in Lerma and Cook the better. Some of the stuff about Cook on Facebook and social media is shameful. We certainly know how to put talent down as a fan base sometimes...

Very strange about Cook, heard he wasn't great pre-season either, but also not heard any off-field rumblings of discontent either.

I wonder if he's 100% fit, maybe he has some kind of low-level virus or something undiagnosed.

It will just be tiredness - he wasn't absolutely dreadful just off the pace a bit. Seems like a dedicated kid so I'm sure he will work his socks off to get to the level he needs to be. Wouldn't be surprised if Cook and Lerma is the favoured choice in a few months time. Can't say Eddie has been wrong in his team selections so far though.

Cook's passing radar was off, but he was still doing what he does best, collecting the ball off the defence and immediately turning forwards, moving forwards, passing forwards - you get the idea. Of course that carries some risk. A 4 is quite harsh!

Hopefully last night will have helped shake off any rust. We might well need a midfield 3 against Chelsea, so one or even both of Cook/Lerma may well be required at some stage on Saturday.

Ibe as I mentioned last night was hard to judge. He did well as a wing back because it forced him to run forwards onto the ball (using his pace) to meet the opposition defenders in full flight - often creating some chaos. As soon as he moved to number 10 attacking midfield, his game reverted completely to static, slow, trying too many tricks to no end product.

Then of course he scored which was a nice way to cap the evening! You can argue he setup the second goal as well, although in truth his cross was crap and deflected into Wee Man's path off a defender. But that whole situation was brought about by him progressing up the pitch from that deeper wing back position, it works for him. But you wouldn't have him as a wing back in a PL game where he'd be needed to defend, because he can't. He's infuriating.

I fear both Ibe and Defoe will turn out to be expensive mistakes in the end.

Rico and Lerma will certainly add something to the squad. What a shame neither of Rico's belting free kick or Lerma's 30 yarder snuck in, they would have capped a debut nicely.

A lot of rewriting of history here. Nobody is judging Gosling and Surman when they’ve ‘not done much wrong’ they are judging them on years of watching them against varying levels of opposition and knowing their age (in respect of improving) and potential.

People that want Cook to play are doing this on a similar basis and with the understanding that unless you are a poor player you get better with game time and experience. Much like you used to clamour for Ake and Smith to start in front of Francis when he wasn’t doing much wrong.

We have been fortunate to play Cardiff without their current first choice midfield and a West Ham team in utter disarray and no points. The first half decent midfield we came up against was Saturday and we were overrun in the centre of the pitch even with a man advantage.

The sooner we bed in Lerma and Cook the better. Some of the stuff about Cook on Facebook and social media is shameful. We certainly know how to put talent down as a fan base sometimes...

Yes we know you'd start Harry Arter and Darren Anderton based on previous form - I think Eddie goes by current form though the idiot.

Cook L had a very solid game then a funny 5 minutes where passes went astray, but in the opposition half so not a big deal when cruising at 2-0.

Good team effort, Mings looks like a good organiser, Ibe and Mousset are free spirits and fun and frustrating to watch.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was stuck between giving Cook a 4 or a 5 but given that he was up against weaker opposition he shouldn’t be making so many mistakes! I just didn’t see that creative spark that we normally see from him against stronger sides hence why I gave him a 4. Therefore, I’ve been given him the benefit of the doubt and edited it to a 5. Had it had been Surman making all those mistakes for example, everyone on here would have plummeted him with negativity.

Thing is with Ibe as a wing back - you’ve got to defend a little and I didn’t see any of that which is a shame because Fraser has played in that position so many times and is capable there despite his height. I can’t see Ibe being a wing back for much longer

Last edited:
Good report. My player ratings would be...

Boruc - 7
Francis - 7
Simpson - 6
Mings - 7
Rico - 7
Fraser - 9
Lerma - 8
L. Cook - 6
Ibe - 6
Mousset - 8
Defoe - 5

I'd have Lerma in for Surman for Chelsea; he looks like the sort of player who could have a great partnership with any of our other midfielders. I'd also put Rico in; linked up really well with the others which was good to see. Unfortunately Lewis didn't quite do enough to force his way back into the starting XI. Impressed with Mousset.

;