Monorail!

So it has taken 7-8 years for this to get of the drawing board and live... in China..!!! I can honestly say I will have my bus pass (I am in my 40s) before this is a reality in this country...

They seem to be like the vehicles that run in the shipping docks... working on a grid of invisible routes all over... Will be carnage on our congested, narrow roads...

I wish they (BCP) would stop coming up with new ideas every year and just get on with an idea... any idea, I don't care, just do something that eases congestion and commit to it...

I always find it incredible and depressing that all the new developments are given planning permission without any improvements in infrastructure whatsoever. All they ever do is maybe tinker with a junction or two. I would love to see which routes they think the occupants of the 630 new homes on the Cranborne Rd at Wimborne or the 200 at Cuthbury Wimborne are going to use to commute to Bournemouth or Poole. It will be fun when they meet up with the occupants of the extra 400 new houses at Parley Cross and 200 at Longham !!!

And the 700 planned near Bearwood

Surprised to see it’s been 2 years since a post on this thread.

I briefly caught Vikki Slade’s Facebook Q&A earlier and she mentioned the idea of trackless trains but it would need outside investment.

Had never heard of them before so had a google.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/28/new-...virtual-rail-lines-launched-in-china-7034155/

I am a shameless fan of trams and light railways. So much so that the highlight of our last trip to West Brom was catching the tram from New Street to the game.

I have to say those Chinese trams look really cool. Given they can be driverless and operate on much narrower tracks than roads I think they could be good for the BCP area.

For example if you built a park and ride plus airport parking where the quarry is by the Spur Road you could have a route along the lines (excuse the pun) of: Airport, Quarry Park & Ride/Airport Parking, Hospital, Littledown/J P Morgan, Kings Park (for Dean Court), Springbourne, Central Station, Madeira Road (for Bournemouth town centre), Charminster, Winton & University Campus. There and back within the 15 mile range.

Will never happen of course, but much better than more and more cars on the road. And more fun for tram anoraks like me.

I am a shameless fan of trams and light railways. So much so that the highlight of our last trip to West Brom was catching the tram from New Street to the game.

I have to say those Chinese trams look really cool. Given they can be driverless and operate on much narrower tracks than roads I think they could be good for the BCP area.

For example if you built a park and ride plus airport parking where the quarry is by the Spur Road you could have a route along the lines (excuse the pun) of: Airport, Quarry Park & Ride/Airport Parking, Hospital, Littledown/J P Morgan, Kings Park (for Dean Court), Springbourne, Central Station, Madeira Road (for Bournemouth town centre), Charminster, Winton & University Campus. There and back within the 15 mile range.

Will never happen of course, but much better than more and more cars on the road. And more fun for tram anoraks like me.
Didn't see the Q&A but while most people can't imagine this in a year or two, but I have long been suggesting we should have a plan to have this in 20-25 years. The soon we have the plan then the sooner we move forward.

Having a plan now implement later, would inform development between now and then, but no political risk from short term effects. Earmarking the Hubs and stops, would encourage solutions for a whole range of things.

I can imagine a whole range of local solutions a la Beryl bikes, but small short hire electric vehicles (modern C5) to take you the last mile home, for those not cycling or walking, through choice or ability.

For example for these 700 homes, they could ensure that cars have to be left at the entrance to the community, saving space on the development by only having single track service delivery, maybe enabling more homes on the same plot. The single car park, covered or underground could be a future monorail, team etc station. It's not perfect but knowing we have 20 years to develop towards the scheme people will adapt, entrepreneurs will find solutions, and what was 20 years accelerates to be 10 because people get on board(no pun intended)

It also feels like the natural evolution of the new low traffic neighbourhoods to make these no traffic.

Didn't see the Q&A but while most people can't imagine this in a year or two, but I have long been suggesting we should have a plan to have this in 20-25 years. The soon we have the plan then the sooner we move forward.

Having a plan now implement later, would inform development between now and then, but no political risk from short term effects. Earmarking the Hubs and stops, would encourage solutions for a whole range of things.

I can imagine a whole range of local solutions a la Beryl bikes, but small short hire electric vehicles (modern C5) to take you the last mile home, for those not cycling or walking, through choice or ability.

For example for these 700 homes, they could ensure that cars have to be left at the entrance to the community, saving space on the development by only having single track service delivery, maybe enabling more homes on the same plot. The single car park, covered or underground could be a future monorail, team etc station. It's not perfect but knowing we have 20 years to develop towards the scheme people will adapt, entrepreneurs will find solutions, and what was 20 years accelerates to be 10 because people get on board(no pun intended)

It also feels like the natural evolution of the new low traffic neighbourhoods to make these no traffic.
All sounds wonderful, now try selling those houses on the basis of something that might (never) happen in 20 years time. In the meantime (forever) thats more cars per smaller plot as people still have to drive and want freedom to go wherever and whenever they want.

Whilst I love all your ideas... the issue is everyone (not just councils) tend to always think in short-term as that is how people generate the money etc. or win seats... and that includes Govt. Govt always think in short-term cycles as it's the only way they win votes and can keep themselves in power...

Can you imagine a housing development company building a plot of 700 homes that have access for 1 car covered/driveway'd and then any other car needs to be left in a park and ride type area, outside of the development... A great idea but they would seriously struggle to sell those houses with that caveat in place... Most houses have 2 cars these days, some 3... Homeowners would see it as a hassle as people love their cars and conveniences...

It's the problem with society in that being green and environmentally conscious is either expensive or more inconvenient than convenient...

I'd love to see this sort of innovation in the BCP area and I am sure councils put some sort of infrastructure plan in place, but a 20yr plan...? I doubt it very much... too much can change in the town hall in that time so they will wonder what the point is...

People need to expect some inconvenience to become more green... I'd love to see more car free areas in the conurbation...

F*ck it... Make everyone visiting the town park and ride... Leave the town roads for residents only, screened by the new budget busting cameras all over the place that can now track number plates and movement through the whole area...

Yep, folk will moan at the eyesore car parks needed to house the thousands of cars parked up, but there you go... Just like the block on Navitus bay... Folk need to learn that life needs to change in order for life to continue... We cant all look out to idilc seas and picture postcard forests etc. forever... We need to learn to be more green and put up with whatever measures are needed to make that happen...

People need to expect some inconvenience to become more green... I'd love to see more car free areas in the conurbation...

F*ck it... Make everyone visiting the town park and ride... Leave the town roads for residents only, screened by the new budget busting cameras all over the place that can now track number plates and movement through the whole area...

Yep, folk will moan at the eyesore car parks needed to house the thousands of cars parked up, but there you go... Just like the block on Navitus bay... Folk need to learn that life needs to change in order for life to continue... We cant all look out to idilc seas and picture postcard forests etc. forever... We need to learn to be more green and put up with whatever measures are needed to make that happen...
The Council have cut in half the size of the new Bournemouth Hospital car park on the edge of town, because they thought even that encouraged drivers too much! :rolleyes: It's only a hospital that serves most of Dorset, yeah the sick people can just cycle from Dorchester and the nurses can jog home after their 12 hour shift.

Grrr....(sorry)

The Council have cut in half the size of the new Bournemouth Hospital car park on the edge of town, because they thought even that encouraged drivers too much! :rolleyes: It's only a hospital that serves most of Dorset, yeah the sick people can just cycle from Dorchester and the nurses can jog home after their 12 hour shift.

Grrr....(sorry)
Obviously common sense needs to prevail in some situations... A trait that a lot of people in power don't seem to have...

London gets ten times more infrastructure investment per person than anywhere else. To criticise people outside London for not having the same attitude to public transport as those in London is ridiculous.
thats a fair point, but having moved back to the area, I never use a car for anything. Maybe my attitude is developed from being in London and spoilt there. I just see a lot of evidently 'large' people using their cars for the smallest journies. We have to encourage people to cycle, walk and provide decent public transport at the same time as pricing people off the roads. The cost of motoring is way too cheap.

You need the right scheme in the right places with joined up thinking for the big schemes nationally like off shore wind farms and you need joined up thinking for local schemes too.

Navitus was the wrong scheme in the wrong place.

Some of these road closures are the wrong schemes in the wrong place. For example East Cliff, no cyclist is ever going to take that route traffic free or otherwise...meanwhile where do all the hotels visitors go?

You need the right scheme in the right places with joined up thinking for the big schemes nationally like off shore wind farms and you need joined up thinking for local schemes too.

Navitus was the wrong scheme in the wrong place.

Some of these road closures are the wrong schemes in the wrong place. For example East Cliff, no cyclist is ever going to take that route traffic free or otherwise...meanwhile where do all the hotels visitors go?

I agree with you DJ Re. these road closures that are popping up everywhere... Three seems to be no real logic to why they want them and what implications to others there will be (the hotels etc. as you mention)...

The key phrase you use here is 'joined up thinking'... Let's not make one random cycle lane... Lets make cycle routes... Something the council seem to be trying to do but doing it very poorly as they are not communicating the long-term plan... What will it all look like in 2-3 years, for example... Who knows...???

I'm not sure about Navitus Bay... I was for it as I want the Govt to 'just commit' to a greener way... whatever they chose to do... I'd be interested in learning why you thought it was the wrong scheme at the wrong time... Purely based on curiosity and not being argumentative... :)

Reactions: DJ
thats a fair point, but having moved back to the area, I never use a car for anything. Maybe my attitude is developed from being in London and spoilt there. I just see a lot of evidently 'large' people using their cars for the smallest journies. We have to encourage people to cycle, walk and provide decent public transport at the same time as pricing people off the roads. The cost of motoring is way too cheap.

I don't disagree I just wish public transport infrastructure was better outside London. Birmingham is one of the least efficient large conurbations in Europe, almost certainly due to their terrible transport system in comparison to other cities of that size. Its a disgrace that London has had centuries of significantly higher spend per capita and people wonder why the rest of the country feels left behind.

;