Nat Phillips

I can not see that there is any way in a million years that Liverpool see Phillips as a viable long term option for them, with all due respect to him he isn’t even close to that standard. If they loan him out it will be because they didn’t receive a suitable offer, not because they see him as a Matip replacement. I think he’s capable of playing PL level but not Liverpool standard by a long shot.
Used to be someone else on here who would exaggerate and say things like "never in a million years".

I can not see that there is any way in a million years that Liverpool see Phillips as a viable long term option for them, with all due respect to him he isn’t even close to that standard. If they loan him out it will be because they didn’t receive a suitable offer, not because they see him as a Matip replacement. I think he’s capable of playing PL level but not Liverpool standard by a long shot.
Drop Phillips into a Liverpool starting 11 and he will be surrounded by some of the best club footballers in the world. He will then play at a Liverpool standard.

If that’s the case then why did they pay 75m for Van Dyke? Or 40m for Konate?
Because Phillips isn't considered PL ready yet Waz. He's played bit parts and didn't look out of place in a strong Liverpool squad. Drop him in their squad and he'd look fine as he did previously when protected by the right players.

Indeed. Of course gentlemens agreements are trusted. Then when they aren't honoured, it contributes to players running down future contracts, leaving clubs with nothing. This is why I think clubs need to honour these informal agreements. Otherwise, players won't extend and the club won't make money from their players. If a player wants to go, let them. End of.

I don't like gentleman's agreements. Write it in the contract and then honour the agreement you signed in black and white.

End of.

Because Phillips isn't considered PL ready yet Waz. He's played bit parts and didn't look out of place in a strong Liverpool squad. Drop him in their squad and he'd look fine as he did previously when protected by the right players.
Bloody hell, you lot aren’t half obsessed with Waz. Seems to be at least one or two posts every day about him.
Anyway, back to the point, I have no doubt that he’d look “fine” if thrown into their starting 11. The point i was making is that to start for Liverpool regularly you need to be a great deal more than “fine.” Cannot believe anybody actually believes that Phillips has a long term future at Pool as a starter. He’s 25 as well, not exactly a kid who can develop further, these are his prime years now. I like Phillips and he could certainly make the step up for us, he isn’t going to be playing for Pool anytime soon though.

As we know from experience Liverpool are very good at realising their assets and I tend to interpret everything they’ve said and done with Nat in this light, including the renewal of his contract.

He’s not going to start for them and is reaching an age where he has to decide on what sort of career he wants… and Liverpool will manage their asset accordingly. They have no need to publicise their position - it simply serves to maintain the warmth, affection, best for the player narrative in the eyes of their fans.

All of this is genuine - he’s “one of their own” - it’s just a matter of a lucrative loan deal or an offer they couldn’t refuse and a perfect opportunity for Nat.

Good that we're not caving in to the Liverpool inflation. What they have sold Minimino for is silly I think. We've been ripped off by them before. It would be good to have Nat back but not on their terms.
Not sure weve been 'ripped off'.

We had a choice whether to pay the prices asked and we paid them.

Not sure weve been 'ripped off'.

We had a choice whether to pay the prices asked and we paid them.

I mean charged more than the players at the time were worth: Ibe, Brad Smith, Solanke (at the time). Rhian Brewster to SU for 20 million. Minimino this summer. There are clear patterns. Yes, it's our/other clubs' faults for agreeing to those fees. Liverpool will try their luck, though.

;