Neil Dawson thoughts?

clintclease

First Team
As Neil consistently provides insightful analysis to members of this forum it would be great to hear his thoughts on the current managerial situation if you have the time and inclination Neil?

My thoughts are it’s difficult to comment without knowing the detail, and wondering if we ever will!

I’m also slightly frustrated by people looking to apportion blame, because at first sight there doesn’t look to be any.

First off I’m gutted Eddie left because there is no better championship manager working without huge resource and needing to develop players. That’s before you take his history with us into consideration which dwarfs that first sentence. But.... I’m only maybe gutted for myself because if he wants an emotional break he is entitled to it.

Secondly I think Max has always supported Eddie time and time again with cash despite him not using it wisely (yes the players are worth a lot but he didn’t get the balance right if he got a squad that talented relegated). He also didn’t pull the trigger when many chairmen would. He deserves our thanks for his part in this journey not some of the crap he is getting on some social media channels.

My overriding fear is we have done that very Bournemouth thing of blowing opportunities. The first time we got out the bottom two leagues we brought a membership scheme in that capped gates and we overspent. The second time we recieved £600m, spent none of it on infrastructure and blew it on crazy stuff like the disastrous 50m we gave to Liverpool for crap players and loans or the 10m we will have paid Rangers to play Defoe. We needed to build a future. ‘No... we need those players else we won’t stay in this league’ said Eddie and a lot of fans.... well.... we spent the cash and got relegated anyway.

The one chance of establishing our club was to use the TV money on permanency. We missed that boat and we are now going to have a struggle in the championship with potentially a dispirited squad, more departures and the same tiny ground we have always had. A mistake we will always regret.

All of that means the next appointment is critical. It needs to be a big enough personality to follow a legend, put spirit back into a flat camp and work with little resource. I would go Gareth Ainsworth, Steve Robinson or Nigel Pearson. That way we stand a chance of building another identity. Any attempt to be another Eddie or keep some of his team will not work...

Thanks for that Neil. There are so many dull uninspiring people on the managerial merry go round who stay a year or two at a club achieve nothing and move on to the next club where they put on a repeat performance. I wouldn’t be happy with any of them. If we can’t get a manager with real ability and some charisma I would rather they make an internal appointment of some description.

About £80 million according to the accounts.

About £4.6 trillion according to NSC.
Ok thanks - so assuming we sell Cal W, Josh K and Jeff L for say £15M each (hopefully a little pessimistic there) we should be debt free? Not a bad starting point for the new man hopefully.

Not really. Our wage bill is huge. Even after relegation deductions it could be guesstimated at £80m. Some will drop off when we sell players but the parachute payment will only be about £45m so there's a huge hole in the budget.

Not really. Our wage bill is huge. Even after relegation deductions it could be guesstimated at £80m. Some will drop off when we sell players but the parachute payment will only be about £45m so there's a huge hole in the budget.
So in reality we need to sell enough of the high earners to drop the wage bill to sub £45M and go back to living within our means. Strikes me the new man (or woman....) needs to have an in-depth knowledge of the lower divisions/non-league in order to build a new squad to a tight budget.
Many thanks for the insight.

;