Neto

I see that highly rated Scottish keeper was part of the warm up Saturday, McKenna, perhaps he’s a season or two away from competition for the number 1 spot

Just to add I'm old enough to remember that a lot of people thought Gordon Banks was overrated because he had to save a lot of shots that were straight at him. And the reason that happened was Gordon's uncanny ability to read the game allied with an amazing positional sense which meant he wasn't always diving about all over the shop because he simply didn't need to.

Neto came in and did really well last season. There were still questions then about his ability to catch in tight situations when balls came in, but his shot stopping was pretty solid. Now he seems to have lost confidence with this. I wonder if our expectations have increased as well, and maybe we're noticing problems more than we did last season, but I'm not sure. No idea what the answer is this season. Giving Travers a go might lift his (Mark's) spirits, and we could see improvement, but as others have said, in cup matches, Travers hasn't looked that convincing when crosses have come in either. I suspect Andoni might keep Neto there this season, but let's see. Would love to see Rambo come back to us next season.. Let's see what happens.
Not Rambo .

There is a reason he’s been a number 2 for most of his career .
Hopefully we can bring in someone better in the summer as imho Travers isn’t up to the PL either . Both good shot stoppers on their day but also not really that special .

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one K as I'm definitely not a Neto fan for all the reasons stated. Your point about the move away over the years from keepers trying to catch the ball to beating it away is an interesting one, and something I have noticed myself. Peter Schmeichel seemed to be one who started this trend, but my goalkeeping heroes were the likes of Banks and Jennings who tried to catch the ball whenever they could, and I also admired Bruce Grobelaar's ability to dominate his box. Your point about modern footballs is also interesting. I don't know how hard they are to catch as I've never tried it, but there is no doubt that they fly through the air a lot quicker than the old ones as is evidenced by all the spectacular unstoppable long distance goals we have witnessed recently.
That's fair enough. I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have the occasional very high profile poor moments but I think that detracts from his overall very high quality.

I think the main thing with the balls is that they're much lighter and so they suffer from air resistance much more and that apparently forces 'keepers to react to rather than predict the path of the ball through the air because it will move (subtly) in unexpected ways.

For what it's worth I played in goal at lot as a kid and it seemed like magic when a pro would make a diving save and the ball would just stick to a single glove. I miss 'keepers holding the ball too and have a nostalgic image of them of projecting an aura of invincibility that I don't get from anyone these days.

That's always the gamble.

I've watched 'keepers gradually swap from catching to punching and seen various videos and articles on the subject where it turns out that it's not just "your" 'keeper who can't catch a ball it's actually a combination of newer balls being harder to hold and the relative risks of catching vs punching (i.e. attempting to catch the ball results in conceding a goal more frequently than punching, a striker happening to get on the end and finishing).

It's the keeping equivalent of "all he has to do is keep it on target"
Really good point. I have no problem with Neto punching everything. If he went to catch it and dropped it, that would be worse. The second goal on Saturday was a totally freak goal. I cannot see how people are blaming Neto for that. You may think I'm crazy, but as a former keeper, it didn't look like his fault to me. He saw the ball very, very late and misjudged it's trajectory. It happens.

There is a reason he’s been a number 2 for most of his career .
Hopefully we can bring in someone better in the summer as imho Travers isn’t up to the PL either . Both good shot stoppers on their day but also not really that special .
There is also a reason why he moved from a top team in Brazil (Paranaense) to a top team in Italy, then a top team in Spain. He played two full seasons for both Fiorentina and Valencia. And Juve and Barca don't buy unproven reserve keepers do they? He was back up to Buffon and ter Stegen.

Last edited:
I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one K as I'm definitely not a Neto fan for all the reasons stated. Your point about the move away over the years from keepers trying to catch the ball to beating it away is an interesting one, and something I have noticed myself. Peter Schmeichel seemed to be one who started this trend, but my goalkeeping heroes were the likes of Banks and Jennings who tried to catch the ball whenever they could, and I also admired Bruce Grobelaar's ability to dominate his box. Your point about modern footballs is also interesting. I don't know how hard they are to catch as I've never tried it, but there is no doubt that they fly through the air a lot quicker than the old ones as is evidenced by all the spectacular unstoppable long distance goals we have witnessed recently.

Yes there's no doubt modern balls move faster abd swerve much more than in previous eras.

Much harder to get to abd predict.

I recall seeing a documentary 10 odd years ago about a new ball that was about to be introduced. And one of the 'drivers' was thst it woukd likely lead to more goals, entertainment but woukd be a nightmare fir keepers, compared to whst they were used to.

So the whole pushing/punching it away makes sense.

I can recall back in the 90s, that punching/parrying where catch looked on, used to be a continental thing (bit like diving). Keepers like peruzzi at juve seemed to do it a lot, even when catch looked on.

Looks like the balls fly higher when shot at goal....
Really don't think he's as bad as people are making out.

Seems like if the first shot had gone under him people would have been happier.

He saved it, parried it, but the striker found it first.

Decent defenders would have cleared the ball.

He isn't perfect, but for Fuchs sake, let's stop blaming him for everything.

He's more than capable

Really don't think he's as bad as people are making out.

Seems like if the first shot had gone under him people would have been happier.

He saved it, parried it, but the striker found it first.

Decent defenders would have cleared the ball.

He isn't perfect, but for Fuchs sake, let's stop blaming him for everything.

He's more than capable
We could just blame cook instead

There is also a reason why he moved from a top team in Brazil (Paranaense) to a top team in Italy, then a top team in Spain. He played two full seasons for both Fiorentina and Valencia. And Juve and Barca don't buy unproven reserve keepers do they? He was back up to Buffon and ter Stegen.
Ok you’re happy with him for another season ,cool . Think you’re probably in the minority .If AI drops him again this season surely the writing is on the wall .

Ok you’re happy with him for another season ,cool . Think you’re probably in the minority .If AI drops him again this season surely the writing is on the wall .
Not sure AI ever 'dropped' him. Think he took a break for personal reasons.

Very happy to be in the minority. Don't see this board as a popularity contest.

Last edited:
As with Tavernier, Neto does not become a bad player overnight. He may have made a few errors of judgement of late. This is perfectly normal during a goalkeeping career (Ramsdale is have a nightmare of late too). This can be cured by a word in the ear and sharpening up one or two aspects in training. The guy does not deserve to be hounded. I would sooner have Neto between the sticks than Travers.

;