New Kings Park Stadium

I've always wondered what the demand for this type of multi use arena would be. There's a limited number of stadium events to go around and Southampton has two stadium's with a higher capacity for gigs and has much better links to much higher population than Bournemouth has. Additionally you'd have to wonder how keen BCP would be to have something that competes directly with their medium/large concert venue in town.

The events would be bigger than the BIC, two recent examples would be the darts and CBS, both have outgrown the BIC and have left for other venues.

The events would be bigger than the BIC, two recent examples would be the darts and CBS, both have outgrown the BIC and have left for other venues.

Sure but that's sort of my point. Is there a market for loads of events that are too big for the BIC? They would mostly just go to Southampton would they not? Have any football stadiums held darts events? Is it not just purpose built arenas that are about double the size of the BIC?

Sure but that's sort of my point. Is there a market for loads of events that are too big for the BIC? They would mostly just go to Southampton would they not? Have any football stadiums held darts events? Is it not just purpose built arenas that are about double the size of the BIC?

I don’t think they’d need loads of events, just ones they can host in June and July.

Which probably discounts the darts anyway. Darts outdoors doesn’t work either so without a retractable roof it’s not going to happen. Vaguely remember a football stadium hosting darts once, Germany maybe or was it Netherlands?

I think afcb would be after such a small slice of the pie that the BIC wouldn’t overly worry. One concert or comedy gig, taking a few nights from the bic maybe?

I don’t think they’d need loads of events, just ones they can host in June and July.

Which probably discounts the darts anyway. Darts outdoors doesn’t work either so without a retractable roof it’s not going to happen. Vaguely remember a football stadium hosting darts once, Germany maybe or was it Netherlands?

I think afcb would be after such a small slice of the pie that the BIC wouldn’t overly worry. One concert or comedy gig, taking a few nights from the bic maybe?

I wonder what sort of cash concerts or large events generate. Would one or two make a big difference? Genuine question. I suppose it would depend on the gig. I loved the CBS fight but I would imagine it was not a success in the eyes of the council and possibly the club.

I wonder what sort of cash concerts or large events generate. Would one or two make a big difference? Genuine question. I suppose it would depend on the gig. I loved the CBS fight but I would imagine it was not a success in the eyes of the council and possibly the club.

I remember that we tried to generate money from a concert (Girls Aloud??) and receiving a message from somewhere semi-official (Supporter's trust or similar) informing me that it had lost money. Can anyone else remember this?

I thought CBS sold out? Why wouldn't that be a success?

Was the failed concert the Party on the Pitch one? IIRC, someone that posted on here underwrote those losses. Was probably a case of a bunch of people trying to promote something they didn't have the experience in promoting. Which isn't a dig at the person on here, I don't think they had anything to do with that side of it!

Would we have to lose money if we're just the venue? Make it available to promoters in June/July for a fixed fee. It's then up to them to sell the tickets, and make or lose larger sums, but that's what they do so should be better at it than we were. I thought that was the more usual arrangement in these things.

I remember that we tried to generate money from a concert (Girls Aloud??) and receiving a message from somewhere semi-official (Supporter's trust or similar) informing me that it had lost money. Can anyone else remember this?
I remember the Elton John concert that sold out in summer 2006. Whether they made money on it I have no idea. Originally the club had permission from the Council for a certain number of outside events each year at DC but they never took it up much, probably too much effort just for one offs for a small club.

The poster on the fence outside the stadium (Ted Mac public walkway) saying that an application to modify the license removing boxing would suggest you're right.

Was the failed concert the Party on the Pitch one? IIRC, someone that posted on here underwrote those losses. Was probably a case of a bunch of people trying to promote something they didn't have the experience in promoting. Which isn't a dig at the person on here, I don't think they had anything to do with that side of it!

Would we have to lose money if we're just the venue? Make it available to promoters in June/July for a fixed fee. It's then up to them to sell the tickets, and make or lose larger sums, but that's what they do so should be better at it than we were. I thought that was the more usual arrangement in these things.

No it wasn't sold out. They said that 15,000 were there but the Ted Mac was closed and there were one or two blocks in the normal away end unused plus probably the same on the main stand side (couldn't see from where I was). There were seats on the pitch but nowhere near enough to get to normal match day attendance let alone 15k.

The main thing though is that it was just incredibly violent in the stands. Fights kicking off all over the place at least one of which was the subject of a police investigation - bloke had his ear ripped/bitten off. I doubt anyone involved is in any rush to host boxing there again any time soon. Personally I absolutely loved it.

There were quite a few empty seats near us.
We only went as they sold them half price on the Friday.

Ok, fair enough. Sounds like the boxing was a lot less busy than I thought. However, if we were only the venue and not the promoter, then it isn't our problem.

I'd imagine if you booked the stadium well in advance, picked the right event and promoted it well then you could sell it out a couple of times a year. Especially in the summer with the town swelled with tourists.

The main thing though is that it was just incredibly violent in the stands. Fights kicking off all over the place at least one of which was the subject of a police investigation - bloke had his ear ripped/bitten off. I doubt anyone involved is in any rush to host boxing there again any time soon. Personally I absolutely loved it.
Did you give him his ear back afterwards?

No it wasn't sold out. They said that 15,000 were there but the Ted Mac was closed and there were one or two blocks in the normal away end unused plus probably the same on the main stand side (couldn't see from where I was). There were seats on the pitch but nowhere near enough to get to normal match day attendance let alone 15k.

Yeah but the boxing just happened to involve bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton based fighters didn't it?

Plus with Southampton recent defeat to us and relegation, it was always liable to be a bit more 'spicy' compared to if the event was hosted a year earlier.

If that puts the organisers/authorities off, then they're daft. Particularly if money was made.

Police it properly next time, particularly if certain events in football have recently taken place. Seems like common sense, surely... rather than write it off entirely.

Yeah but the boxing just happened to involve bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton based fighters didn't it?

Plus with Southampton recent defeat to us and relegation, it was always liable to be a bit more 'spicy' compared to if the event was hosted a year earlier.

If that puts the organisers/authorities off, then they're daft. Particularly if money was made.

Police it properly next time, particularly if certain events in football have recently taken place. Seems like common sense, surely... rather than write it off entirely.

They didn't sell out with a load of local fighters on the bill. How are they going to sell tickets without local interest?

;