New Kings Park Stadium

I always wondered how Stadium MK was funded as it would appear to be a white elephant. Found this below that explains it.

David Conn of The Guardian corroborated this assessment. "The whole project was indeed dependent on Asda and Ikea," Conn summarised in a 2012 article, after interviewing Winkelman. "Having seen the opportunity to build a stadium Milton Keynes lacked, and realised Asda did not have a store in the town, Winkelman acquired options to buy the land from its three owners, including the council. Asda would not have been granted planning permission for a huge out-of-town superstore unless it gave the council the benefit of building the stadium. A League club would move up, permission would be granted, then Winkelman would exercise the option to buy all the land, sell it to Asda and IKEA for very much more, and the difference would be used to build the stadium."

It wasn't just Retail units funding the stadium but also stadium facilitating planning permission for the retail units.

Are you really expecting discussions with the Trust? How many members are they, and would that make a realistic fanbase representation from which the Board(or Bill) would make decissions?
At best Id expect lip service where they are offered prior notice of any announcement, so they are seen to be included, give them that warm feeling. But I wouldnt expect the CT to have any realistic input
I don’t expect - I hope.

I guess that digging a massive hole to enable a sunken bowl type stadium massively hikes the build cost though?
It depends on scale - a 6,000 ish bowl wouldn’t be that deep and you save on steelwork and external materials. It’s a model used extensively in Spain and I’ve seen the ‘spoil’ banked around the hole to make a bigger bowl. Groundwater/water table may be an issue but KP is just about the highest point in Bournemouth.
It’s merely a suggestion but I like that design and it has its plus points.
DC fully built would have a capacity of 15000 -even a 4,000 bowl would give the 18,500 capacity mooted.

Isn’t the whole of that area including the present stadium built on top of an old rubbish tip?

There’s already been a lot of ground work done when doing the training ground for drainage etc. Sure not to a level needed for a stadium, but maybe enough to give them an idea of what is there.

It depends on scale - a 6,000 ish bowl wouldn’t be that deep and you save on steelwork and external materials. It’s a model used extensively in Spain and I’ve seen the ‘spoil’ banked around the hole to make a bigger bowl. Groundwater/water table may be an issue but KP is just about the highest point in Bournemouth.
It’s merely a suggestion but I like that design and it has its plus points.
DC fully built would have a capacity of 15000 -even a 4,000 bowl would give the 18,500 capacity mooted.https://www.costmodelling.com/costa...iserstoreinfo/publications/StadiaFootball.pdf
Double (or maybe treble) every rate and take with a pinch of salt… but a useful breakdown to help analyse costings for various design options…

https://www.costmodelling.com/costa...iserstoreinfo/publications/StadiaFootball.pdf

Last edited:
Are you really expecting discussions with the Trust? How many members are they, and would that make a realistic fanbase representation from which the Board(or Bill) would make decissions?
At best Id expect lip service where they are offered prior notice of any announcement, so they are seen to be included, give them that warm feeling. But I wouldnt expect the CT to have any realistic input
I think there are other groups that could also be invoked. Or they could have a forum or survey on the topic.

Dare I say it ,would we get 20,000 in league 1 or 30,000 in the championship? I sort of feel that our demand for tickets and clamour for a mahoosive stadium is purely because we are in the PL. If we got relegated I think the numbers would drop off. The tourists want to see Man City not Mansfield.

Let's get a new ground built first before moaning about the capacity

I wonder if 18.5k is capacity suggested as following consultancy with council, any larger structure may make obtaining planning permission more arduous.

Then once in place, can expand a few years later, much more easily.

Otherwise, 18.5k is underwhelming imo. I'd have liked to have seen 22-25k, with room to expand.

Yep and Brighton going from 5k to 32k in a couple of season.

We would be going from the smallest ever Premier League ground (I think Luton expanded in time for their first game) to the 7th smallest ever and the third smallest in the current Championship.

All that said, it's something and I really don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. It's a bit like having to sell your motorbike after having your first child and someone buying you 2 seater coupe. It's so much better than what you have and you're immensely grateful but you're wondering how you're all going to fit.

Last edited:
Dare I say it ,would we get 20,000 in league 1 or 30,000 in the championship? I sort of feel that our demand for tickets and clamour for a mahoosive stadium is purely because we are in the PL. If we got relegated I think the numbers would drop off. The tourists want to see Man City not Mansfield.

The reason those clubs get big attendances is due to sustained higher level football, and tens of thousands being able to attend regularly and 'catch the bug', become properly attached to the club.

If we plummeted to league 1 in 5 years, we woukdbt get much more than our last stint down there, as the potential 'loyal' fans connection is allowed to properly take hold, as tgey can't get in due to silly little ground we currently have.

Can't think too negative or we'll never get anywhere. Not saying go gung ho of course, but decisions have effects on long term.

Proper loyal/core fan base will never grow, as long as we stay in small capacity stadiums. Well always have a small core fan base, and those locked out will stop wearing afcb stuff around town should we descend bsck to where we started. And people on here will say 'see, that's why we shouldn't have built a 25k stadium. In same way people say don't need new ground when 10 seats are empty at a home game.

Doesn't tell true story/whole picture imo.

Last edited:
Pompey's efforts to try and sort out Fratton Park make our stadium shenanigans look pretty trivial, they've been talking about different plans on and off for at least 30 years. We built current DC in that time!

I don’t think we’d fall to the same attendances in the third tier if we dropped down there over the next five years.

Yes and it’s a big yes, a generation of supporters have been locked out, which will undeniably have an effect on our supporter base for years and years to come.

But, AFCB being in the Premier League has made AFCB “cool”, kids do have the shirts. Kids wear the shirts, you go to a football training session at a local park or school and AFCB shirts outnumber your Man City’s, Liverpool’s, Real Madrid’s, PSG’s and Inter Miami’s (easily the top 5 shirts you see kids wear).

When a stadium comes it’ll be too late for some, granted, they could well be lost to other things without the bug biting them, but there is potential to be released. The fan base has grown undeniably.

I don’t think we’d fall to the same attendances in the third tier if we dropped down there over the next five years.

Yes and it’s a big yes, a generation of supporters have been locked out, which will undeniably have an effect on our supporter base for years and years to come.

But, AFCB being in the Premier League has made AFCB “cool”, kids do have the shirts. Kids wear the shirts, you go to a football training session at a local park or school and AFCB shirts outnumber your Man City’s, Liverpool’s, Real Madrid’s, PSG’s and Inter Miami’s (easily the top 5 shirts you see kids wear).

When a stadium comes it’ll be too late for some, granted, they could well be lost to other things without the bug biting them, but there is potential to be released. The fan base has grown undeniably.

Yes it has grown. But not enough to be significant in terms of people going regularly to get 10k in lower leagues.

Kids are fickle and tickets aren't cheap. 'Cool' factor is due to being in top tier. Certainly won't be Cool for long in league 1, unless we're dominating and get promoted quickly imo.

The big stadium reveal is going to be interesting. I've said before if it were me I'd time it to coincide with ST price increase announcement (if that's what they are going to do). Hopefully they've also got a higher initial capacity planned and it was all expectation management. If they announce a 22k ground with the potential of 26.5k then 10% increase in ST prices then people will generally accept it imo.

The big stadium reveal is going to be interesting. I've said before if it were me I'd time it to coincide with ST price increase announcement (if that's what they are going to do). Hopefully they've also got a higher initial capacity planned and it was all expectation management. If they announce a 22k ground with the potential of 26.5k then 10% increase in ST prices then people will generally accept it imo.

I don’t share your confidence. Not after last seasons hikes as well.

Granted not much of a discussion point, you hold one point of view and will reiterate it I’m sure. :)

;