New Kings Park Stadium

With Championship attendances at their biggest in 70 years, and top flight attendances their biggest ever, still think 18,500 in the 14th biggest conurbation in the country is distinctly underwhelming.

I guessing the underwhelming capacity is to placate the local planning office as much as anything
anything drastically bigger and they'd be having kittens

Last edited:
Defintely sounds like pre-app discussions are well underway between the club and BCP council. If one was so minded an FoI could be submitted to the council.

Starting to build a new ground with a capacity under 25,000 makes it very clear they either aren't here long term, or don't expect us to stay in the top two divisions - unless football is suddenly going to fall out of fashion after a century and a half of (overall) hugely increasing popularity.

Starting to build a new ground with a capacity under 25,000 makes it very clear they either aren't here long term, or don't expect us to stay in the top two divisions - unless football is suddenly going to fall out of fashion after a century and a half of (overall) hugely increasing popularity.
Really, so investing 100's of millions, building a new training complex and stadium, for what?

Starting to build a new ground is better than what we have. FFS.
When your username played you could do star jumps all around the ground without contact.
I'll give you reality boys phone number, you can have a good time together.

Bloody hell.

So selling out 18,000 every week is better than letting a few local kids free into a 25,000 ground occasionally when we play the other smaller clubs?

Seaweeds built a 25,000 after years in the wilderness and needed more immediately.

I do agree though, it ain't my money.
Yes it's not your money, easy to spend someone else's

Odd take. So many unknown variables could be influencing this.

Could be perceived demand
Could be council demand to reduce pissing off locals
Could be financial constraints
Could be size versus how quick it can be built

These are just those I can think off at 6am, sure they'd be others if I put my mind to it, but it's far too easy to criticise.

One thought listening to bills interviews, they must already have the design for the new stadium, given he knows they can increase the south stand etc

Plus building work on structure like that woukd likely encroach into athletes stadium.

Using Debrecen’s stadium as an example (similar capacity and potential footprint with Bill’s expansion comment)… I always assumed something like the below would best fit the site (assuming the athletics was relocated)

View attachment 12960

But Bill repeating that the south stand could be expanded makes me think it might be as below. In which case could you keep the athletics track?

View attachment 12961

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Faced with the original plans and a multi-million pound cost and additional planning permissions in order to relocate the Athletics Stadium, I think that Foley has probably issued a brief to architects asking what could be achieved utilising the training complex alone.

The answer is an 18,500 capacity stadium, possibly 22,000 plus if the south side (adjacent to the Athletics Track) is a double decker stand. When you think how Brentford’s ground is squeezed into an awkward space, it is clear that any half decent firm of stadium architects could come up with a solution to fit the space you’ve illustrated so neatly above.

As at Brentford there’ll be a high proportion of premium seats as Foley has said. I could be wrong, but I think he mentioned the Athletics Track in one or two early interviews but hasn’t referred to it more recently.

The land the club owns at the south end of Dean Court ( roughly everything south of the line of the south stand penalty area) would provide the main approach to the new ground. Structadene would be happy with that because it would help them to get planning permission for housing on the rest of the site, which would no longer be big enough for a sports stadium.

Last edited:
Going for a 25,000 capacity is basically only placing one leg out of the top of the Tinpot rather than climbing out...cripes after all this waiting surely we should be sated with at least 35,000....and that's only 4,500 more than fake football club Milton Keynes Dons in League 2 !

I
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Faced with the original plans and a multi-million pound cost and additional planning permissions in order to relocate the Athletics Stadium, I think that Foley has probably issued a brief to architects asking what could be achieved utilising the training complex alone.

The answer is an 18,500 capacity stadium, possibly 22,000 plus if the south side (adjacent to the Athletics Track) is a double decker stand. When you think how Brentford’s ground is squeezed into an awkward space, it is clear that any half decent firm of stadium architects could come up with a solution to fit the space you’ve illustrated so neatly above.

As at Brentford there’ll be a high proportion of premium seats as Foley has said. I could be wrong, but I think he mentioned the Athletics Track in one or two early interviews but hasn’t referred to it more recently.

The land the club owns at the south end of Dean Court ( roughly everything south of the line of the south stand penalty area) would provide the main approach to the new ground. Structadene would be happy with that because it would help them to get planning permission for housing on the rest of the site, which would no longer be big enough for a sports stadium.
I'd love to live in a house built on the site of the old Dean Court ! Nice and handy for the new stadium too.

Interesting. I wouldn't be sure that the people in the existing housing who would now be staring at a new North Stand would be impressed though.

It’s much easier to expand once it’s built. IIRC, Brighton expanded very quickly from the original build.
Brighton effectively built a 32k stadium which was useable at 25k (or whatever).

I can't think of a single example when it was easier to bolt on extra capacity as opposed to designing for it at the start. It sort of makes a mockery of the architect profession to suggest it.

If it was so easy to expand why not just add 7k seats to DC?

;