New Manager Thread

I’m not saying they are causing managers and players not to come im saying that if enough people say it an apathy spread over the fan base and people don’t hold the board to account for what could be a third time they’ve gone to a world market and come back to an assistant they already had. And it’s not like it’s worked for this board before.

I’m optimistic about the potential for this football club but not if it keeps making unsuitable managerial appointments.

In terms of the last two years signings how many of them are regular features or would make most peoples ideal starting line ups for this season? We are heavily reliant on players signed in Eddie’s day two years after he left. List all the players we brought in last year and how many are either still here or start.
So being reliant on players after two years is a bad thing? I'm not that clued up on dates of signings, but this is my list:
Travers, Smith, Zemura, Anthony, Cook, Mepham, Kelly, Billing, Lerma, Solanke. May have missed a few, but from that list there aren't many who are nearing the end of their careers, so I don't see how you can use that as a stick to beat the Board (well I do). Only 11 players can start, and they will have to up their game to get in the side.

Of the new players I think Christie has been good, Keiffer Moore was great last season, and I hope he can step up this year. Only one game last week but Fredericks played well. No Joe Rothwell yet so impossible to say. I thought Dembele had moments in the Championship.

Thank you for asking me to do that. It confirms that it really isn't as awful as you are trying to make out. Talking down afcb.

Christie, Pearson, Moore, neto, I think fredericks will become a regular.
Pearson, one good game filling in… he wasn’t even a regular last year. Would you play Neto ahead of Travers? Most fans wouldn’t. Christie has been bang average on the occasions he has started. Moore doesn’t seem to be a starter under O’Neill or latterly under Parker.

So being reliant on players after two years is a bad thing? I'm not that clued up on dates of signings, but this is my list:
Travers, Smith, Zemura, Anthony, Cook, Mepham, Kelly, Billing, Lerma, Solanke. May have missed a few, but from that list there aren't many who are nearing the end of their careers, so I don't see how you can use that as a stick to beat the Board (well I do). Only 11 players can start, and they will have to up their game to get in the side.

Of the new players I think Christie has been good, Keiffer Moore was great last season, and I hope he can step up this year. Only one game last week but Fredericks played well. No Joe Rothwell yet so impossible to say. I thought Dembele had moments in the Championship.

Thank you for asking me to do that. It confirms that it really isn't as awful as you are trying to make out. Talking down afcb.
You think Christie has been good in the PL? Dembele had moments in the championship but we aren’t in it. You missed Tavernier who has been excellent. It’s not all gloom but in general the signings in the last two years were not PL ready and trying to bring in players like Stephens was the final straw for Parker in his rows with the board.

Pearson, one good game filling in… he wasn’t even a regular last year. Would you play Neto ahead of Travers? Most fans wouldn’t. Christie has been bang average on the occasions he has started. Moore doesn’t seem to be a starter under O’Neill or latterly under Parker.
Its a squad not everyone will play every game. Look at Eddie's team whenever we lost games he reverted to our div1 team. He struggled to bring in ready made replacements. A number of current team weren't starters under Eddie, solanke a prime example.
Tavenier is a starter, not sure what involvement he had with zemura or Anthony.
Our team will evolve but won't be overnight

We have a squad (and we will need all of them) capable of holding our own amongst the PL deadmen…hopefully Brooky comes back in the new year like a fresh new signing because at his best he can bring some real class to the side…for me Neto keeps his place over a still rookie Travers…Moore gives us a plan B…the midfield has plenty of options with the likes of Pearlo and Rothwell alongside the experienced others in Cook, Lerma and Billing

I'll judge the new manager on their performance thanks. I don't need an opinion on the board's performance until they fail, which they haven't on balance so far no matter how many times you try to convince everyone they have.
I know you will. Like you loved Tindall when he was beating Rotherham 1-0 but then didn’t love him when he was losing. You loved Parker when he got promoted but then were calling him a d***head after he lost 9-0 and slagged the board off.

Some of us can see past short term results and think longer term to the outcomes you eventually reach.

I know you will. Like you loved Tindall when he was beating Rotherham 1-0 but then didn’t love him when he was losing. You loved Parker when he got promoted but then were calling him a d***head after he lost 9-0 and slagged the board off.

Some of us can see past short term results and think longer term to the outcomes you eventually reach.

Yes I backed him from the start and was happy and surprised with his start until he apparently lost the dressing room. I don't need to judge people on what might happen in the future. I've absolutely no interest in slagging the team off on the off chance I might be proven right - I'm a supporter after all.

Yes I was absolutely fine with Parker until he got beat 9-0 and told the fans they better get used to it then I wanted him sacked asap.

Yes I backed him from the start and was happy and surprised with his start until he apparently lost the dressing room. I don't need to judge people on what might happen in the future. I've absolutely no interest in slagging the team off on the off chance I might be proven right - I'm a supporter after all.

Yes I was absolutely fine with Parker until he got beat 9-0 and told the fans they better get used to it then I wanted him sacked asap.
I know. It’s just limited thinking. Clearly Tindall was never going to be a manager and plenty of people called it. Woodgate turned out as predicted and Parker repeated everything everyone worried about post his Fulham days. Worrying those things would happen don’t make you any less of a fan though.

Similarly let’s put O’Neil, who it’s not unreasonable to say is an unlikely elite manager, up against some really decent opposition domestically and internationally and make sure he is the correct appointment. That’s not a lot to ask.

You think Christie has been good in the PL? Dembele had moments in the championship but we aren’t in it. You missed Tavernier who has been excellent. It’s not all gloom but in general the signings in the last two years were not PL ready and trying to bring in players like Stephens was the final straw for Parker in his rows with the board.
Yeah thanks for Tavernier. More evidence! I was surprised Neto got picked but let’s give him a run before judging too harshly.

Either way, it’s not quite the disaster you’re portraying.

I know. It’s just limited thinking. Clearly Tindall was never going to be a manager and plenty of people called it. Woodgate turned out as predicted and Parker repeated everything everyone worried about post his Fulham days. Worrying those things would happen don’t make you any less of a fan though.

Similarly let’s put O’Neil, who it’s not unreasonable to say is an unlikely elite manager, up against some really decent opposition domestically and internationally and make sure he is the correct appointment. That’s not a lot to ask.
Apparently being optimistic makes you less of a fan ;-)

It's not limited thinking at all. I've got no idea what the club's financial situation was when they appointed Tindall or what Max had told them he wanted. For all I know Max had started to listen to the growing chorus of people, led by you, who constantly banged on about Eddie having too much influence and so he instructed him to change his role or get out. They had a very short turnaround so appointed JT, who initially did ok then failed so they quickly sacked him and appointed JW. This was a good decision because he got within a whisker of achieving their goal but then they rightly got Parker in. What were your worries about Parker Neil? That he'd get us promoted? I bet you barely slept.

As I say, I have absolutely no desire to slag the team off before they've failed. There is simply no requirement or desire on my part to label a player or manager as bad early in their AFCB tenure.

I'll happily slag the board off if they fail but aside from not getting every decision right they simply haven't failed yet. It is absolutely bizarre to base your entire opinion of the club on a dislike of a board who have clearly done ok by any objective measure.

I've given my opinion, there are no candidates who stand out to me other than this Knutsen guy and even he would be a massive gamble. If O'Neil continues to do ok there's no rush to appoint someone if a suitable candidate isn't available.

It's not limited thinking at all. I've got no idea what the club's financial situation was when they appointed Tindall or what Max had told them he wanted. For all I know Max had started to listen to the growing chorus of people, led by you, who constantly banged on about Eddie having too much influence and so he instructed him to change his role or get out. They had a very short turnaround so appointed JT, who initially did ok then failed so they quickly sacked him and appointed JW. This was a good decision because he got within a whisker of achieving their goal but then they rightly got Parker in. What were your worries about Parker Neil? That he'd get us promoted? I bet you barely slept.

As I say, I have absolutely no desire to slag the team off before they've failed. There is simply no requirement or desire on my part to label a player or manager as bad early in their AFCB tenure.

I'll happily slag the board off if they fail but aside from not getting every decision right they simply haven't failed yet. It is absolutely bizarre to base your entire opinion of the club on a dislike of a board who have clearly done ok by any objective measure.

I've given my opinion, there are no candidates who stand out to me other than this Knutsen guy and even he would be a massive gamble. If O'Neil continues to do ok there's no rush to appoint someone if a suitable candidate isn't available.
I agree with your last sentence. I’d rather keep O’Neill in a caretaker role than rush an appointment. I just hope we are looking for the correct appointment and have learnt from our previous two caretaker appointments both of which I think lacked validity through the players because they had not come through a proper process against other talent.

Out of interest if we appointed Pulis or Hughes or Pardew would you back them unwaveringly as a true fan should apparently or would you have an opinion and state it?

I agree with your last sentence. I’d rather keep O’Neill in a caretaker role than rush an appointment. I just hope we are looking for the correct appointment and have learnt from our previous two caretaker appointments both of which I think lacked validity through the players because they had not come through a proper process against other talent.

Out of interest if we appointed Pulis or Hughes or Pardew would you back them unwaveringly as a true fan should apparently or would you have an opinion and state it?
I’d be worried but back then. As opposed to prejudging any appointment.

I’m not saying anyone is to blame. It’s just frustrating to me that some of our own fanbase have such low expectations and are so pessimistic. We paid Cahill 3m last year, Parker more and that was in the league below before we had the guarantee of 200m TV money.

If you believe the board, which I’m assuming you do as you stick up for them at every turn, we were willing to spend much more money in the summer it was just Parker refusing all the signings as he thought they were crap that stopped it. He was probably right in this regard looking at who they brought in the year before.
In fairness I don’t know what Parker was paid.
How do you know what Cahill was paid?
As you seem to know so much, how come you haven’t got influence at the top.
You must be a trusted influence.

But you can only appoint people who are available one way or another and obviously the owner's propensity to spend cash on compensation is relevant if you're trying to get someone who's currently employed. There's no one on the list of possibles who strikes me as a great option, as I say this Knutsen might be but he's a gamble as much as anyone else.

Tbh I'm not clearly not as bothered as some about style of football - I felt fine with the level of entertainment last season for example. I've said I would be happy to back Dyche although I wonder if he'd come here - ironically too similar to Burnley in terms of limited budget.

Pulis, Hughes and Pardew are surely finished at this level so I wouldn't like them, I'd obviously back them if they were out manager though if they were winning games.

Personally I want Curbishley.

;