New Manager Thread

I'm fine with giving O'Neil the job at least until the World Cup. I think the Bradbury comparison doesn't really hold up. Lee did his best but he inherited a squad on a high under Eddie's watch and he just didn't have the ability to see it through. O'Neil has nothing to lose, so let's see what he can do.

Rodgers will be available shortly. Someone Eddie thought highly of, went and worked with on occasion, and who plays a similar style.

He would however expect backing in the market! Pretty Parker-esq in his comments lately.

O'Neil + team show an ability to motivate the squad, and an eye for a tactical switch, that's a lot of bases covered. Means there's no need for us to rush anything.

I'm fine with giving O'Neil the job at least until the World Cup. I think the Bradbury comparison doesn't really hold up. Lee did his best but he inherited a squad on a high under Eddie's watch and he just didn't have the ability to see it through. O'Neil has nothing to lose, so let's see what he can do.

Fair point! Certainly O Neil would have had tougher job on paper to motivate players AND manage to get a good result, whereas arguably Howe's old team was already riding on crest of a wave to some degree and needed less input, at least initially.

Just wonder what the reaction to O’Neil would be if we suddenly had a bad run of games again, our fans can be very fickle.

On the other hand his team are giving their all for him as showed yesterday in that comeback.

Eddie was given the job with no experience, so maybe O’Neil might just do a good job.

But it depends if our club are looking for an experienced manager, but not ones that have been on the managerial ‘merry go round’ from one job to the next.

Bit like JT. 352/532 is fine if wingbacks are deployed in a certain way. Danger is they just turn into an almost flat back 5, with little width offered going forwards if manager doesn;t set it up properly.
Yes. You have to be brave and leave the wingbacks up, unless ten mins to go and defending a lead.

Used properly it’s an exceptionally attacking way of playing. Our experience here has been with JT and SP one of whom was tactically bereft and the other very negative in outlook so we haven’t seen it at it’s best.

No formation bothers me or delights me. They all work depending on your personnel. They tend to look wrong when managers bend personnel to fit their tactics rather than vice versa like good managers do.

The issue we have is if we use Smith as one of the three (which we currently do) then he will get targeted by taller strikers peeling off onto him at far post. So we need to hope they trust Senessi again or Jack Stephens is strong to play this long term then what do you do with Smith or Frederiks.

Gary Coops and Tommy have great experience of AFCB and know how things are run at the club
Not only that but they can Motivate the players and that is a great benefit to any one and was why EH was so successful for us
If they are prepared to take on the challenge why not let them try
After all EH had no real experience in management and look where we got under him

UTCIAD

Yes. You have to be brave and leave the wingbacks up, unless ten mins to go and defending a lead.

Used properly it’s an exceptionally attacking way of playing. Our experience here has been with JT and SP one of whom was tactically bereft and the other very negative in outlook so we haven’t seen it at it’s best.

No formation bothers me or delights me. They all work depending on your personnel. They tend to look wrong when managers bend personnel to fit their tactics rather than vice versa like good managers do.

The issue we have is if we use Smith as one of the three (which we currently do) then he will get targeted by taller strikers peeling off onto him at far post. So we need to hope they trust Senessi again or Jack Stephens is strong to play this long term then what do you do with Smith or Frederiks.

Smith is not a a cb in any way or form... we're in trouble if he's playing there regularly... He's certainly aggressive, brave, but isn;t strong enough physically or good enough positionally/anticipation wise (these 2 things would need to be world class level to make up for stature/strength) to compensate for his lack of stature as a cb...

But yes agree, no formation is strictly negative or offensive, personnel, instructions, style dictate the end result. Obviously if we lined up 6 3 1 I'd be concerned though...

I doubt anyone would call that Spain team negative playing 4 6 0... but would hate to see Parker/TIndall try employing it.

Gary Coops and Tommy have great experience of AFCB and know how things are run at the club
Not only that but they can Motivate the players and that is a great benefit to any one and was why EH was so successful for us
If they are prepared to take on the challenge why not let them try
After all EH had no real experience in management and look where we got under him

UTCIAD
There’s a big difference in Eddie coming in as a last chance saloon in league 2 and taking a premier league club. I’d like us to explore the market and have a vigorous interview process which O’Neill can also chuck his hat in for.

In my view 3 at the back works best if the 2 outside players are comfortable as fullbacks. That way the unit can slide across the pitch to cover balls / runs down that side of the pitch. It does require the wing back on the other side to drop to cover cross field balls. Example being Euro 96 Neville & Pearce,

N
There’s a big difference in Eddie coming in as a last chance saloon in league 2 and taking a premier league club. I’d like us to explore the market and have a vigorous interview process which O’Neill can also chuck his hat in for.
N I bow to your knowledge but all good management need to Start somewhere and who is to say all 3 of them are not good enough
The next couple of games should tell us
let’s not race headlong into a disaster

UTCIAD

.after yesterday's result who could better O'Neil, he had 5 minutes to make up a team and had help from Cooper and Co, the untried guys who probably have had no Premiership experience.
Keep O'Neil . Whatever he 'put into' our lads at half-time worked miracles.
UTC

N

N I bow to your knowledge but all good management need to Start somewhere and who is to say all 3 of them are not good enough
The next couple of games should tell us
let’s not race headlong into a disaster

UTCIAD
No need to bow to my knowledge it won’t be any different to yours or anyone else’s. I just think scour the market bring the best in for interview and include O’Neill if he is one of them. See who comes out tops.

Caretakers often get a bounce because players who have fallen out of love with a previous regime find a new bounce and purpose. Sustaining that over the twists and turns of a season are another thing though. That relies on experience, strategic thinking and leadership. I’m not saying O’Neill doesn’t have those things but he had never proved them at any level. There will be other candidates that have and it’s a crucial appointment. We would need to be sure he is the best candidate and a thorough interview process vs others is the only way. We’ve had three coronations before and two of them didn’t work, arguably all three.

Can’t really compare Howe getting the job to now offering it to O’Neill.

Howe was only offered job as we had no pot to pee in and he was almost the only option as he was already on the coaching side…

We have better choices now being where we are..I am not saying don’t offer him the job just that the two situations are a quantum sized gap apart.

what Gary has done is relieve some pressure on the owner and board to appoint in the immediate!

;