Newcastle away

N19

First Team
I'm heading up to the Newcastle game for my first trip to St James Park (and Newcastle). Any suggestions where good to get a drink beforehand? Also, any other suggestions for what to do up there? I've got a couple of days so want to have a bit of an explore.

AFCB have only taken just over 1,000 tickets but they seem to be selling very slowly so far... bit of a shame as hopeful of getting a result.

I've been to two away games so far this season and seen two wins so bring on a result!

very much depends what you like of course. my favourite pub is the free trade inn, which makes for a nice walk. I particularly like this review on tripadvisor - "Same old free trade sadly now catering to left wing real ale drinkers with more money than sence 2 stars for the great bar it used to be best Becks, sandwiches & jukebox in Newcastle, quite sad."

Rosie’s... also opposite ground has just had a refurb and was in it last week and was excellent. Not sure you would get in with colours so check if you opt for it.

very much depends what you like of course."

Love craft beer but very happy with a more real ale type pub - mainly just after somewhere with a nice vibe, not too busy and football fans to chat to without a fear of getting beaten up would fit bill!

Love craft beer but very happy with a more real ale type pub - mainly just after somewhere with a nice vibe, not too busy and football fans to chat to without a fear of getting beaten up would fit bill!

crown pasada, split chimp, head of steam, the box social all good for crafty aley types

Reactions: N19
I'm not a twigs-and-mouse-tail in beer type drinker ;-) so all I can offer is Shearers bar at the end of the ground. They seemed happy to let away fans in and were very friendly.

There was a pub down the road but sadly was inaccessible.

5am start? Gulp.

You really don’t need to worry about the last point. You’ll never meet a friendlier or more knowledgeable bunch of fans to talk to.

The Bodega is really good (although it sounds like a tapas bar, it is a large Victorian pub with a decent selection of beers). It is quite busy before matches but not absolutely rammed. I also like the Bridge Tavern, which is a bit further away from the ground.

Riley’s Fish Shack in Tynemouth is a great place to eat. It is essentially a shipping container plonked down on a fantastic beach serving great food in cardboard boxes. They seem to have a thing about using shipping containers on Tyneside. There’s a place called the Stack which is a collection of bars, eateries etc in the centre of town all in shipping containers. It includes a really good sushi place called Sushi Me Rollin’. And on the other side of the Tyne in Gateshead there is a similar thing based around the By the River Brew Company.

Bodega Bar, always top notch.
Locals pretty much love us, we relegated Sunderland and put the final nail in McClarens coffin. You wont have any problems with them. Wish I could go, first one I have missed up there.
Best away trip by a mile, have a good one.

Can't remember the name of the name of the bar, but there's a smart bar that shows football opposite the Gallowgate end. We asked a local copper if there was a friendly away fans bar, he replied that there wasn't because all the bars are friendly! Take your pick and enjoy.

Can't remember the name of the name of the bar, but there's a smart bar that shows football opposite the Gallowgate end. We asked a local copper if there was a friendly away fans bar, he replied that there wasn't because all the bars are friendly! Take your pick and enjoy.
Shearers. Or the No. 9?

I'm heading up to the Newcastle game for my first trip to St James Park (and Newcastle). Any suggestions where good to get a drink beforehand? Also, any other suggestions for what to do up there? I've got a couple of days so want to have a bit of an explore.

AFCB have only taken just over 1,000 tickets but they seem to be selling very slowly so far... bit of a shame as hopeful of getting a result.

I've been to two away games so far this season and seen two wins so bring on a result!
Partly selling slowly because they are selling the worst block first

The Union Rooms is alright for cheap drink and does food. Been to Bogeda as well, gets very busy, so get there early if you want a table. You'll be made welcome wherever you go really..Flying up from Bristol on Fri night to make a weekend of it.

The Union Rooms is alright for cheap drink and does food. Been to Bogeda as well, gets very busy, so get there early if you want a table. You'll be made welcome wherever you go really..Flying up from Bristol on Fri night to make a weekend of it.

Same here but the half five flight

Head of Steam is superb, if the weather's good and you don't mind shiteish beer the Pitcher and Piano by the swinging bridge is quite a nice chill out.

;