Non - A question about Ireland, and best book to read

GaryRB

UTC Legend
Having served in the military (albeit it I left over 20 years ago) I've read a couple of books on its history, Easter uprising, the 6 counties, linking of religion to the troubles etc, but in truth I've forgotten most of what I've read, and it was probably before the Good Friday agreement so things have also moved on. With the news this week of a Unionist being appointed First Minister on return of power sharing, it got me thinking and renewed my interest.
Knowing there are a few on here with Irish links, and some without but who consider themselves well informed, are there any recognised 'go to' books which best explain the history, challenges faced, and why the problem may never go away, to a simple Bournemouth lad like me.
I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks and fancy a decent read whilst lazing in the sun. I know I can 'google' best Ireland books etc, but I'm also open to recommendations. Cheers

I would join you in that read ............. it's a segment of history that I have never really grasped, and (I believe) is too often simplistically defined.

Having served in the military (albeit it I left over 20 years ago) I've read a couple of books on its history, Easter uprising, the 6 counties, linking of religion to the troubles etc, but in truth I've forgotten most of what I've read, and it was probably before the Good Friday agreement so things have also moved on. With the news this week of a Unionist being appointed First Minister on return of power sharing, it got me thinking and renewed my interest.
Knowing there are a few on here with Irish links, and some without but who consider themselves well informed, are there any recognised 'go to' books which best explain the history, challenges faced, and why the problem may never go away, to a simple Bournemouth lad like me.
I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks and fancy a decent read whilst lazing in the sun. I know I can 'google' best Ireland books etc, but I'm also open to recommendations. Cheers
I think you'll find O'Neill is anything but a Unionist.

Say Nothing...by Patrick Radden Keefe 9.99 paperback. 2019.

An American author...non fiction...but kind of reads like a fictional account..of occurrences in 1972...surrounding Jean McConville who 'disappeared'.
Involving murder, abduction, affect on children, spying...researched from obviously contentious material but in my opinion fairly balanced in it's description of what led up to the 'troubles'.
Sad and grim stuff....but a good insight.
However as with most books on the subject...you are still left wanting still more depth of understanding of the political complexities of this province....
You probably, would need to read three or four books about the Conflict in NI...which tbf contains some of the friendliest, and most engaging, intelligent people in the World...on both sides of the Divide .

Landlord or tenant?: A view of Irish history

Magnus Magnusson

The author sums up the intent of the book well in his last paragraph:

“In the Historiographical Revolution, Irish historians are slowly defusing Irish history on both sides of the Border as sacred writ to be cited as a categorical imperative to act in a certain way. We can only hope that eventually we will all learn to place the right emphasis on history as history, on mythology as mythology—and on today as today.”

Or you could just listen to inflammable material by stiff little fingers
Used to have that album when it came out before my Dad banned it in the house. Saw them play in Bournemouth, think it was Glen Fern Road, in what became or was part of the Maison Royale

Probably not what you’re looking for Gary if you’re more interested in the North and the Troubles, but I picked up a pocket sized Short History of Ireland (Richard Killeen) while holidaying in Connemara a few years ago, deals briefly and succinctly with all Irish history. Easy to dip into between beers, or with a beer ! Happy to lend it to you- it’s envelope sized so easy to carry.

I lived the first 24 years of my life in Belfast, mid sixties through to 1990. Experienced the "troubles" and the rest...married a Catholic girl from Fermanagh and have lots of family all around Ireland.
It's an "old" book, but I remember reading "Ireland - a History" by Robert Key forty years or so ago...I think that's well worth a read, although things have obviously "moved on" since the early 1980's. In a good way.

Last edited:

;