Non - Agglestone Rock

Billy, the Agglestone is, according to Google, two miles from me.

I've not been there for 40 years. :grinning:

I'm leaving it to you grockles.

I'm sure you'll find it easily enough, just follow the trail of empty drinks bottles and discarded crisp packets.

As it's been fairly dry for a few days on the heath, don't forget to take a portable barbeque as well.

Grockles!

Bit of uninteresting information for you. :grinning:

We must have all read the Dandy at sometime.

It was first popularized because of its use by the characters in the film The System (1962), which is set in the Devon resort of Torquay during the summer season. Some older dictionaries suggested that it might be a West Country dialect word. Other scholars have put forward the theory that it originated in a comparison of red-faced tourists (wearing baggy clothing with handkerchiefs on their heads) to ‘Grock’, a clown and music-hall performer who was famous in the first half of the 20th century.

The word ‘grockle’ was indeed picked up by The System‘s scriptwriter from local people during filming in Torquay. However, it was apparently not an ‘old local dialect word’. According to research by a local journalist in the mid-1990s, the word in fact originated from a strip cartoon in the children’s comic Dandy entitled ‘Danny and his Grockle’. (The grockle was a magical dragon-like creature.) A local man, who had had a summer job at a swimming pool during as a youngster, said that he had used the term as a nickname for a small elderly lady who was a regular customer one season. During banter in the pub among the summer workers, ‘grockle’ then became generalized as a term for summer visitors.

https://languagehat.com/grockle/

Park on the road, (from the ferry) about .75 mile on there's a cutting to the right & bit further on bus stop to the left.

Well, take the track on the right - about a 30 minute walk I guess or 20 mins on a mountain bike.

It's not stonehenge, but bit similarly strange rock on the landscape there - you can follow track round & come out on road not very far.

Not particularly hard walking/cycling, nice views on back of harbour.

Park on the road, (from the ferry) about .75 mile on there's a cutting to the right & bit further on bus stop to the left.

Well, take the track on the right - about a 30 minute walk I guess or 20 mins on a mountain bike.

It's not stonehenge, but bit similarly strange rock on the landscape there - you can follow track round & come out on road not very far.

Thanks.

My posting above may not be entirely accurate - last visited site 41 years ago with with my mates from Poole Tech - then camped the night in Banks Arms car park - doubt much has changed though

Don’t forget also to visit the Puckstone, nearby on the heath. Teenage humour in 1960s said that the first was where you’d ”aggle” and the second where you’d “puck”. Sorry all … how did I remember that??

;