Non- another hero gone

My dad died on Wednesday after fighting pneumonia for the best part of 2 months. He was 98 and had fought in WW2 over in Palestine, Syria and Egypt. He worked as a flight engineer servicing the aircraft.

He took me to my first Cherries game in the late 1970’s /early 80’s which I think was a friendly against Watford. Whilst he wasn’t a fully signed up member of AFCB (he was born close to Highbury and retained a love of Arsenal) he was responsible for my passion towards the club and came to many games. He attended Cherries games with me well into his 90’s and had a half time dedication read out on his 90th birthday in 2011. I will remember in particular the promotion party home game against Rotherham in 87, the game at wembley, and the only time we went away together on the coach to Watford, when Ian cox headed the winner. His last game i took him to was the 1-1 draw against Huddersfield in the latest promotion season. He watched last seasons home game against Arsenal on the tv with me.

I also got to take him to see Arsenal at Stoke where we were treated to a meal beforehand and half time pies.

RIP dad. You deserve a rest

A lovely story to read despite the really sad circumstances because it resonates across all football fans and it’s what a parent child relationship should be.

One of a great generation too. They did more than others and that’s a great story to be proud telling.

I hope you bear up ok in the next few tough months pal and and thanks for sharing these great memories.

Condolences. My Dad also served in Palestine, Syria and Egypt in WW2 - and also in the RAF. Then he was in Burma, India and Iraq - what an extraordinary time for those young men and women.

Dad took to me, aged five, to the stadium to see Poole Pirates and later to Dean Court, I’ve made it a principle to take my kids to DC when small and hope they’ll do the same with their little ones. Get them when they’re young!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories at such a sad time.

My dad was of the same generation and served in Normandy, Belgium and Germany followed by a stint in Palestine before he was demobbed. My mum carried on working as a wages clerk at the heavily bombed Vosper Thornycroft shipyard in Southampton throughout the Blitz. So it wasn’t just the men who showed great fortitude.

We quite literally owe that generation our freedom. RIP to them all.

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much for your support guys. I know that I don’t know any of you personally, but like to think that through our love of AFCB we are an extended family. I’m sure our paths will have crossed unknown at many games.

Your Father will be entitled to Military Standard Bearers if desired. Christchurch Legion can help.

I don't know you personally, and probably never will, but i can only wish you all the best. times like this makes me know not to take every minute for granted with my dad. and i can only hope my dad lives to a great age like that and i can only hope you can see this time as a celebration of a great life and who seemed to be a great man.

My condolences to you UC.

I think we all reflect on our own relationships after these posts. Always brings tears to my eyes thinking of times pasted with my late Father.

Thanks for sharing and all my best wishes.

My thoughts are with you at this dreadful time, makes you wander where would we all be without our late fathers taking us to our first games. Mine was another that never got to see us in the premier league.

;