Non Arter

Ever since the start of the 17/18 season Arter has been a shadow of his former self. I remember watching that opening game at West Brom and thinking, who the hell is this guy? I don’t know what happened that summer but he never got any better.

Some players need a bit of fire in their belly to perform. Arter is a much better player when calm and composed. It’s been so long that he’s been able to play with calmness and composure that managers now typecast him as a destructive player than the ball player he once was.

I thought he did ok and was quite glad he went off.
Not too much quality around him though,but still think he would have been a decent squad player here,but that was never going to happen.

I thought he was given a strange role tbf....in behind the striker in the first half and then out on the left.....very strange......didn't look fit either.
Said this a lot throughout the game.

It seemed he was the 2nd furthest upfield for most of the game and once our CB’s passed it into Lerma or L Cook, he was just chasing shadows.

I agree with the majority on here and he didn’t look his normal self, however his normal self may just be in a midfield 2 in an Eddie team!

I thought he was poor. Did his pressing thing with no-one else, which meant he was just out of position half the time.

Reactions: drd
I was genuinely worried that he might inflict one of his trademark tackles on any of our players throughout the game. I was relieved when he went off without having done any damage.

Playing him and Lyle Taylor upfront was hopeless for Forest. I just wondered if frustration might get the better of him. Luckily, he took it out on the referee post-match instead.

Was a shadow of the player we had and his tackle on Lewis was trademark Arter and he was lucky not to be punished for it....until Lerma tired he was a class above ( but then 4K v 25m he should be!)

People talk about Forest as having a strong team, their own fans allude to it being the strongest for years and yet they have 3 Bournemouth "rejects" leading their line. Its weird to think that a team with Grabban, Taylor and Arter is seen as being strong for this division. I just cant agree.

Arter was part of a promotion winning midfield last season whilst Grabban and Taylor both scored a bunch.

They aren't firing on all cylinders now but when they get themselves sorted out they'll climb the table and probably threaten the play offs.

Taylor's movement was good last night but he was far too isolated. Put a fully fit Grabban alongside him and they'll be a different proposition.

Arter look about as match fit as me but I assume that will be rectified over the coming weeks.

People talk about Forest as having a strong team, their own fans allude to it being the strongest for years and yet they have 3 Bournemouth "rejects" leading their line. Its weird to think that a team with Grabban, Taylor and Arter is seen as being strong for this division. I just cant agree.
Looking at their squad list:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nottingham-forest/kader/verein/703/saison_id/2020/plus/1
I realise that not only is it huge, but there's loads of names there we'll recognise.

Hughton of all people should be able to fashion a decent defence out of the likes of: McKenna, Dawson, Jenkinson, Bong, Blackett,Christie and the Portuguese players who I know nothing about but have good pedigree.
Arter and Colback as a spine have PL experience.
Ameobi, Lolly, Knockaert, Freeman are all good creative players.
Taylor and Grabban we know. Clough was highly rated and cost a fair chunk a few years ago.

While it can't boast as much PL quality as us 3 relegated sides, there's plenty there to be working with. Not sure what's been going on, but if that squad is struggling at this level then there's probably mismanagement going on for me.

He was a shadow of his old self, about the only trademark Arter was the booking for gobbing off after the final whistle.
Shame but his best days are gone.

;