NON : Bands/Artists You Got Into AFTER You Grew Up

davidwhitehead

Fans' Favourite
I guess for most of us, music was at its most exciting while we were growing up ?

Between the ages of, say, 14 and 25 was when we were having plenty of fun, parties, clubbing, holidays away with mates, the first intoxicating feelings of independence without being weighed down by adult responsibilities, our first intense relationships...you get the picture ?

The music we loved back then was the soundtrack to our golden carefree years, and even now, many years later, the intro to a well-loved hit can instantly transport us back to those exciting times...

But there came a point (me, when I was about 24) when I realised I was no longer passionately interested in new music.

Of course, I still listened to all my old records (I still do !) but there was no longer that insatiable need to discover new music. It sort of slipped down my list of priorities without me quite realising it.

If I think about the past few decades, then there's only been two new artists that I have felt really passionate about, in the way that I once felt about my teenage idols. For me, it's The Divine Comedy and Rufus Wainwright...

Is anyone else out there like that ? Still loving music, but only REALLY loving the music of when you were young.

Last edited:
From late “70s” been listening to punk/street punk/Oi but for the last few years deffo getting into folk/neo folk etc..The Unthanks..Telling the Bees..Wardruna and Wolcensmen are my faves..

I guess for most of us, music was at its most exciting while we were growing up ?

Between the ages of, say, 14 and 25 was when we were having plenty of fun, parties, clubbing, holidays away with mates, the first intoxicating feelings of independence without being weighed down by adult responsibilities, our first intense relationships...you get the picture ?

The music we loved back then was the soundtrack to our golden carefree years, and even now, many years later, the intro to a well-loved hit can instantly transport us back to those exciting times...

But there came a point (me, when I was about 24) when I realised I was no longer passionately interested in new music.

Of course, I still listened to all my old records (I still do !) but there was no longer that insatiable need to discover new music. It sort of slipped down my list of priorities without me quite realising it.

If I think about the past few decades, then there's only been two new artists that I have felt really passionate about, in the way that I once felt about my teenage idols. For me, it's The Divine Comedy and Rufus Wainwright...

Is anyone else out there like that ? Still loving music, but only REALLY loving the music of when you were young.
I love listening to Nation radio in the car: mainly 80s, and 90s music. I still really like Supergrass, Cast, Longpigs, Green Day, Aerosmith etc. Like you I don't get obsessed with music like I used to and have to buy new CDs etc. I think part of the reason might be that music now is just generally not that great.. A lot of it sounds the same to me. It's okay, but I wouldn't buy it or go looking for tracks on YouTube like I sometimes do with the older stuff. Hopefully, a new era of music will come along soon that I can get obsessed with:) By the way, it makes me laugh when I see the too cool for school teens at the beach playing loud 80s music. Even they know it was much better then than a lot of what's released now.

I have always liked mainstream but now it would be:

Editors
The Heavy
Django Django
Sea Girls
Girl in Red
Sam Fender
Venbee
Liquido
Wavves
Bilk

I was at Kingston Poly (remember those?) in late 70s. Three wonderful music years, punk/ new wave combined with funk and soul and in those years saw so many bands from X Ray Spex to Bob Marley. Clash, Jam, Buzzcocks etc. Then the jazz/ funk/ soul of weather report, parliament, EEF, commodores, crusaders, rose royce. Tail end of my time in London saw the emergence of Specials, Madness, Dexy’s and so on. Oh, and the Cure.

The 80s was a bit of a musical desert, with some notable exceptions. The Style Council I loved and went to some gigs , including the UB40 one at the RATS centre. Also loads of reggae gigs at the Town Hall. Aswad, Eek A Mouse, Misty, Yellowman.

Then in the late 80s the first Soul II Soul album blew my mind and I got right back into music through a couple of radio shows, one was Essential Music and the other Big Beat. The latter was DJ Jeff Young. An example playlist

Jeff Young Big Beat Show 05/01/1990
mantronix - gotta have your love
gino latino - welcome
def jeff - droppin' ryhmes on drums
jamie j morgan - walk on the wild side
elektra - destiny
big daddy kane - ain't no stoppin'
mr fingers - what about this love
technotronic - get up
roxanne shante - independant woman
beats international - dub be good to me
cherrelle & alexander o'neal - saturday love
janet jackson - come back to me
prince & kim basinger - scandalous part1
public enemy - welcome to the terrordome
tribal house - motherland (africa)
lisa standfield - live together
orbital - chime
lil louis - i called you
rob base & dj e-z-rock - turn it out

Those two shows really reignited my passion for new music.

Then the mid 90s saw so many fabulous bands, Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Kulashaker along with the Bristol bands, Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Roni Size, all fabulous.

Then in 2002 6music started a kind of 24/7 John Peel station.

Since then I have been inspired by many bands, Elbow, PJ Harvey, Unthanks, Nick Cave.

Oh, and the Fall. Of course.

I came to love music as a 7 year old listening to the Beatles. Later, I was lucky to get to see Jimi Hendrix, Bowie, the Who, Stone the Crows and Free, to name but a few.

The older you are, the longer you’ve had as an adult to get to like more recent music, so, just off the top of my head ….

Undertones
REM
Rancid
Snow Patrol
Natalie Merchant
Eagles of Death Metal
Weezer
Hives
UB40
Dropkick Murphys
Van Morrison
Specials

I still love live music, and if I had to choose between music and football, it would have to be music!

Music stopped for me in the mid-eighties.
It took some time for me to check back in and Blur and Oasis. In lockdown I found Primal Scream.
80s has a big resurgence now but a band I ignored but came to love was Duran Duran (wasn't interested in talentless 'pretty boys' and turned down the chance to see them at Poole Arts Centre before they became big)

Found Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin later...

The Beatles and Bob Dylan did some pretty brilliantly mind blowing lyrics...and tbh also some mind blowing rubbish.....that's a perfect scenario for Critics.

That's a brilliant, thought provoking post...I think some of us can identify with.

Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius XM is always on when I'm in the car. He and his radio hosts always seem to find something that is "wicked cool" (that's the name of his label) that I've never heard before, even if it is from 30+ years ago, and it spawns an interest in an artist. "Passionate"? Maybe not, but good enough to add some material to my play list.

Other thing, which I didn't realize until I came on here and read posts like this and on NEJ, is how different my musical exposure was to many of you fellows. Certainly the big names are the same, but I regularly see acts mentioned on here as important that never broke over here.

And, of course, being Canadian and originally Quebecois, that influenced a whole different genre.

In the end, though, I agree that the oldies are still the best, which is why I try to see the dinosaurs when they are touring because we know those days are running out. I understand that Billy Joel was excellent at the Hyde Park concerts.

Music stopped for me in the mid-eighties.
It took some time for me to check back in and Blur and Oasis. In lockdown I found Primal Scream.
80s has a big resurgence now but a band I ignored but came to love was Duran Duran (wasn't interested in talentless 'pretty boys' and turned down the chance to see them at Poole Arts Centre before they became big)

Found Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin later...

You should give Greta van Fleet a listen if you like Zeppelin

I guess for most of us, music was at its most exciting while we were growing up

I know I’m not a normal old fart
but I just don’t listen to old music (apart from the very occasional run out for Troutmask Replica or Led Zep 1)
I just love finding new music - and there is so much good new stuff out there.
My most listened to at the moment are
Fred again..
Wrest
The Luca State
Fireworks
Greta van Fleet
Lustre

At 43, 8/9 years ago or so, I found the love of my life (musically speaking). Finnish melodic death metal. Specifically, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum and Tuomas Saukkonen's Wolfheart. These bands have brought so much joy and mental wellbeing to me. If you know where to look, people are producing some truly amazing stuff in a huge range of styles and tastes.

Have gone through many a musical metamorphosis from punk and ska to soul and jazz.
Love listening to the whole TSOP music but recently have listened a lot to
Dirty Loops ( for my two penneth the best bass player I’ve heard.(Henrik Linder) Up there and beyond Jako Pistorius)
Tower of Power
Vulfpeck
Cory Wong and the Wongnotes
Sierra Hull

And I don’t mind admitting to loving a bit of Yacht Rock of a summer’s evening

You should give Greta van Fleet a listen if you like Zeppelin
I have followed Greta van Fleet from the beginning! New album out soon...
Missed them by one day in Barcelona on their first European tour. My ambition is to go the U.S. and see them live.

;