Non - Boris Johnson

The alarm bells are ringing for voters and non voters who are impacted by the performance of the government.

The alarm bells are silent for those who selected Boris to lead the Conservative party as he will be replaced by someone more electable.

The alarm bells have been loud and clear for those who vote for policy over personality.

Starmer was the popular choice of those who wish Labour well but would never vote for them. He was touted as being electable.

Who will replace Boris do you think? Gove? Please not Raab or Priti Patel. I'm pretty much as centre as you get. Used to be Lib Dem until they voted to overturn the referendum result without even having another referendum. That was plain wrong and I lost respect for them even though I voted to remain in the EU in the referendum. Basically when any one party is in power for too long, things start to go very wrong. Labour and the expenses scandal, and the debt they built up. The Tories just seem utterly corrupt. You know as soon as they deny something or say that something won't happen that the opposite must be true. We need change, balance and more accountability. Yes, Starmer comes across as boring and it's hard to see who he really is as he responds to societal pressure and pressure from within his own party a lot, but I'd rather have him than any of this bunch. I think he has a bit more integrity, which is important. Time for a change. Hung parliament would be my preference. More checks and balances. More restrictions on second job hours. Believing that your government might just be telling the truth would be a start.

That was brought up by Blackford after the questions had finished.

Thought there would have been more questions from his own benches re the Downing Street party, but it could be there is an order already for questions today, hence nothing mentioned, except from one who mentioned a diversionary tactic re Plan B.

BBC

Blackford claims another party took place in PM's flat

After PMQs, SNP leader Ian Blackford raises a point of order and says people feel "revulsion" about the reports of lockdown breaches at Downing Street.

He says there are "authoritative reports" of three different Downing Street parties during lockdown, including one in the PM's flat itself.

Blackford asks what opposition parties have to do to "make sure the prime minister takes responsibility for his breach of trust" and again calls for the PM to resign.

The Speaker says it is not for him to rule on something that may have taken place in Downing Street.

Last edited:
Who will replace Boris do you think? Gove? Please not Raab or Priti Patel. I'm pretty much as centre as you get. Used to be Lib Dem until they voted to overturn the referendum result without even having another referendum. That was plain wrong and I lost respect for them even though I voted to remain in EU in the referendum. Basically when any one party is in power for too long, things start to go very wrong. Labour and the expenses scandal, and the debt they built up. The Tories just seem utterly corrupt. You know as soon as they deny something or say that something won't happen that the opposite must be true. We need change, balance and more accountability. Yes, Starmer comes across as boring and it's hard to see who he really is as he responds to societal pressure and pressure from within his own party a lot, but I'd rather have him than any of this bunch. I think he has a bit more integrity, which is important. Time for a change. Hung parliament would be my preference. More checks and balances. More restrictions on second job hours. Believing that your government might just be telling the truth would be a start.
That covers my predicament. "Lost respect". "Scandals". "Corrupt". You define the Republican party in the US and our provincial Conservatives to a T.

"Responds to social pressure". Please step forward Mr. Biden and Mr. Trudeau. Throw in "ineffective" if you will.

I define myself as fiscal conservative and centrist socially. I see no one in any major North American party - federal either side of the border or provincial - that stands for me.

I agree with all your points about change, checks and balances and truth. Unfortunately, media on both sides just fan the flames and truth is a "casualty of war". The first goal of any politician is to get re-elected. Good governance is a distant second, if it is on the card at all.

I'm really not political, but I must say, I thought Thatcher was bad, but he is worse. She was just evil, he is a dishonest fool. I think that's worse.

Majority of the public don't believe the government about alleged Christmas party

Less than one in 10 people believe Number 10's claim that no party took place in Downing Street last December during lockdown, writes Sky's deputy political editor Sam Coates.

An Opinium Poll for Sky News found 64% think a party did take place, 9% said it did not take place and 27% did not know.

This suggests the public is sceptical of assurances by Boris Johnson and the Downing Street spokesman over the last week that there was no party on 18 December. Today Mr Johnson said he had asked Cabinet Secretary Simon Case whether he was misled over what happened on 18 December.

The poll was taken yesterday and today and reveals even 55% of Tory voters think there was a party in the face of the denials. A further 65% believe that COVID rules were not followed at the time.

Mr Johnson's integrity has been called into question, according to the poll. Some 63% said Mr Johnson was not telling the truth about what happened, with 12% saying he was. Some 46% of Tory voters do not believe Mr Johnson.
A majority of voters now think that Mr Johnson should resign as prime minister. A total of 53% think he should resign, up five percentage points from a fortnight ago.

Meanwhile, 28% think he should stay in his job, down three percentage points. A further 21% say they don't know. Some 49% of Conservative voters think he should stay in his job, compared with 35% who think he should resign.

No whataboutary intended as the Tories deserve everything coming their way but having the political editor who was busted for exactly the same thing really weakens her argument.

Like healthcare? ;)

Two other Sky journalists were also suspended, one a female for longer.

Sky

The PM's COP26 spokesperson has told reporters she is resigning from her position after footage emerged of her and other senior Number 10 officials joking and laughing about a Downing Street Christmas party last year.

Ms Stratton came out of her house on Wednesday afternoon and tearfully confirmed to reporters she is resigning immediately.

She said she had taken the decision as the leaked video has become a distraction.

Ms Stratton told reporters: “The British people have made immense sacrifices… I now fear my comments have become a distraction in that fight.

"My remarks seemed to make light of the rules. That was never my intention.

"I will regret those remarks for the rest of my days. To all of those who lost loved ones, I am truly sorry - and this afternoon I am offering my resignation to the prime minister.”

It comes a few hours after the PM's official spokesperson confirmed Mr Johnson still had "full confidence" in her.

;