Non - Brexit

Should have been a war-time style coalition, all working for the best interests of the UK, that way we wouldn't have had half our own team trying to score own goals against us and trying to injure our own players during the match.

What May should have done - instead of kow-towing to the ERG and other hard right hyenas and putting in all kinds of "Brexit Means Brexit" red lines in - is recognised the closeness of the vote and got an all-party committee together to help decide the way ahead and get a relatively soft Brexit. She would probably have been able to take the majority of the country with her; I would have found the result easier to accept.

Yes the ERG would have been spitting blood, but just imagine for a moment that Remain had won 52-48. Would anyone have expected the country to dump the pound, adopt the Euro, join the Shengen area and drop all our other opt-outs?

Of course not.

So why should I be happy to endure a very hard/probably no Deal Brexit thats now being forced on us all and will certainly not be in the best interests of our economy and our standing in the world.

What May should have done - instead of kow-towing to the ERG and other hard right hyenas and putting in all kinds of "Brexit Means Brexit" red lines in - is recognised the closeness of the vote and got an all-party committee together to help decide the way ahead and get a relatively soft Brexit. She would probably have been able to take the majority of the country with her; I would have found the result easier to accept.

Yes the ERG would have been spitting blood, but just imagine for a moment that Remain had won 52-48. Would anyone have expected the country to dump the pound, adopt the Euro, join the Shengen area and drop all our other opt-outs?

Of course not.

So why should I be happy to endure a very hard/probably no Deal Brexit thats now being forced on us all and will certainly not be in the best interests of our economy and our standing in the world.
There were indicative votes on all sorts of Brexit options, including the softest option of all EEA EFTA. They were all consistently and clearly voted down by the previous Parliament. The Remainers voted it down as much as the ERG voted it down.

I would prefer a deal Jim, most people would but if it is not possible WTO terms are not the end of the world. many countries trade on those terms. We would then end up negotiating a deal over a longer period. maybe I am just not the panicking sort.!!!!!!!!
Its taken a minimum of 4+ years with additional extra time to reach an agreement on No Deal, using the management by hindsight approach the best option would have been No Deal as soon as the result was in and the country would be 4 years closer to the new deals.

Sometimes panic can be a sensible reaction as long as there is then a cunning plan to follow.

Both Cameron and May would have been nowhere near getting any sort of decent deal. At the moment it would appear that we are at least holding out for something (not necessarily a deal) that may be acceptable to many.

Its taken a minimum of 4+ years with additional extra time to reach an agreement on No Deal, using the management by hindsight approach the best option would have been No Deal as soon as the result was in and the country would be 4 years closer to the new deals.

Sometimes panic can be a sensible reaction as long as there is then a cunning plan to follow.

can't argue with that !

Of course not.

May put forward her soft Brexit to parliamentary vote god knows how many times. Labour rejected it, Tories rejected it, Lib Dems etc etc etc. They all rejected it. Hard line leavers because it was not hard enough and Remainers in all parties because they thought they could still overturn the previous referendum. May never wanted Brexit, she never tried for a hard Brexit, she was a hapless negotiator. Its just a pity that we had to go through her "leadership" to end up where we are now. But the point is that remainers could have had a soft Brexit if they had voted for her deal in Parliament.

Yeah and in hindsight remain MPs should have voted for it if they wanted a softer brexit. Shot themselves in the foot there didn't they.
Regardless, she got a deal. Johnson has been telling us for months how easy it will be to get a deal. Oven ready in fact. If he comes back without a deal he should do the honourable thing and resign.

Reactions: drd

Of course not.

You talk the most sense Jim. Bear in mind the vote was also proved to be flawed and probably won illegally.

Regardless, she got a deal. Johnson has been telling us for months how easy it will be to get a deal. Oven ready in fact. If he comes back without a deal he should do the honourable thing and resign.
The UK has a good deal at the moment, 98% as I read it from the Danish press. If there was no chance at getting the other 2% over the line from both sides the talks would of been terminated.

I disagree. I think most of the public would’ve gone for it. It was blocked by the hard right of the Tory party and the dithering remain MPs

In a 48-52 referendum a compromise was clearly needed. We absolutely needed to leave but there was no mandate at that point for the hard line leave that many pushed for.

The inability of those in the centre ground to push ahead and back something like May's deal has led us to where we are. Brexiteers who did think it went far enough and remainers who wanted to rejoin would have been free to campaign for those outcomes.

Zzzzz!..There will be a Deal..of some type.
Its bloody obvious by the atmosphere around these people....

If they don't gets one..they'll Extend once again....and don't say they can't.. they can do what bloody hell they like ..if it 'suits' them... New Rules can be made up to ' suit'.
Its how they operate....what they are about!

Obviously payment for performance, no public sector pay freeze for the chosen few.

Dominic Cummings was handed a huge pay rise before he was forced out of Downing Street last month, it has emerged.
The prime minister’s ousted special adviser – who publicly lost a No 10 power struggle – was earning between £95,000 and £100,000 when he was recruited.
But he was being paid between £140,000 to £145,000 when he left, official documents released today show.

The figures show that, in total, the government’s 102 special advisers were paid £9.6m in the financial year ending in March.
Dominic Cummings was handed huge pay rise before he was forced out, new documents show | The Independent

;