Non - Champions League Final

I didn't watch it...just had a peep at the 'stats' at HT and FT on Flashscore.
I knew there would be few goals.
Not starting with Aguero after his 2 goals last week was Lunacy...and of all the players that would have bust a gut for a Man City Euro medal, in his last appearance too, he was the one...the script was written!

I missed the first 10 minutes or so and I wasn't going to bother as it was 'just' a Man City Vs Chelsea match and we get at least 2 per season.
But it was an interesting match played for high stakes. Whilst I dislike Chelsea they were the worthy winners.
Enjoyable, skilful game though with a bit of play acting sometimes when players were knocked off the ball. Felt sorry for Kevin De Bruyne- he'll have a real shiner today.

There was a VAR check (for a hand ball due to a player being hit on the arm from a shot on goal) but that took place whilst play continued and was quickly dismissed.
Ref was pretty good too.

Last edited:
You might be interested in this article about the referee.

Mateu Lahoz, who began refereeing in Spain’s La Liga in 2008, tries to bring his personality into play when he is the man in the middle. “Refereeing is happiness for me,” he explains. “And I think the key to being a referee is to always be yourself. When you referee a match, you're taking charge of many different personalities. You’re part of the game, and I think that part of your job is trying to help the players and coaches. If you can do this and be relaxed, then you'll relax them, you can communicate together, and making decisions can be much easier.”

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/new...is-happiness-porto-final-referee-mateu-lahoz/

For me the best referee I have ever seen must be this man.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...greatest-referee-in-football-history-20210213

Good advert for ESL.

Good advert for replacing pgmol with foreign officials.
He did well to control the game and let it flow but did help there weren't any major issues for VAR to get involved in apart form a handball call.

The goal was clearly onside for example and there weren't any real penalty shouts except for the one above.

Some did ask should Ederson still been booked or even sent off when he handled the ball outside the area before Chelsea scored.

What is the ruling on that?

Kevin De Bruyne has suffered an nasty injury after his clash with the Chelsea defender - again couldthat have gone another way?

Last edited:
Kevin De Bruyne has suffered an nasty injury after his clash with the Chelsea defender - again could that have gone another way?
From the TV coverage that I had, which was a North American feed, they said that the injury was a result of Rudiger's mask. Are they saying that over there? Something seems not quite right about that, although I can't put my finger on it.

He did well to control the game and let it flow but did help there weren't any major issues for VAR to get involved in apart form a handball call.

The goal was clearly onside for example and there weren't any real penalty shouts except for the one above.

Some did ask should Ederson still been booked or even sent off when he handled the ball outside the area before Chelsea scored.

What is the ruling on that?

Kevin De Bruyne has suffered an nasty injury after his clash with the Chelsea defender - again couldthat have gone another way?

Thought the challenge in de Bruyne was disgusting. Leading with shoulder was dangerous and thought should have been a red card.

James showing why he is better than Trent defensively and not bad going forward too.

Thought the challenge in de Bruyne was disgusting. Leading with shoulder was dangerous and thought should have been a red card.

James showing why he is better than Trent defensively and not bad going forward too.
Yep 100%. Horrible challenge. Defo a red

From the TV coverage that I had, which was a North American feed, they said that the injury was a result of Rudiger's mask. Are they saying that over there? Something seems not quite right about that, although I can't put my finger on it.

They said that but to me looked like he intentionally went in with his shoulder

DeBruyne was unlucky with how it caught him and the referee rightly gave him time to see if he was ok or not.

Yet another European or International game where I regularly praised the ref, so what the fcuk went wrong in our leagues? Our refs used to be among the best in the world...

;