Non - Conservative Leadership Race

We don't need characters. We need serious, competent people.

It's like when you are a kid you see adults (and politicians) as sensible and wise. You get to a certain age - for me probably quite late, 30 odd, and realise half of them are complete idiots. Sadly.

Agree, we need a PM who is honest and puts the people of the country best interests first as well as businesses and their own self interests.

Any contenders that fit this bill?

And just in case anyone is interested, there is no such thing as a "country's credit card", ask any decent economist. Any politician claiming there is is being deliberately misleading (or ignorant) to justify austerity.

Agree, we need a PM who is honest and puts the people of the country best interests first as well as businesses and their own self interests.

Any contenders that fit this bill?

Thats it. I don't know everyone in the cabinet, but there has to someone half decent surely?

Thats it. I don't know everyone in the cabinet, but there has to someone half decent surely?
Well as much is it pains me to say it, out of the potential Tory leaders I think Jeremy Hunt (cough) was possibly the closest to a tory with a bit of honesty and integrity. Clearly honesty and integrity are not valued traits for the tory membership faithful, character is far more important.
What I believe we need is a consensus government with strong red and green agendas that only PR would bring.

This Sunak...he is too good to be true ...innit FFS ?...he talks too much...and the Truss puss, although she also brags her way through the debates...she has ' promised ' Action Now.....so the Nation would expect immediate solutions from her ..now then- if she didn't deliver swiftly then she could be legitimately ousted swiftly....with surely a General Election straight after .
If Sunak gets the baton....and plays his ' long game'...then we are in for some Unholy Riots in the streets. ...the Electorate are now at their most impatient in History....seething with anger at the incompetence of Parliament..and the pretentious pirouetting of so - called 'politicians'.

A snap poll of people who watched the debate and there is a "Don't know" option? What about, neither, both, about the same, but "Don't know"?

507 people who grabbed the spoon were asked, when you grabbed the spoon, was it too hot, too cold or don't know.

A snap poll of people who watched the debate and there is a "Don't know" option? What about, neither, both, about the same, but "Don't know"?

507 people who grabbed the spoon were asked, when you grabbed the spoon, was it too hot, too cold or don't know.
well if it was the spoon in the porridge in the three bears then it could have been just right.

Is it just me or was that ‘debate’ last night a criminal waste of BBC licencepayers money. They were preaching to a maximum 160,000 people, most of whom loath the BBC anyway and probably wouldn’t know which number it was on their tv. Be interested to see the viewing figures.

Not sure what happened at the debate studio, but Liz Truss was talking and there was a sudden crash and she looked worried and moved forward to help.

Immediately the cameras went off air.

From Sky

Live feed cuts as crash heard while Truss is speaking

As Liz Truss answers a question on Russia, a crash is heard and she covers her mouth, saying "oh my God".

It sounds as if something has fallen over in the studio, although it's not clear what has happened.

The feed has cut for now and a screen has appeared apologising for the disruption to the programme.

We'll give you more updates as we get them.

TalkTV debate hosted by Kate McCann has been the best debate so far, better controlled by the host and each candidate has been allowed to answer the question without interruption.

BBC

Kate McCann fainted.

BREAKING

Presenter 'fainted and collapsed'

A well informed source has told the BBC the Tory debate crashed off air because presenter Kate McCann is understood to have fainted and collapsed. She was presenting alone, after Harry Cole pulled out with Covid.

We'll bring you more when we have it.

Last edited:
What a character the current PM is and has such interesting friends

The validity of the petition to add Boris Johnson to the Conservative leadership ballot has been brought into question after it emerged that anyone can sign it, even if they are not Tory party members.

In an interview with The Telegraph, former Tory treasurer Lord Cruddas, who Mr Johnson recommended for a peerage, claimed that the outgoing Prime Minister “wants to fight the next general election as leader of the Conservative Party”.

He added that Mr Johnson had told him he was “enjoying following” the petition and “rooting for your campaign to succeed”.
Lord Cruddas, who first sat in the upper chamber in February 2021, made his fortune after founding online trading company CMC Markets. The billionaire has donated more than £3 million to the Conservatives since 2010.

At the time of his appointment, Downing Street took the unusual step of publishing an open letter from Mr Johnson to Paul Bew, the chair of the Lords Appointments Commission, explaining why he was putting Cruddas in the upper house without its approval.
Days after being made becoming a peer, Lord Cruddas donated £500,000 to the Conservative Party, the largest cash sum the tycoon had ever gifted to the party.

Lord Cruddas, Mr Campbell Bannerman and Conservative Post were contacted for comment but did not respond.

Conservative leadership: Petition to get Boris Johnson on Tory ballot can be signed by non-party members (msn.com)

;