Non. Don't tell him, Pike.

I never knew there was a home guard out of Throop - any chance you know any details/history?
My father said they would muster down at the farmhouse at Throop, near the mill and the officer in charge would ride around on a big horse. I don't know if he was referring to Hurn Farm. I have tried to seek out information on the local Home guard but to date have not been very successful. Like many of us, I wish I had discussed this period in his life more with him.

Dad lived in Winton so I do wonder if that's where the main unit was based and his small platoon/squad were sent to Throop area to guard the mill.?

Last edited:
My father said they would muster down at the farmhouse at Throop, near the mill and the officer in charge would ride around on a big horse. I don't know if he was referring to Hurn Farm. I have tried to seek out information on the local Home guard but to date have not been very successful. Like many of us, I wish I had discussed this period in his life more with him.
This might interest you if you haven’t already read it.

In Bournemouth 1,500 men registered with the home guard in May 1940.

It also mentions Harry Mears who owned a number of cinemas in the area and was Mayor of Bournemouth.

For information on the Second World War go to page 12.

Last edited:

Dad lived in Winton so I do wonder if that's where the main unit was based and his small platoon/squad were sent to Throop area to guard the mill.?
Thanks for that. I know the area well but never knew this.

;