Non - FUND THE NHS!!

I've no idea about Canada but from your description it sounds like here. The current situation was entirely foreseeable as this thread shows but nothing was done about it.

We didn't have the housing, NHS, schools etc. to cope with the massive post war boom in population back then but that generation just got on and sorted it. Getting on and doing that now would be the solution but unfortunately we have a load of Nimbys who seem determined to pull the ladder up after them.
Based on?

If we're all unhealthy, then that will save the taxpayer money rather than cost the taxpayer. Dementia is the biggest health expense at present, and dementia is suffered very much more by thin, healthy people than by fat, unhealthy people. Why? Because the biggest causative factor in dementia is growing old; and fat people die younger so are less likely to get it.

Fat people, a recent survey says, cost £600 per year to the NHS more than thin people. I don't doubt it. But that's only when they're alive. When the fat person has died and is costing nothing, the thin person lives on drawing pensions, nursing home fees, and continued medical expenses. Fact of life - we will all die, and most of us will die of something expensive. A healthy lifestyle just delays it.
A summary of the reason why knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing fails to deliver.

Who funded a survey to provide information that should be readily available to NHS managers and leaders ?

What value are fat people to their family and society, do they make no contribution to the lives of their family and friends and no support to voluntary organisations?

The ultimate conclusion that if only there was no one alive the NHS would be low cost. Unfortunately the reality is that the point of the NHS is to improve the mental and physical health of human beings.

I've no idea about Canada but from your description it sounds like here. The current situation was entirely foreseeable as this thread shows but nothing was done about it.

We didn't have the housing, NHS, schools etc. to cope with the massive post war boom in population back then but that generation just got on and sorted it. Getting on and doing that now would be the solution but unfortunately we have a load of Nimbys who seem determined to pull the ladder up after them.
I think we got to where we are from two very different places. Especially after the war with the loss of UK lives, and then the uncoupling of British holdings around the world. For us, it was more like the US boom, building roads highways airports suburbs etc, considering our population is about 1/2 of yours but our land masse is similar to Australia.

I love the concept of NIMBY as if it is a bad thing. I have nurtured my back yard (i.e. Canada) for 70 years, and my physical back yard (this house) for 30 years. I won't have some useless feckless politician telling me what should happen to it.

Yet 'having got in with it' , it was all pretty shit. Uncontrolled planning and building of vast cheap housing that led to several generations of social problems from which the country are still recovering. To put it into context the population increased by 5 million between 1950 -70. In the last 20 years we've doubled that.

Yet 'having got in with it' , it was all pretty shit. Uncontrolled planning and building of vast cheap housing that led to several generations of social problems from which the country are still recovering. To put it into context the population increased by 5 million between 1950 -70. In the last 20 years we've doubled that.

It certainly wasn't perfect but at least they built houses and infrastructure. More than can be said for recent years. Population growth rates aren't much different now but instead of sorting it out we just have politicians pointing the finger at immigrants.

There's over 10m foreign born people in this country most of which are under 65 and helping to pay for the financial burden of the baby boomer generation - that's why successive governments has encouraged them to come despite the rhetoric they come out with. Where would we be if we didn't have these extra taxpayers?

It's true to say though that at some point this group of people are going to need care and my generation isn't particularly doing anything to provide for this either.

;