Non Hampshire cricket

Is your pitch still under water ?
A lot was done to build flood defences around what is one the most picturesque cricket grounds in the country but unfortunately the River Severn runs along side the cricket pitch and the horse racing track as it meanders it's way through the centre of the city and still causes issues to both.

A lot was done to build flood defences around what is one the most picturesque cricket grounds in the country but unfortunately the River Severn runs along side the cricket pitch and the horse racing track as it meanders it's way through the centre of the city and still causes issues to both.
I remember going to a JPL sunday league game there back in the 70's between Worcs and Hants and it is certainly very close to the river. Stayed at the Premier Inn which is now part of the ground last year. Good city with plenty of good pubs and riverside walks.
Not too much you can do when the cricket ground and racecourse are pretty much part of the flood plain.

I remember going to a JPL sunday league game there back in the 70's between Worcs and Hants and it is certainly very close to the river. Stayed at the Premier Inn which is now part of the ground last year. Good city with plenty of good pubs and riverside walks.
Not too much you can do when the cricket ground and racecourse are pretty much part of the flood plain.
Before moving down here in the early '90s I was often at New Rd. It's changed a lot over the years but still managed to keep it's character especially with the view of the Cathedral. The Premier Inn was a bone of contention, but like you I've stayed there and it enjoyed catching the end of a county game with a beer in the bar that overlooks the pitch. The racecourse is a jumps course and always fell foul to the weather but was a good day out in the Tatts. Worcester is a city of real history and has some fantastic characterful and historic buildings and pubs, especially around the City walls area. Well worth a visit and a couple.of nights stay. Also on the verge of the Malvern Hills , which is where I grew up, which are well worth a walk if your feeling energetic!! On a side note I grew up following Worcester City, then in the Beazer Homes Premier league, before moving here and catching the AfCB bug. Now playing in the Hellenic league at tier 9 they've just won the league and are playing their second leg of the FA Vase semi final today with a 1 goal advantage. Good luck to the City and if they win I'll see them at Wembley.

Before moving down here in the early '90s I was often at New Rd. It's changed a lot over the years but still managed to keep it's character especially with the view of the Cathedral. The Premier Inn was a bone of contention, but like you I've stayed there and it enjoyed catching the end of a county game with a beer in the bar that overlooks the pitch. The racecourse is a jumps course and always fell foul to the weather but was a good day out in the Tatts. Worcester is a city of real history and has some fantastic characterful and historic buildings and pubs, especially around the City walls area. Well worth a visit and a couple.of nights stay. Also on the verge of the Malvern Hills , which is where I grew up, which are well worth a walk if your feeling energetic!! On a side note I grew up following Worcester City, then in the Beazer Homes Premier league, before moving here and catching the AfCB bug. Now playing in the Hellenic league at tier 9 they've just won the league and are playing their second leg of the FA Vase semi final today with a 1 goal advantage. Good luck to the City and if they win I'll see them at Wembley.

only been there once for a b&h quarter final early nineties
hants won (I think)
there was a medical emergency in the pavilion stand

Interesting debate this, the Kookabura Vs Dukes ball. I’ve watched a few of the broadcasts over the opening couple of weekends and it’s definitely a case of the ball not beating the bat very often with the Kookabura.

Last season it was used later in the year and the spinners really came out on top, particularly Liam Dawson.

The commentators have widely bemoaned it, Jimmy Anderson moaned too. As the Duke suits the seamers and medium quicks.

Ultimately it seems to come down to the Dukes is better for the County Championship as a tournament, but the Kookabura is better if you want to develop test cricketers.

;