Non - "I'll never forget where I was when ...."

No he was very generational. His film is brilliant in showing that.
My grandfather had a story about Tom Jones, was in a motorway services in the 60s, if they had such things then, when he walked in with his entourage, he had no idea who he was.
Apparently he forced someone to pay his bill, another one he wasn't a fan of. Was a luton town supporter though went to the 59 cup final. Think he'd be shocked how luton is now.

I was in the States when 9/11 happened. Nowhere near NC but it was crazy as things unfolded , made scarier by the mobile networks going down. In the days that followed it was interesting to watch the American people's reactions to terrorism on their shores, something that hadn't touched their lives before whereas it was always in the background for us Brits. I was in a bar a couple of nights later and Blair was on the TV screens getting a standing ovation by a couple of hundred Americans, the whole place erupted when he finished.

Probably 9/11 is the standout memory for me. I was actually in a meeting with the Chief Exec of British Airways and two other BA directors at Heathrow when someone entered the room and whispered in the Chief Exec's ear. He immediately stood and apologised that he had to leave, followed quickly by his two colleagues.

When I got back to my office I couldn't understand why there was nobody on the first two floors. When I got to the top floor everyone was sat around a large tv/presentation screen watching the aftermath of 9/11. It was only then I realised what had happened and why the meeting with BA had come to an abrupt halt.

Kennedy’s Assassination - walking back from Cubs in Palmerston Rd, Boscombe with my Dad and a passerby telling us.
Elvis - having a drink in The Grange.
9/11 - walking past restaurants in Spain who all seemed to be showing the same movie.
Diana - news flash on the radio driving to airport to pick up friends.
The Queen - with my grandson opening his birthday presents.

Falklands War. I recall when news reached us HMS Sheffield had been hit in 82. I had a small hand held tranny (this forum tried to change tranny to transgender- jesus wept :censored:) Me and a few mates were walking up to the chippy at the top of Dale Road in Oakdale thinking wtf ? (I was actually in the process of trying to join).

9/11 I was at home watching in bewilderment, saw both Towers come down.

Moon landings- was an Army Brat in Singapore but I recall there was loads of excitement with finger pointing at the moon.

Watching AFCB vs Watford Jan 2015 in a pub in Nairobi, leading 1-0 at HT
decided to watch the 2nd half at home. made a right turn and the police decided to make money out of me for making an illegal u turn, told them to stuff it and ended up in prison all night. the buggers wouldn't let me know the score. at 8 in the morning i found out from the judge that we had won 2-0, he let me off without a fine.
9/11, about 1-2 pm i was rushing out of work to play golf when I heard on the Swedish radio news about a plane crash, later that night when I got home i got the full story. no wonder the course was empty that day.
I was in England when Lady Di was killed, late night listening to music after the pubs had closed we were having whiskey and coffee when the news came on the BBC.

Watching AFCB vs Watford Jan 2015 in a pub in Nairobi, leading 1-0 at HT
decided to watch the 2nd half at home. made a right turn and the police decided to make money out of me for making an illegal u turn, told them to stuff it and ended up in prison all night. the buggers wouldn't let me know the score. at 8 in the morning i found out from the judge that we had won 2-0, he let me off without a fine.
9/11, about 1-2 pm i was rushing out of work to play golf when I heard on the Swedish radio news about a plane crash, later that night when I got home i got the full story. no wonder the course was empty that day.
I was in England when Lady Di was killed, late night listening to music after the pubs had closed we were having whiskey and coffee when the news came on the BBC.
I was on the golf course as well on 9/11. Reached the 8th hole and could hear snippets of a play co-ordinator telling the group in front of us "towers, the pentagon, planes ...." Sounded a bit like a joke ..... "a priest, a minister and a rabbi are in a bar ....". Then found out the magnitude. A group of Americans were due to play the course that afternoon, so as you say, the course was empty.

9/11 - Heard right at the end of World at One on Radio 4, " we're getting reports of a light aircraft crashing into the World Trade Centre building in New York". About an hour later the Good Lady put the TV on and called me into the sitting room. Both towers had been hit and the Pentagon, there was still another one flying about but they weren't sure what the target was. Went out to get the kids from school and remember telling them that something had happened in New York and I don't know how but the world will be different from now on. When they got home, turned off the blanket coverage and watched something like, Bill and Ted or the Blues Brothers.

Diana - the first morning of our first family holiday, in a chalet in Warmwell. Kids put on the tele to watch cartoons, the Good Lady said " My God, she's dead". Had to rush home on the Saturday, so she could watch the funeral. Think I spent the day doing Art Attack stuff with the kids.

Elvis - heard it at home, I was in the midst of working 7 days a week for a couple of months. Back in the January, I said to my mates down the pub " There's this Sky train thing starting, let's go to the States". Two of them remembered ( I didn't) so it came as a surprise when they asked me if I had got my passport yet? This was early June, being drunk but not pished I say " Not yet but I'm in".

So a week or 2 after my 21st, we're in New York. This is 3 lads from a village in the New Forest, the furthest I'd ever been was Knebworth to see the 'Stones one year and Pink Floyd the year before. Never been to an airport let alone on an airplane, took advantage of the duty frees and bought my first packet of fags. Anyway, we get on a Greyhound bus to San Francisco ( because although I'd never listened to the Grateful Dead, I'd read a book about them and knew they were from S.F.)

Not much Elvis or other dead people, I hear you say : )

Whilst there, poor old Bing Crosby died. This may not be a big thing to most people but my Dad was a massive Bing fan, we'd been brought up on him and his music ( I've still got over a thousand Bing 78s in the garage, inherited when Dad died). I had to buy and bring home the local Marin County newspapers, where it turned out Bing and the Grateful Dead lived ( not that they ever did any co-labs)

Also, by the time we had hitched hiked to L.A. a lot of Lynryd Skynyrd had died in a plane crash, now that really upset us and 'Skynyrd had been support to the 'Stones at Knebworth.

Strange, I can remember all that ( and more) but I can't remember what I was going to write at the start of this post : )

My earliest memory was The Aberfan Disaster on b&w TV at my Nans house…next was Moon Landing before going to school…then Elvis dying as I saw it on a Newspaper stand outside the newsagents on my way to work…Lennons killing early in the morning as I awoke in my first flat in Bournemouth….jump to Diana’s murder,sorry death while I was on holiday in Italy and heard Italians crying Diana morte to each other…9/11 I saw in a TV shop window as I passed by thinking it was something from a movie…as for The Queen was driving home from work and the upset was tangible and so weird…

on a slightly different level I used to have a recurring dream about Concorde exploding and crashing which proved strangely prophetic…never saw AFCB ever being in The PL though!
I really hope your "dream" about Concorde wasn't the same as mine! I used to have this "vision" that a Concorde would take off, and just keep on going up, becoming more and more vertical, heading towards the outer limits of the earth's atmosphere until it stalled and fell back to earth. Weird, I know, but the damned thing virtually defied the laws of physics. Possibly the greatest creation of the 20th century. Yes, it cost an absolute fortune, but pushed so many boundaries it's beyond belief. Nothing comes close these days, but Concorde took to the air over 50 years ago.

Random ones...

QE2 launch - sat in St Marks junior school hall squinting at a tiny black and white TV.

Gulf War 1 - standing high up on Gibraltar where I worked at the time watching contrails from 8 returning B52s stretching to the horizon on day 1 of the war before any official announcement.

Watching the Thriller video on the day it debuted in Glasshoppers nightclub at the Lansdowne on a big screen. Transfixed.

Hearing London had won the 2012 Olympic bid and punching the air inside my car on the way to work at Yeovilton. Yes!

Queen Elizabeth- stuck on a Cross-country train near Banbury. Someone said the Queen is dead and the whole train went quiet. Stayed quiet the rest of the journey home

;