Non (ish)... North London Forever

What we lack is any kind of singalong anthem (e.g. Blue Moon, YNWA etc.). And while I agree with SDD about that guy faking being poor, there's no doubt it's a catchy and stirring song when sung by 60k fans pre match.

I've no idea what the club are trying to do with our pre match build up but it feels more like a country fete than a football match.

At least the Nonny chant got the fans involved.

I haven't experienced anything worse than our Great Escape band at any football ground , anywhere , ever. The latest of addition of what seems synced backing music to it makes it even worse. Not only do we have to put up with the excruciating pain of listening to them in the stadium they also now play next to the great escape bar like a group of buskers.
The north stand have started to sing over the great escape but I feel a rendition of ' this is embarrassing ' might get the message across. The problem is , of course, the half and half scarf brigade love it. We don't have a 'song' and it's a shame. Minus 17 was probably the last one and my God when everyone joined into that it was spine tingling when sung repeatedly. Surely there's something out there???

Placed a 'non' in the title as it's not directly to do with us...

There's been a lot of discussion over the last season around music that we come out to, Nonny's chant, The Great Escape band and in general just trying to build an identity and atmosphere before/after the game...

We've seen 'Sweet Caroline' come and go (thank god) 'Enter Sandman' and potentially 'Freed from Desire' experimented with and we still seem set on the Great Escape band despite it largely been sung through recently...

Having stumbled across Louis Dunford and his 'The Angel (North London Forever)', I have to say, this is how it should be done...!!! Local lad writing about his local area and the love for Arsenal with an anthemic singalong section... It's also a great song...Bet it sounds great with 60k fans singing along.

I sadly don't have any suggestions but we need to stop trying to force our pre-match build up with some mainstream tripe and get creative... Explore options original and unique to us...

If only we too had a World famous singer/songwriter rock star amongst our ranks... :cool: ;) I'm off to listen to Silent Alarm... :)

Silent alarm is superb, as are their others.

I first got into Bloc Party after coming across them in a video game game 20 odd years ago: Gran Turismo. Bought albums on back of that.

May @Def_II_Royalz could sort something with the ckub ;)

I think you’re all overthinking this.
Why can’t we just have a Wurlitzer organ ascend into the pitch’s centre circle, banging out a rousing rendition of “Oh I do like to be beside the seaside” ?
I think that would fit us to a tee and it also has that little bit of stateside pizazz to keep the new owners happy.
The organist can be clothed or naked.
Vi
Why can’t we just have a Wurlitzer organ ascend into the pitch’s centre circle, banging out a rousing rendition of “Oh I do like to be beside the seaside” ?
I think that would fit us to a tee and it also has that little bit of stateside pizazz to keep the new owners happy.
Job done.
Or....visions of Terry Jones lookalike naked behind the keyboard turning to the NS and saying 'and now it's....Billy Foley's Flying Circus followed by Monty Python theme! A great tune to add suitable lyrics to.
I think this idea has legs....

Job done.

Attachments

• organ-organist.gif
    organ-organist.gif
    986.9 KB · Views: 3
I actually thought the pre-match Hollywood quote video interspersed with clips of our goals followed by Nonny's Red Army was a perfect way to start our games. Then let fans take over. Much more heart and soul of the club than any unconnected song tries to be. The trumpets, the DJ, none of that is necessary and just feels disjointed.

I think some folks are kinda missing the point of this post... It's not like I was asking for North London Forever to all of a sudden be belted out over the speakers at DC... and not by Louis Dunford. I also couldn't really care about whether or not he is claiming to be one thing or another (although being the son of an actress whose career acknowledgements is pretty much Birds of a Feather is hardly putting him in the privileged category). He's hardly 'living the dream' as he's been around for some time and literally has one live album to his name...

The point I was trying to make was that Arsenal have got themselves an anthemic song (seemingly in a very organic way), by a local lad (whoever that might be), about supporting Arsenal, that doesn't base itself around historical songs sung, it isn't a forced atmosphere, IMO it's not cringy, it's theirs... and it's not sung anywhere else.

I just think we could do worse than be a little bit more original than what we are atm... and if we can't, then go back to letting the fans create their own build up until such a day when something else unique happens and sticks... instead of piping brass bands and DJ sets through the speakers...

Last edited:
Placed a 'non' in the title as it's not directly to do with us...

There's been a lot of discussion over the last season around music that we come out to, Nonny's chant, The Great Escape band and in general just trying to build an identity and atmosphere before/after the game...

We've seen 'Sweet Caroline' come and go (thank god) 'Enter Sandman' and potentially 'Freed from Desire' experimented with and we still seem set on the Great Escape band despite it largely been sung through recently...

Having stumbled across Louis Dunford and his 'The Angel (North London Forever)', I have to say, this is how it should be done...!!! Local lad writing about his local area and the love for Arsenal with an anthemic singalong section... It's also a great song...Bet it sounds great with 60k fans singing along.

I sadly don't have any suggestions but we need to stop trying to force our pre-match build up with some mainstream tripe and get creative... Explore options original and unique to us...

If only we too had a World famous singer/songwriter rock star amongst our ranks... :cool: ;) I'm off to listen to Silent Alarm... :)
Keep mashing that play button on your streaming service of choice. I need my £0.000005865!

I haven't experienced anything worse than our Great Escape band at any football ground , anywhere , ever. The latest of addition of what seems synced backing music to it makes it even worse. Not only do we have to put up with the excruciating pain of listening to them in the stadium they also now play next to the great escape bar like a group of buskers.
The north stand have started to sing over the great escape but I feel a rendition of ' this is embarrassing ' might get the message across. The problem is , of course, the half and half scarf brigade love it. We don't have a 'song' and it's a shame. Minus 17 was probably the last one and my God when everyone joined into that it was spine tingling when sung repeatedly. Surely there's something out there???
Going back to the 1960’s onwards, it used to be oggy, oggy, oggy, or give us a B give us a O etc, that came straight from the fans on the terraces.

That is what we had in our football grounds.

Now the build up at our ground with the Great Escape and the razzmatazz that is used in the US sports grounds, is probably not suited to our football crowds in the UK.

We know J F watches this forum from time to time, so maybe as has been suggested we could come up with a an AFCB club song, maybe from a local group or run a competition to come up with one and then have a fans vote on which is the best.

Otherwise leave it to the fans to as before and go back old style with the chanting coming from them in the build up to a game.

Lower the decibels on the pre match music, so they can be heard and those who want to chat with mates etc can do so and actually hear what each other are saying.

Maybe with our new, tenuous, link to Hibs we could have our own rendition of Sunshine on Leith. (If forest can have the Mull of fvcKintyre we can have the Leith and YNWA is Liverpool and Celtic)

My heart’s in Boscombe
My heart’s in Boscombe
Bournemouth
Bournemouth

My heart’s in Boscombe
My heart’s in Boscombe
You saw it, you claimed it
You touched it, you saved it

Forest are crying
Forest are crying
Thank you, thank you
Thank you, thank you

Scummers are crying
Scummers are crying
Your beauty and kindness
Made tears clear my blindness

While I'm worth
My room on this Earth
I will be with you
While the Chief
Puts sunshine on Leith

I'll thank Him
For His work
And your birth
And my birth
Yeah, yeah, yeah

My heart’s in Boscombe
My heart’s in Boscombe
Bournemouth
Bournemouth

My heart’s in Boscombe
My heart’s in Boscombe
You saw it, you claimed it
You touched it, you saved it

While I'm worth
My room on this Earth
I will be with you
While the Chief
Puts sunshine on Leith

I'll thank Him
For His work
And your birth
And my birth
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

The only anthem that I really notice is at Anfield when they sing, "You'll Never Walk Alone" Even watching on TV when that's being pre-kick-off sung is spin-tingling. A connection between Gerry and the Pacemakers and Liverpool. Now if we could come-up with something similar pre our kick-off that would be good. Greg Lake was from Poole and perhaps we could adapt the "I believe in Father Christmas" lyrics to "I believe in AFC Bournemouth" etc, etc.

The only anthem that I really notice is at Anfield when they sing, "You'll Never Walk Alone" Even watching on TV when that's being pre-kick-off sung is spin-tingling. A connection between Gerry and the Pacemakers and Liverpool. Now if we could come-up with something similar pre our kick-off that would be good. Greg Lake was from Poole and perhaps we could adapt the "I believe in Father Christmas" lyrics to "I believe in AFC Bournemouth" etc, etc.
It would probably sound better at Anfield if most of the noise wasn't coming through speakers.

;