Non - Ivan Toney

We signed Callum Wilson from League 1 when he was 22.

The season before he joined us he scored 21 league 1 goals.

Toney is 24.

Toney has scored over 16 league one goals in 2018-19 season.

2019-20 season he scored 25 league 1 goals.

So if you look back and compare with Wilson’s tally before he joined us, not much difference.
That’s fair enough, but how many forwards don’t make the jump to championship let alone prem? I’m not saying he won’t just that talk of 60m at this point is ludicrous.

Every time I’ve switched on Sky Sports News today it’s been someone from Peterborough talking up Toney and that they are convinced they will sell him.

This morning it was Ferguson this evening it’s Barry Fry. 4 Premier League clubs out of a dozen interested. They want £10m but he’ll be worth £60m in 2 years time.

They’re really giving him the big sell.
There skint

Signing for Brentford - deal up to £10m. Missed opportunity?

BRENTFORD AGREE TONEY DEAL

Brentford have agreed a deal with Peterborough to sign striker Ivan Toney. The agreement is believed to be worth up to £10m.

Toney told Sky Sports News earlier this month he wanted to play in the Premier League, but no concrete offers emerged.

At least three other clubs were interested.

No we are no longer in the market for £10m players from L1.

The fact Brentford are in for him would indicate their analytics department believe his statistical output in L1 merits the price. On that basis he could be a good signing for them but just not one I believe we could compete for.

A mighty challenge. Until we sell its hard to gazump a deal like this, but on the other hand no guarantee if we had bid say £12m that he plays ahead of Sam and Dom.

What it does do is help to reinforce values, so Watkins has to go for £20m+, which then benchmarks Callum and Josh at least the £25m+ mark. It also weakens Brentford in relative terms in no different a way than we will be when Callum leaves and Sam steps up..

I doubt we’ll see £10m spent on a striker until we know for sure that Callum is off. Kings departure seems a certainty but Wilson less so at the moment.
Should the unlikely happen and he stay then I would imagine we’ll be looking to spend less than £10m on the 4th forward to compliment Wilson, Surridge and Solanke.
Even if Wilson does go there is a chance it could be as part of a swap with Gayle.
Toney seems a good prospect but given the above I’m not surprised to see us leave that deal alone.

Signing for Brentford - deal up to £10m. Missed opportunity?

BRENTFORD AGREE TONEY DEAL

Brentford have agreed a deal with Peterborough to sign striker Ivan Toney. The agreement is believed to be worth up to £10m.

Toney told Sky Sports News earlier this month he wanted to play in the Premier League, but no concrete offers emerged.

At least three other clubs were interested.

I do think this is a missed opportunity unfortunately. I can see him becoming top scorer in the Championship in the coming season.

Whether we were actually in a position to compete for his signing is a different matter.

Peterborough United striker Ivan Toney has asked his club's supporters to change the words of a chant about him to make it more family friendly.

The chant includes a line about the size of the 23-year-old Englishman's penis. It is similar to one Manchester United fans sang at former striker Romelu Lukaku in 2017.

Another Ollie Watkins? We missed the boat with Watkins - a 100-per-cent Eddie player who can play in midfield or upfront. Surely we must have scouted him at Exeter? And if the £5 million fee for Toney is correct surely we'd be in there bidding?

So who's coming in this week to give some reassurance about our options in midfield and upfront? Intriguing ...

Last edited:

;