Non - James Bond ?

All for a good action/spy film involving a female lead. There's already a few been done by Hollywood, and I'd be interested to see what 'we' could do with it. If the writing is good, the acting decent, with significant British film industry input - then what's not to like? By all means set it within the James Bond/007 MI6 'universe' with the same MI6 support characters from the recent films.

I'd prefer they left the James Bond character alone though, rather than crowbar a 'James is just a code-name' backstory onto the female lead. If they don't want to do any more bloke versions, then just put the James Bond character on ice.
Would you change a female literary character for a male one ?
Nope .
So why change a male one just for the sake of it .

Would you change a female literary character for a male one ?
Nope .
So why change a male one just for the sake of it .

Why not? You can set Shakespeare on Mars if you want. If it's well written then what's the problem? Producing a new show with a different storyline doesn't stop you from preferring and watching the old ones.

Why not? You can set Shakespeare on Mars if you want. If it's well written then what's the problem? Producing a new show with a different storyline doesn't stop you from preferring and watching the old ones.
Baz Luhrman set Romeo and Juliet in modern day Verona with guns and cars all to the original words. Worked for me.

F#ck me....ive just realised. ...Old is the New Young....and vicky verky....cus If someone like me is able to accept new ideas about Bond all of a sudden...and some younger posters are stuck in Old Bond straightjackets...Yo!
Im off down town to crack a few moves...man I dont walk no more...ah jes rolls... innit bruvs ..

Yes - but Juliet wasn't a bloke in a dress - or trans, or gender fluid or binary.

Same with West Side Story - the basic story hasn't changed

These are new stories. Ian Fleming hasn't written many recently. Plenty of stories get rewritten for production, whole endings changed, characters merged, set in different countries, etc.

It's the creative industry you can write and make what you want.

Not a big JB fan as such but for me....he was created as a male character and should stay that way. By all means give him a badass female partner but I don't think it would be right to change his sex. Something like Dr Who is different, being an alien who could be anything!

Not a big JB fan as such but for me....he was created as a male character and should stay that way. By all means give him a badass female partner but I don't think it would be right to change his sex. Something like Dr Who is different, being an alien who could be anything!

I can see this point of view and agree that it is probably more appropriate for Dr Who than JB but in my view it depends how well it's written and performed.

Funnily enough sometimes they just work without changing the script at all - Morgan Freeman's character Red in Shawshank Redemption is called Red in the book because he's a white Irish guy with red hair. They didn't even change the script. Originally the clueless kid asks him why he's called Red and when he says "maybe it's because I'm Irish" it's funny because it's obvious why they call him red (his hair). Freeman says the same line and it's funny because it's a non sequitur - the bloke doesn't look or sound Irish.

I can see this point of view and agree that it is probably more appropriate for Dr Who than JB but in my view it depends how well it's written and performed.

Funnily enough sometimes they just work without changing the script at all - Morgan Freeman's character Red in Shawshank Redemption is called Red in the book because he's a white Irish guy with red hair. They didn't even change the script. Originally the clueless kid asks him why he's called Red and when he says "maybe it's because I'm Irish" it's funny because it's obvious why they call him red (his hair). Freeman says the same line and it's funny because it's a non sequitur - the bloke doesn't look or sound Irish.

Not sure it would have worked if red was played by Helen Mirren though ;)

These are new stories. Ian Fleming hasn't written many recently. Plenty of stories get rewritten for production, whole endings changed, characters merged, set in different countries, etc.

It's the creative industry you can write and make what you want.
Of course .
But surely the character has to be different?
Will she treat all men with contempt or will they all be portrayed as drippy and useless ?

;