Non - 'Mental Health culture gone too far...'

Many things well said here MB. I think the mindfulness thing has a lot of merit too which is really Buddhism based which itself gives a lot of help in how to manage and improve mental health in all kinds of situations. Not easy to practice but then the simple things never are. A lot of good authors out there, but I found Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabbat-Zin particularly relevant/practical.

Just as an aside- I was at Stanpit yesterday morning shortly after dawn, ostensibly to photograph Wheatear dropping through on their migration North, but in that post-dawn golden light and birdsong all around I thought it was a mindfulness treasure trove.

Funny enough mate after some googling around, I read 2 of his books when the mindfulness movement piqued my interest 10 years back.

Kept up the routine for about a month :D really should revisit it now, as a fair bit of stress at present.

I also buy into the stoicism thing. Basically at high level, you can't always 'control' external events, but you can somewhat condition yourself to how you react to them.

Funny enough mate after some googling around, I read 2 of his books when the mindfulness movement piqued my interest 10 years back.

Kept up the routine for about a month :D really should revisit it now, as a fair bit of stress at present.

I also buy into the stoicism thing. Basically at high level, you can't always 'control' external events, but you can somewhat condition yourself to how you react to them.
Absolutely. And the mindfulness thing- it’s always been there hasn’t it, and always will be, whether it’s in fashion or not. They say every journey begins with one step and it’s true really. Take one step then think about the next one. God I’m sounding like Scott Parker! Time for a cup of tea!

Meditations: Marcus Aurelius is an interesting read, and a good introduction to Stoicism
Sam Harris has a refreshing take on Meditation and the illusion of self

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (R Pirsig) is a classic

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

great quote

Absolutely. And the mindfulness thing- it’s always been there hasn’t it, and always will be, whether it’s in fashion or not. They say every journey begins with one step and it’s true really. Take one step then think about the next one. God I’m sounding like Scott Parker! Time for a cup of tea!

Yes, it has mate. Sort of irony is the people who feel they have no time/boring to 'just lay there' and try to just be ... as in no planning work, dinner etc are apparently the people who'd benefit most from it, iirc.

Imagine its like physical excercise, may not notice/feel tangible difference immediately, but if you make it daily routine each day for months on end, you make incremental progress, and it changes you (in good way) over long term.

Yes, it has mate. Sort of irony is the people who feel they have no time/boring to 'just lay there' and try to just be ... as in no planning work, dinner etc are apparently the people who'd benefit most from it, iirc.

Imagine its like physical excercise, may not notice/feel tangible difference immediately, but if you make it daily routine each day for months on end, you make incremental progress, and it changes you (in good way) over long term.
Again- absolutely mate. As someone once wrote- don't just do something- sit there!

;