Non - Pandemic

I think the key difference (whichever peer reviewed science you look at) the individual has more capacity to provide protection to others than to themselves. Further to that mutuality of caution is much more effective at lowering transmission. This is why it's a social issue and not individual choice.

You will see news on all those things you mentioned when there is a significant change. We had news articles talking about Britain's drinking 30% more during lockdowns for example. That's a 30% increase in a year compared to exponential growth in covid infections. It's daily because it changes significantly and quickly almost daily.

Ultimately whether you look at it from concern for your fellow human being or simply as a waste of your taxes it's sensible to take actions that aren't forcing millions into self isolation or worse hospitals and morgues.
Thanks @Kudos. A considered and articulate response to my post. May not agree with all of your points, but they are well made. Hopefully a lesson for our Scandinavian associate.

You dont agree with any mandated laws then?

Of course there are things that Government mandate, its why we elect them, to make decisions on our behalf.
Of course I agree that laws are mandated in an orderly society. I was replying to your comment that we should be "wary", by saying that wariness should not be mandated.

I just think Why?
This must be a ploy to get more youngsters to be vaccinated, there is no other logical reason. We will have 90% fully vaccinated by the end of August, why do we need a passport for anything.
Its a dreadful decision which will backfire if they don't u-turn early like they have with just about everything else.

I just think Why?
This must be a ploy to get more youngsters to be vaccinated, there is no other logical reason. We will have 90% fully vaccinated by the end of August, why do we need a passport for anything.

There is so much inconsistency.

If double vaccination is the target, why is it that a fully vaccinated British Citizen can't enter the UK without expensive and inconvenient tests and quarantine?

My route to Forest could be: fly to Dublin, take the train to Northern Ireland, then boat over to England, because that is seemingly* possible, even if not in the spirit of the law.

The rule of law depends on compliance of the population. If laws, rules and regulations are not transparent and accepted, there will be mass disobedience and the law will become meaningless.

*Very tempted to give it a go.

I disagree, the briefings last year got a very effective message out to the public - starting with wash hands, keep your distance, cover your face. Those types of messages were followed almost to the letter particularly in the early days and many are still going with them now. What messages haven't the vast majority of the public in general got.
Granted messaging has got a lot more confusing latterly as we open up but I think a lot of that has to do with some, (gov't, scientists, business and joe public) wanting to open up more quickly/slowly than others as well as having conflicting interests.

The short simple messages were understood.

The ever increasing mountain of slides are not understood and add to the confusion over rules/advice/guidelines/ u turns

The patrons of The Covid Hotspot Arms don't understand the role of COBRA, sage, nervtag, jcvi or the government rules on social distancing

Next slide please

I have no problem whatsoever admitting that I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, who you are referring to, what any of this response has to do with me or my post or what point you are attempting to make.

I just think Why?
You know, RH, I just wish I was confident that those of us who are double vaxxed will have freedom to roam by end of August. But .....

If I could get a temporary passport tomorrow that would let me get back to all normal activities, without mask or any other restrictions, immediately, I'd do it. I would want to see that passport have a sunset of 3-4 months, so that we don't get sucked into it becoming a permanent fixture in our lives. Over here, we have a Health Card (provincial issue) that gets scanned every time we get a medical test, or see a doctor/dentist, or get meds. It would be an easy link to put fully vaccinated status (also provincially recorded) on the card, and then use it for scanning purposes when required.

I agree that there is a cohort that is resisting the vaccination, much more in the US than here. But, if I could resume normal activities right now, and not have to wait around for the others, I'd do it. But again, it must have a stated and immutable sunset date.

By the way, tomorrow marks two weeks since my second jab. No need to thank me for keeping everyone else safe!

;