Non - Pandemic

Thats your level of debate, ok. But just to furnish you with the detail, I expect the jab to start lessening the need for testing. I would hope the evidence of success would be seen in the dropping of hospitalisations and deaths.

A one dimensional approach doesn’t get you out of this, there will always be large swaths of people not vaccinated. Most under 50 right now, in a few months it’ll still be all under 18’s.

Still vulnerable people who cannot be vaccinated.

Then those who have been vaccinated but still at risk because the vaccine isn’t 100% affective.

All that because it’s inconvenient to shove a glorified cotton bud up your nose for a few seconds...

A one dimensional approach doesn’t get you out of this, there will always be large swaths of people not vaccinated. Most under 50 right now, in a few months it’ll still be all under 18’s.

Still vulnerable people who cannot be vaccinated.

Then those who have been vaccinated but still at risk because the vaccine isn’t 100% affective.

All that because it’s inconvenient to shove a glorified cotton bud up your nose for a few seconds...
I don't think its any more inconvenient for me than lots of other things, so dont make that assumption about why I object to it.

I agree that there are a lot still to be vaccinated, but feel as that increases, the need for testing should decrease. I disagree also with it as a form of id.

I have absolutely no intention of voluntarily doing these tests unless I think I have symptoms.

They’re really not that bad, I’ve been doing them twice a week for the past 5/6 weeks. I barely even gag and nearly throw up anymore...

I don't think its any more inconvenient for me than lots of other things, so dont make that assumption about why I object to it.

I agree that there are a lot still to be vaccinated, but feel as that increases, the need for testing should decrease. I disagree also with it as a form of id.

Take the covid passports idea out of the equation. What’s wrong with more testing? What’s wrong with picking up asymptomatic carriers (who could well be vaccinated) and preventing the virus being passed on to someone more vulnerable?

They’re really not that bad, I’ve been doing them twice a week for the past 5/6 weeks. I barely even gag and nearly throw up anymore...

Take the covid passports idea out of the equation. What’s wrong with more testing? What’s wrong with picking up asymptomatic carriers (who could well be vaccinated) and preventing the virus being passed on to someone more vulnerable?
Its not the physical process that bothers me, I just am not going to voluntarily do them. I have been vaccinated, thats it as far as I am concerned unless I get symptoms.

At its height, hospitals were overwhelmed and deaths were much higher than usual. Testing then was absolutely necessary, and will be until the evidence shows we are as out of the woods as we can be.

I do think there will be a point though where testing will be disproportionate. We don't tend to test for other infections where we've been innoculated.

ps. Your "no longer gag" comment nearly convinced me it must be fun!

Not the best advert for the test, bit like Macron criticising the AZ jab one minute, then the next trying to persuade his people to get the jab. ;)

ps. Your "no longer gag" comment nearly convinced me it must be fun!

They're not pleasant in the slightest. There’s no getting around that!

Swabbing the back of your throat to the point of nearly throwing up and then shoving it so far up your nose that you tickle your brain isn’t exactly high on my list of priorities... but I just see it as a safety measure. If I don’t have it I’m not passing it on...if I’m not passing it on then someone who hasn’t been vaccinated or is vulnerable and still susceptible to the virus won’t be catching it as a result of me unwillingly passing it on.

If/when virus numbers are as low as the viruses you’re talking about which people are vaccinated against then of course, there won’t be a need for mass testing like this. Unfortunately we’re along way off those kind of numbers.

They're not pleasant in the slightest. There’s no getting around that!

Swabbing the back of your throat to the point of nearly throwing up and then shoving it so far up your nose that you tickle your brain isn’t exactly high on my list of priorities... but I just see it as a safety measure. If I don’t have it I’m not passing it on...if I’m not passing it on then someone who hasn’t been vaccinated or is vulnerable and still susceptible to the virus won’t be catching it as a result of me unwillingly passing it on.

If/when virus numbers are as low as the viruses you’re talking about which people are vaccinated against then of course, there won’t be a need for mass testing like this. Unfortunately we’re along way off those kind of numbers.
Don't you just hate it when a good argument descends into both of us kind of agreeing!? ;-)

Reactions: DJ
Testing is still important as I am sure gathering data on the real world effectiveness of the vaccine is very important. Especially how long, and against what variants

Chile has been inoculating its residents faster than any other country in the Americas. But virus cases there have started to surge because the government eased restrictions on travel, business and schools much too early, experts say.

If certain MP’s had got their way that could be the case here.

As it is the government themselves made mistakes before this latest lockdown and gradual route out of it.

The card that you are given after the jab is easy to copy and forge. A doddle I would think. A text saying you have had a positive test, and therefore have some immunity, can be texted to anyone. Same with a negative test. How is this effective?

It will be interesting to see how people are when they get Covid having been vaccinated, or getting it for a second time.

Looks like the whole vaccine passport, or 'covid status certification' issue has been kicked down the road to beyond May, but seems they do have something in mind for events, but no real details.

Looks like the whole vaccine passport, or 'covid status certification' issue has been kicked down the road to beyond May, but seems they do have something in mind for events, but no real details.
Its being kicked down the road because of the media and public backlash against it. I think it will be quietly dropped, apart from international travel.

The card that you are given after the jab is easy to copy and forge. A doddle I would think. A text saying you have had a positive test, and therefore have some immunity, can be texted to anyone. Same with a negative test. How is this effective?
I suspect it could be made to work if the vaccine passport is one of those square barcode-type thingies (could be on paper or on app) and is machine readable by any smartphone which is given free access to the national database of vaccinations. Along with, of course, photo i.d. to ensure the right person is using the barcode.

Civil liberties? They aren't on the list of "new normal" freedoms, I don't think.

Just showing an app isn't going to work. It would be very easy for someone to design an app that is no more than a screen picture, good enough to fool the average pub doorman who doesn't want to shut anyone out anyway.

I suspect it could be made to work if the vaccine passport is one of those square barcode-type thingies (could be on paper or on app) and is machine readable by any smartphone which is given free access to the national database of vaccinations. Along with, of course, photo i.d. to ensure the right person is using the barcode.

Civil liberties? They aren't on the list of "new normal" freedoms, I don't think.

Just showing an app isn't going to work. It would be very easy for someone to design an app that is no more than a screen picture, good enough to fool the average pub doorman who doesn't want to shut anyone out anyway.
I imagine it would be the same as a railcard app complete with photo and bar code.

The reason I believe for that is because not everyone has had the chance yet to be vaccinated and it will be after that we may hear more.

It’s all about opinions, like was being discussed earlier today re flow tests and testing in general.

I personally see no difference from a certificte/passport/card, than showing identification at banks, building societies etc.

You have railcards, bus passes and driving licences with your identification, so this for me would be no different.

But it’s all about opinions, from the polls it seems a majority are in favour of covid passports or whatever other name they are given, but time will tell after we all have had the vaccine if offered as to what the government does.

The whole jabber about vaccine passports to go to gigs, or the so-called “jab & fly” publicity about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is just a thinly veiled nudge campaign to encourage younger people to come forward for vaccination when called. Government manipulation of the media is all it is.

They have no intention of going through with it, unless as a ploy by Johnson to hang Gove out to dry when the IT flops, as it surely will.

;