Non - Pandemic

The whole jabber about vaccine passports to go to gigs, or the so-called “jab & fly” publicity about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is just a thinly veiled nudge campaign to encourage younger people to come forward for vaccination when called. Government manipulation of the media is all it is.

They have no intention of going through with it, unless as a ploy by Johnson to hang Gove out to dry when the IT flops, as it surely will.

You'll need some sort of proof of vaccine or virus status if you want to fly. It won't just be our government that insists on this either.

UK regulator considers restrictions on the AZ vaccine according to this. There's ways been way too much politics and jingoism around these vaccines that it's very difficult for any layman to get a true sense of the rights and wrongs of any of it. Behind all of it are major pharma companies with billions on the line with as much to gain or lose from badmouthing other vaccines as the politicians have. What a mess.

If it's applying mainly to younger women, and since the contraceptive pill is known to cause blood clots in about 10,000 per million of women who take it for 10 years, I assume that any possible link there has been considered? It's an easy question, but I haven't heard it asked.

As it stands the "normal" incidence of CVST is 5 per million per year. We appear to be getting 1.25 per million so far but in less than a year. I'm sure they are analysing age and risk profiles to see if there is any statistical evidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56644058

The travel industry are complaining but with the current situation in Europe is it right the PM holds off giving a set date for International travel?
Definitely, with the situation changing in many countries - for better or worse - any date given now is very unlikely to be achievable and just opens the government up to more criticism for having given false hope. Better to see what the science says over the next few weeks

UK regulator considers restrictions on the AZ vaccine according to this. There's ways been way too much politics and jingoism around these vaccines that it's very difficult for any layman to get a true sense of the rights and wrongs of any of it. Behind all of it are major pharma companies with billions on the line with as much to gain or lose from badmouthing other vaccines as the politicians have. What a mess.

From what I’ve read, the Oxford vaccine creates such a response in the body, of particularly younger people, that 10 in a million have the reported issue.

Clotting is a reaction the body has to the virus, so if a vaccinated person has such a response solely from the vaccine (that doesn’t contain the virus merely the instructions to fight against it), then the next step I’d say would be to imagine the response that person would have if they caught the virus?

That all said, if it was categorically proven that another vaccine suited other age groups better, then you’d imagine that will be the recommendation. Problem is, where do you draw the line. The vaccine is hardly going to be 100% safe to a 39 year old but deadly to a 40 year old.

....actually it must have been so calm in 2015, before the Referendum stuff.

Just promoted to the PL - All good in the world. *Sighs*

....actually it must have been so calm in 2015, before the Referendum stuff.

Just promoted to the PL - All good in the world. *Sighs*

2015 The year of light

January
Two gunmen belonging to Al-Qaeda's Yemen branch kill 12 people and injure 11 more at the Paris headquarters of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, prompting an anti-terrorism demonstration attended by over a million people and more than 40 world leaders.

April
148 people are killed, the majority students, in a mass shooting at the Garissa University College in Kenya, perpetrated by the militant terrorist organization Al-Shabaab

May. General election
Conservatives won 330 seats and 36.9% of the vote share, giving them a small overall majority of 12 seats and their first outright win for 23 years.

The figure I saw this morning for blood clots was 30 (UK?). The figure for vaccinations was 31,000,000 plus (not all O/AZ though) this gives a rate of one blood clot to more than 1,033,000 jabs. Also only 8 of the 30 are reported as having died. A lot more investigation needs to be done, especially if these affected people had something in common medically. Although this is very sad and can be a worry to some I will be happy to have my second O/AZ on Saturday week.

International travel needs some form of uniform certification whether paper or on a phone. Internally if all the over 50's and most vulnerable groups will have had, or been given, the chance of 2 jabs by the end of June that reduces the risk of hospitalisation or pressure on the NHS. Will the need for a "passport" domestically be practical as the colonies within the UK will all no doubt do their own thing? The Government would be abdicating the checking responsibility to untrained members of the public because a debate between 650 party animals by the Thames does not seem a realistic debate in the public interest.

If he is saying the vaccine won't work, then he needs to say why it won't work.

All the evidence points towards vaccinated people being virtually 100% safe from hospital-level illness, and unvaccinated healthy people under 50 being at least 95% safe from hospital-level illness, so who is going to be filling these hospitals and dying in their thousands this August?

If he is saying the vaccine won't work, then he needs to say why it won't work.

All the evidence points towards vaccinated people being virtually 100% safe from hospital-level illness, and unvaccinated healthy people under 50 being at least 95% safe from hospital-level illness, so who is going to be filling these hospitals and dying in their thousands this August?
They are making it up as they go along. I have not heard a single plausible reason or argument as to why there should be a so called 3rd wave with deaths and hospitalisation up to the same level as January. I am convimced some of the so called SAGE experts just love exerting their influence over politicians and scaring everyone. Some of the modelling that is done to get these figures and projections is just complete crap.
I looked at the model predictions included in the SAGE pontificating and they vary from about 80 deaths per day to 1200 per day. How can you take anything seriously when the range of predicted outcomes from different institutions is so vast.

Last edited:
Prof Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance both give the impression at times that they think they are talking to the great unwashed public who have no idea about anything. I feel that the majority of the public are fully understanding the risks of Covid and we don't need to keep having our eardrums bashed about it. On the other hand I can listen to Prof van Tam without feeling that way. Anyone else feel the same?

;