Non - Pandemic

But much of that is just agreeing to our regular lives being eroded bit by bit and too many meekly accepting it. I have seen far too many people on social media asking what freedoms people are asking for, as we can now leave the door. Staggering they should ask when none of us can do freely what we did before March 2020 still.

I disagree there HAS to be compromises at all because the data shows we could all live quite normally if we were 'allowed' to. I know to many, masks are nothing but to millions, they ARE a big deal on many levels. It's a simple and safe thing to make these a personal choice, not a mandated one and would ease mental stress for so many people.

Working from home - agree with that one.....if it suits those involved.

I think the worry now is that IF things are delayed now, when hardly anyone is dying from this and hospital levels remain below the SAGE best case scenario lines - even with this allegedly super scary Indian variant and with no sign whatsoever that the vaccines will be defeated by any version of the virus and its thousands of variants - they are still thinking of being cautious. And then you wonder if they can't be brave now, will they ever be? We have been way ahead of other countries with vaccinations but are now going to be left behind. We all mocked America last year but look at them now, getting back on with normal life in more places every day and no rise in levels at all.

And 'just another couple of weeks to be sure'....this isn't a simple chill out they can take.....every day we lose huge sums of money....whole industries are worse off....jobs are lost....mental health drops yet again. Every single day, there is a huge amount of damage being caused by this.

I am in Somerset and yesterday, the report for deaths across the whole county was.....wait for it....MINUS ONE DEATH!! Yes. Due to a previous death being incorrectly labelled as with covid and readjusted....we had minus one deaths. So let's keep us locked down just in case the inevitable Bognor Regis super mutant kills us all shall we.

People are getting angrier by the day as the whole country has done everything asked of us with the promise of a normal life at the end of it. When politicians outright lie to us and change the rules later on and you can see no justification whatsoever for doing so.....you do start to wonder if the conspiracy theorists have a point.

I think it’s rather disingenuous to claim people just meekly accept things purely because they hold a different stance to someone who opposes it.

At the end of the day, the UK is only in the position it’s in currently because of the restrictions, if some additional compromises were made last Autumn then perhaps lesser restrictions would have been needed and schools would have stayed open.

The UK, isn’t looking at a situation identical to that now, but why not hold off on a few bits and pieces and get the second doses for 40+ done and protected, which doesn’t just help them but helps push down on the spread? Seems a fair risk verses reward thing when reading the views of those who understand these things far better than I.

I have sympathies to anyone who struggles with all aspects of mask wearing, but for one example, on the tube, no one is interacting with each other on the tube, it’s either usually a complete sweat box or everyone is on their phones, so wearing a mask in a confined space like that at the moment is just common sense. Outside, of course the risks dramatically reduce so tweaks are there to be made.

Mental anguish from wearing a mask? From someone who criticises other for falling for 'scaremongering' about the danger if the virus? Na

It was the sort of excuse people would make when this was really bad and they were walking around stores as if everything was normal .

I doubt there is anyone who hasn’t been out meeting people even inside pubs and cafes.

Bet social distancing is petty non existence and masks only worn inside .

Last edited:
Again I ask Jim. Please regale us with your brilliant method of calculating the death rate associated with the new variant in a largely vaccinated population before enough time has elapsed for people to have actually died of it.

You can't because you are talking absolute shite.
As no one has died the death rate tends to zero surely.

As no one has died the death rate tends to zero surely.

What point is it that you're trying to make? We know it takes weeks from infection to death so how do you calculate the death rate linked to the current strain in a vaccinated population before enough time has passed?

You can't just shrug your shoulders, we need to know this. If the vaccine has worked the current increase in cases isn't an issue. If not they might have to introduce further measures to stop the spread. They can't know this until they have enough data whether you like it or not.

Sky

Government adviser: It'd be 'foolish' and a 'major risk' to go ahead with 21 unlocking

Professor Stephen Reicher is a psychologist on the government's Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours (Spi-B).

He has said there is currently enough evidence to say one of the government's four key tests for its road map out of lockdown has not been met.

Professor Reicher claims the criteria about the current assessment of the risks not being fundamentally changed by new variants of concern is "not upheld" due to the spread of the Indian variant.

"I think by the government's own criteria it's quite clear that it would be foolish to proceed on the data that we've got at the moment. The risk would be very great indeed," he said.

"And of course it's a balance of risks but I think it would be a major risk to go further in opening up.

"Again, I make the point that it is about data not dates, and if you make it too much about the dates then you box yourself into a corner and I think that's what the government has done."

Sorry be he seems to be one of those mad 'experts' who just loves the lockdowns and wants restrictions forever, 'just in case'.

We now know that Sky desperately seek out anyone who will offer doom and gloom. If all the current data is below the SAGE best case scenario with no sign of that changing, how the heck can he claim any of the key tests are not being met?? And if it was really data not dates, we would be back to normal already.

I think it’s rather disingenuous to claim people just meekly accept things purely because they hold a different stance to someone who opposes it.

At the end of the day, the UK is only in the position it’s in currently because of the restrictions, if some additional compromises were made last Autumn then perhaps lesser restrictions would have been needed and schools would have stayed open.

The UK, isn’t looking at a situation identical to that now, but why not hold off on a few bits and pieces and get the second doses for 40+ done and protected, which doesn’t just help them but helps push down on the spread? Seems a fair risk verses reward thing when reading the views of those who understand these things far better than I.

I have sympathies to anyone who struggles with all aspects of mask wearing, but for one example, on the tube, no one is interacting with each other on the tube, it’s either usually a complete sweat box or everyone is on their phones, so wearing a mask in a confined space like that at the moment is just common sense. Outside, of course the risks dramatically reduce so tweaks are there to be made.

I'm not saying anyone in this forum has accepted anything meekly but I have seen evidence of it elsewhere. People have done things like wear masks without any real evidence they make any difference and they still do now, even with such a miniscule risk to them. Many others think we have all our freedoms back already!

There isn't any irrefutable evidence that lockdowns made any real difference last Autumn. Pretty much the whole country could / should have remained at tier one and much less damage would have been caused to the country and its people.

When you mention about holding off a 'few bits and pieces', I am not sure what you would think that would be. But as I have said, holding fire for a couple of weeks would still inflict huge amounts of damage, mentally and economically, so any reasons for delaying should have to be absolutely watertight. So far, we have seen nothing in the public domain to justify delaying. Remember old Hancock saying we could 'cry freedom' as soon as the over 70s were vaccinated!

I still have a feeling that those accepting a delay to this long overdue date, are mainly those who aren't too affected by the restrictions.

I'm not saying anyone in this forum has accepted anything meekly but I have seen evidence of it elsewhere. People have done things like wear masks without any real evidence they make any difference and they still do now, even with such a miniscule risk to them. Many others think we have all our freedoms back already!

There isn't any irrefutable evidence that lockdowns made any real difference last Autumn. Pretty much the whole country could / should have remained at tier one and much less damage would have been caused to the country and its people.

When you mention about holding off a 'few bits and pieces', I am not sure what you would think that would be. But as I have said, holding fire for a couple of weeks would still inflict huge amounts of damage, mentally and economically, so any reasons for delaying should have to be absolutely watertight. So far, we have seen nothing in the public domain to justify delaying. Remember old Hancock saying we could 'cry freedom' as soon as the over 70s were vaccinated!

I still have a feeling that those accepting a delay to this long overdue date, are mainly those who aren't too affected by the restrictions.

People wear masks because it's absolutely no hardship.

The evidence that our lockdowns worked is as clear as the nose on your mask free face. Two weeks after all three lockdowns case rates fell sharply. That's not to say they were necessarily the right thing but they clearly stop the virus spreading when imposed in this country.

I hate wearing a mask. I hate seeing other people wearing them. Gives me a feeling of claustrophobia, also makes your glasses steam up:). I will quite happily burn the feckin things when we are no longer forced to wear them. If I didn't have to wear one by law in shops and pubs etc I wouldn't.

I hate wearing a mask, I feel like someone's holding a pillow over my face. I wear one because I'm told to and I feel that I need to wear one for everyone else's safety as well as my own. Interestingly though how many people don't clean the trolley or basket handles at the supermarkets. Staff don't get to clean them all after every use. Probably good chance of getting the virus from this source.

Normally Saturday number of cases figure for BCP area are low, but today for whatever reason the figure is 23, highest daily figure since March.

Last edited:
What point is it that you're trying to make? We know it takes weeks from infection to death so how do you calculate the death rate linked to the current strain in a vaccinated population before enough time has passed?

You can't just shrug your shoulders, we need to know this. If the vaccine has worked the current increase in cases isn't an issue. If not they might have to introduce further measures to stop the spread. They can't know this until they have enough data whether you like it or not.
The variant doesn't require a change to the method.
If the method isn't delivering the necessary information when it is needed then it needs ditching.
The useful information required from the analysis of the data is whether the vaccine is effective in preventing transmission and where it is not how severe is the virus.

The variant doesn't require a change to the method.
If the method isn't delivering the necessary information when it is needed then it needs ditching.
The useful information required from the analysis of the data is whether the vaccine is effective in preventing transmission and where it is not how severe is the virus.

In an admittedly very crowded field I think this may be your most ridiculous post yet.

The first bit is meaningless. Literally doesn't mean anything, I suspect even you aren't really sure what you're on about at this point.

The second bit is simply wrong. The purpose of the vaccine is to stop the severity not preventing transmission. It is the effect of the vaccine on illness and death that is therefore what needs to be assessed, which takes time no matter what method is used.

Last edited:
I hate wearing a mask. I hate seeing other people wearing them. Gives me a feeling of claustrophobia, also makes your glasses steam up:). I will quite happily burn the feckin things when we are no longer forced to wear them. If I didn't have to wear one by law in shops and pubs etc I wouldn't.

I have my exemption lanyard in action now, so its made a massive difference to my mental health the last two weeks wearing one. I do believe I qualify for one anyway and now I am double jabbed, I will never be any safer to everyone else than I am right now! Get your own lanyard!

I hate wearing a mask, I feel like someone's holding a pillow over my face. I wear one because I'm told to and I feel that I need to wear one for everyone else's safety as well as my own. Interestingly though how many people don't clean the trolley or basket handles at the supermarkets. Staff don't get to clean them all after every use. Probably good chance of getting the virus from this source.

Get an exemption lanyard, quite simple, if it effects mental health in any way, you genuinely qualify to wear one. And no, everywhere now is a very very low risk of getting this.

;