Non - Pandemic

Yep. Wouldn't have been radical to keep face coverings in shops and on public transport for a while longer.

Don't they employ anyone to keep their 'ear on the ground' as such and try and gauge public opinion?
I dare say we'll find out what public opinion really is on the 19th. If shoppers are still more than 50% wearing masks, that will indicate the opinion polls were right.

Thanks for posting. I didn't realise the question was so skewed to give the answer "yes, keep restrictions". Why the preamble, stating as fact that restrictions will be kept in part, when that isn't fact at all? Why not ask the simple question "Do you think wearing masks should be compulsory in shops after 19th July?"?

As I said, we will see what people really think when we see how many actually do wear masks.

The “problem” with mask wearing is that they are generally to protect others not yourself.

So the vast majority might opt to not wear them, but still leave a huge number of people of people physically and potentially mentally uneasy about going out.

So anyone vulnerable, jabbed or not jabbed may well feel that they can no longer visit certain places. Not through fear of just being inconvenienced by wearing a mask but through fear that they are actually taking a risk with theirs or someone close to thems health.

None of this is easy. None of it is proven correct and no one knows one way or the other if long term it’ll be the right thing to do.

I think it's pretty clear that, despite the clamour from the anti-mask minority (as proven by that survey ) and the right wing press, many are still very nervous about the future. The government are effectively saying we've done our bit, here's the freedom you crave and if it all goes wrong now, it's not our fault, it's yours.

I think it's pretty clear that, despite the clamour from the anti-mask minority (as proven by that survey ) and the right wing press, many are still very nervous about the future. The government are effectively saying we've done our bit, here's the freedom you crave and if it all goes wrong now, it's not our fault, it's yours.
Its all about individual responsibility being the new scapegoat.

The press conference was a great example of the pm and advisers passing the buck between themselves.

Next slide please....

1625557748597.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I didn't realise the question was so skewed to give the answer "yes, keep restrictions". Why the preamble, stating as fact that restrictions will be kept in part, when that isn't fact at all? Why not ask the simple question "Do you think wearing masks should be compulsory in shops after 19th July?"?

As I said, we will see what people really think when we see how many actually do wear masks.

Where's the scew?

If Labour as a whole wish masks to remain mandatory at all times on public transport, then it may well be within the gift of people like Mayors Khan and Burnham to do that, within their geographical remits (particularly Khan with TFL). The tube is one place I'd still consider a mask wise anyway.

We might end up with an odd situation where some train/bus operators have different rules on it to others, I guess we'll see how it goes.

I should say that mask wearing doesn't really bother me either way but I can't help think they've messed up here. Employers will still have to comply with health and safety legislation and you'd think this means enforcing mask wearing in premises such as shops, trains, etc. These employers can only reasonably go on government advice as to the safety of not wearing a mask in their workplaces. This type of garbled advice has been typical of this government from the start and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having to back track.

Should we not be surprised if there are further restrictions and even a lockdown come winter time?

Feel this isn’t the last we we have seen of such a situation.

The Government has passed responibility on to the public. This will be accepted and acted upon by responsible people, but ignored by the irresponsible ones who are most likely to catch the virus as a result. Unfortunately this will enable the irresponsible to infect the responsible, because as noted by others, masks and social distancing are there to protect others from you should you be infectious, and not the other way round.

Article about different places and countries where they have done tests on how much wearing a mask helps.

Encouragingly, what that shows is that people who want to wear a mask and choose to carry on doing so, are protecting themselves. There has been speculation that mask wearing only protects other people (which is why, if true, it should perhaps be mandatory). But if those studies are correct and a principal benefit of wearing a mask is that you are protecting yourself, then it doesn't need to be manadtory at all - it's personal choice.

Encouragingly, what that shows is that people who want to wear a mask and choose to carry on doing so, are protecting themselves. There has been speculation that mask wearing only protects other people (which is why, if true, it should perhaps be mandatory). But if those studies are correct and a principal benefit of wearing a mask is that you are protecting yourself, then it doesn't need to be manadtory at all - it's personal choice.

Just shows depending on your bias you can read something and come to a different conclusion.

According to a number of laboratory testsand multiple studies, the main value from wearing face masks is that they block up to 80% of these droplets from escaping into the air. They may also prevent about 50% of droplets from being inhaled too.”

You’d think 50% of the original 20+% of airborne droplets which may be prevented from being inhaled would be considerably less than 50% of the original 100% of airborne droplets.

What is clear is that mask wearing by all, inside, cuts down transmission in big numbers. A haphazard approach is clearly going to be less successful.

;