Non - Pandemic

Just heard, from somebody who should know, the Dorset emergency morgue in Wimborne has just opened.
Locally the virus has ripped through the Wordsworh OP home in Swanage.

upwards of 40 confirmed cases and half the staff not in for work

Dire..

Sorry to hear about the Wordsworth KBG. Its been a care home for as long as I remember, hope the old folk there got jabbed and at least stand a fighting chance.

AstraZeneca's chief executive has said the UK's target of vaccinating the top four priority groups against COVID-19 by mid-February will be possible.

In an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica, Pascal Soriot said: "By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 to 30 million people.

"The prime minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they're already at 6.5 million. So they will get there."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...-for-vaccine-supply-delays-in-europe-12200035

3,000 odd Atheltico Madrid fans were in Liverpool last night. They’re not allowed to attend large gathering of people as Madrid is the epicentre of the virus in Spain.. but going to Anfield was perfectly fine.

Quite surprised by this. 11th March was the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid match with 3,000 visitors from Spain.

But this shows the virus was far more widespread before that date.

Globally we need to get on top of this vaccine push, obviously for us it’s great that the UK have started so well but we need Europe to be playing their part as well unless we’re going to be completely shutting out borders forever.

The Oxford vaccine is so crucial for many countries due to it being not for profit unlike the other vaccines and easier to distribute and administer. This really is a global effort.

Yet we have this kind of thing being threatened.

There was a very detailed interview yesterday with Astra Zeneca’s CEO in La Reppublica, a leading Italian newspaper. In summary, they signed a contract with the EU three months after the UK, so are three months behind. Production is in three phases, and the plant dealing with the initial phase in Belgium is only operating at a third the level of the one in the UK. They had similar glitches here at first and ironed them out so it is just a matter of time.

He said it was nonsense to suggest they were holding vaccines back to sell elsewhere because they are selling them not for profit.

As to contracts, the UK contract stipulates that production in the UK should be for the UK. Vaccines made here can be shipped overseas, but only once UK orders have been satisfied. The contract with the EU sets out numbers of doses to be delivered, but stipulates that AZ has to use best efforts to meet those numbers, not that they have guaranteed to meet them.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2...ca-284349061/?ref=RHTP-BH-I281217261-P2-S3-T1

Further to my post above.

An announcement on mandatory hotel quarantine for some travellers is expected later today, a move that could deal a further blow to an already struggling tourism industry.

Home Secretary Priti Patel will make a statement in parliament about border restrictions, after senior ministers met on Tuesday to discuss whether quarantine should be required for all arrivals or only those from high-risk countries.

Travellers could be expected to pay to isolate in a monitored hotel with testing carried out during their stay, a system already used for international arrivals in Australia and New Zealand.

https://news.sky.com/story/home-sec...hotel-quarantine-for-some-travellers-12200025

I think you’ll find cases started to properly take off long after eat out to help out was finished. More to do with unis going back and students mixing from all over the country, schools, weather getting worse, the list could go on.

Blandford Cherry is just another pathetic apologist for the murderous scum Government. If you take the trouble to read this thread you will see that I predicted Eat Out would cause the second wave at the time it was announced, and you made even half an attempt to look at graphs you will realise the second wave had already taken off by the time the Unis went back.
Also Warwick Univ research says Eat Out drove the second wave.
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/econo...ns_up_by_between_8_and_17_new_research_finds/

This is demonstrable nonsense. There's no clear evidence to show that the eat out scheme caused the second wave, especially as the wave came after colleges, universities and schools went back, which is clearly a bigger impact on spread when you look at the timings of the wave and age categories involved.

refer to my last post please. Look at the graphs, the wave had started before the Unis went back, Tory Scum Boy.

Further to my post above.

An announcement on mandatory hotel quarantine for some travellers is expected later today, a move that could deal a further blow to an already struggling tourism industry.

Home Secretary Priti Patel will make a statement in parliament about border restrictions, after senior ministers met on Tuesday to discuss whether quarantine should be required for all arrivals or only those from high-risk countries.

Travellers could be expected to pay to isolate in a monitored hotel with testing carried out during their stay, a system already used for international arrivals in Australia and New Zealand.

https://news.sky.com/story/home-sec...hotel-quarantine-for-some-travellers-12200025

Yet another example of Horse, Door, Bolted.

Blandford Cherry is just another pathetic apologist for the murderous scum Government. If you take the trouble to read this thread you will see that I predicted Eat Out would cause the second wave at the time it was announced, and you made even half an attempt to look at graphs you will realise the second wave had already taken off by the time the Unis went back.
Also Warwick Univ research says Eat Out drove the second wave.
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/econo...ns_up_by_between_8_and_17_new_research_finds/
You've posted this before. And again, you overstate its own findings. Id also point out the suggested alternatives do nothing to address the issue that the scheme was intended to address.

To the wider point - 50% of our deaths have occurred since late November! You're attributing the cause to a scheme that ended in August? There are plenty of more involved causes and yes failings, that are more worthwhile to discuss than your hobby horse.

refer to my last post please. Look at the graphs, the wave had started before the Unis went back, Tory Scum Boy.

You're utterly clueless, even your own 'evidence' shows that you're talking up the eat out scheme as a cause over much more significant causes such as students returning to school/college/universities.

Why don't you take your own advice and look at the stats? There was an increase across Europe and the UKs increase in September was not anywhere near the worst. It was however the worst in late December, which was months after the scheme you are trying to overstate.

Almost every post you make, football or otherwise, is mindnumbingly terrible.

Politics...so confrontational...a bit like football...you choose your mast..nail your colours on it....and from that point on...
...anything else is filthy verminous garbage!

Youse gotta laugh innit...7.6 + Billion people got plonked on this Planet ...not by choice !

To think their are some plonked plonkers in say Vladivostok or Slough or Woomera or Santiago or fookin Barnsley that have a different opinion than me about anything ...
Cripes...I need to rustle up a 'shitty on' ...track em down and smoke out the dingbats !

Schools to be back on 8th March potentially.

Will that satisfy both teachers and parents who might have have different concerns and priorities?

Schools to be back on 8th March potentially.

Will that satisfy both teachers and parents who might have have different concerns and priorities?

Early March, from a purely scientific led point, if there are no surprises between now and then makes sense in regards to opening primary schools.

I think secondary schools are a completely different debate and cause more concerns.

Boris' complete dismissal of having teachers and other key workers added to the priority list however is a huge error. By all means, bat the suggestion away and say it should be a JCVI decision, but then don't argue so strongly and emotionally why it shouldn't happen. That just puts political pressure on the decision from all sides.

ACTION must come on as sub....in the second half.
Weve had all the Rhetoric...its done in/ tired.

The last crisis of this magnitude was WW2...as we got a short way into that.. just about everyone developed a military mindset...disciplined teamwork across the nation...setting the ground for the next generations....vanquishing the enemy.

The NHS are still holding up the front - line....just.
They need the rest of us to fall in behind them...full on....leisure and education can wait until the jobs done !

;