Non. Stoke city.

You got me visualising that main road we can see is Meyrick? and left Bath Road. Any ideas on year of that photo 1890's - 1910's? my guess broad I know.

I think we're looking down Bath Road towards the KFC

Could be just reminded me of a conversation I had with my nan and how the metropole at the Lansdowne got randomly bombed during the war and as bad luck would have it was full of troops, that visible tower is in that vicinity.

The Metropole was bombed - and full of Canadian troops.

I have heard two different stories - one that the Germans were attempting to bomb the railway lines - and almost succeeded at Pokesdown, but the bombs failed to explode. The other is that it was rumoured that Churchill and other leaders were meeting at a Bournemouth hotel o and the Germans believed it to be the Metropole.

Whether the leaders did meet at a Bournemouth hotel is not known - it has often been rumoured that they met at the World's End pub near Sturminster Marshall or the Fox Inn at Ansty.

Agreed, I was at the Poly 74-77, sad to see Stoke not in the Premier League as it was always a good reason to visit and get a win. Was even offered a lift to Bet 365 in the Beehive pub minibus last time we beat them. Decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Pubs haven’t changed much apart from the ceilings no longer stained with cigarette smoke!

Bloody hell, presume the Poly was just the main Mellor building back then.

Could certainly get your money's worth back in 1990 - £1-£1.30 a pint, 20p pool 10p a song on the juke box. Quite a few pubs where the owners would bring out some sandwiches etc..if you were in there for a while. Proper pubs. *sighs*

Ah yes, the days of bowls of peanuts on the bar.....punters then coming straight from the toilets and dipping in to them :shake:

Agreed, I was at the Poly 74-77, sad to see Stoke not in the Premier League as it was always a good reason to visit and get a win. Was even offered a lift to Bet 365 in the Beehive pub minibus last time we beat them. Decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Pubs haven’t changed much apart from the ceilings no longer stained with cigarette smoke!
My turn to be confrontational. Premier League? 74-77? ;-)

The Metropole was bombed - and full of Canadian troops.

I have heard two different stories - one that the Germans were attempting to bomb the railway lines - and almost succeeded at Pokesdown, but the bombs failed to explode. The other is that it was rumoured that Churchill and other leaders were meeting at a Bournemouth hotel o and the Germans believed it to be the Metropole.

Whether the leaders did meet at a Bournemouth hotel is not known - it has often been rumoured that they met at the World's End pub near Sturminster Marshall or the Fox Inn at Ansty.

Interesting to hear the 2nd scenario, my nan said the railways were their intended target. But a bit like on here or down the pub, probably based on local talk or here say during the time. We armchair general what's best for the country now, while they had bombs dropping round their ears, rationing , blackouts and air raid shelters, loss of family members and friends. Which is what does wind me up when I hear the younger generation slagging them off about the way they voted etc. Time we paid them back and gave them a country where they are respected and can feel safe in again, but how we can ever get that is beyond me.

Bloody hell, presume the Poly was just the main Mellor building back then.

Could certainly get your money's worth back in 1990 - £1-£1.30 a pint, 20p pool 10p a song on the juke box. Quite a few pubs where the owners would bring out some sandwiches etc..if you were in there for a while. Proper pubs. *sighs*

The students union opened in about 1973, North Staffs film theatre and the block immediately beside were open along with the old Ceramics Department block where I spent a lot of time. Can’t remember the price of beer, not that I drank any (cough). Leek Road site hadn’t happened then and we played football on an old golf course at Mere. Travelled to away games in Stoke City’s coach with tables and lamps. Used to impress the competition arriving in it, would take them 30 minutes to realise we were crap!

The students union opened in about 1973, North Staffs film theatre and the block immediately beside were open along with the old Ceramics Department block where I spent a lot of time. Can’t remember the price of beer, not that I drank any (cough). Leek Road site hadn’t happened then and we played football on an old golf course at Mere. Travelled to away games in Stoke City’s coach with tables and lamps. Used to impress the competition arriving in it, would take them 30 minutes to realise we were crap!

Love it. Would love to go back to when you were there and have a nosey round!

;