Non-Top 5 Horror Movies

No particular order:

Hostel Part 2 2007 Blood bath scene truly disturbing

Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1974 the start of my interest in Horror Films.

Wolf Creek 2005 intense, relentless & horrifyingly believable

Saw 2004 Thought provoking, twisted and gruesome but for their own good!

The Silence of the Lambs 1991 outstanding performances from Hopkins & Foster Thriller/Horror IMO.
Wolf creek is a good shout

I completely lost interest in horror movies, once it became apparent that at some point, horror movie producers decided that all they needed to do to make their films "scary" is to throw in a load of ubiquitous jump scares. So an orchestral stab in the middle of a quiet scene or a cymbal clash or something like that. More often than not in a situation which is absolutely non-perilous for the protagonists. That's not very clever, is it ?

Of course, previously there were true masters of the horror genre, both in writing and producing.

These days, in my recent experience, horror movies seem to revolve around nubile T & A ( now, now Snoots ! ) and a whole bunch of jump scares, strewn throughout the movie. They are very formulaic and to me one movie seems as good/bad as any other, so I don't bother watching any of them.

The Exorcist would be my idea of a worthwhile horror movie.

Last edited:
I completely lost interest in horror movies, once it became apparent that at some point, horror movie producers decided that all they needed to do to make their films "scary" is to throw in a load of ubiquitous jump scares. So an orchestral stab in the middle of a quiet scene or a cymbal clash or something like that. More often than not in a situation which is absolutely non-perilous for the protagonists. That's not very clever, is it ?

Of course, previously there were true masters of the horror genre, both in writing and producing.

These days, in my recent experience, horror movies seem to revolve around nubile T & A ( now, now Snoots ! ) and a whole bunch of jump scares, strewn throughout the movie. They are very formulaic and to me one movie seems as good/bad as any other, so I don't bother watching any of them.

The Exorcist would be my idea of a worthwhile horror movie.

Spot on, my thoughts too. May be wrong and no doubt some lesser known gems out there for modern horror. But like yiu say, ones I have watched seem to follow very similar paths. When ive trued watching horror films from last 10 or so years, I've had to turn them off most the time. Painful to watch.

Good looking young women taking their tops off (before getting killed). Yes I know, but its easy to see that sort of thing whenever on tv/computer (or real life ;)) without it needing to be forced into most horror film.

'Cheap' jump scares. Use silence, then typical horror genre music to force audience into being scared.

Incredibly dumb decisions made by most the characters (yes i know it's a film and we need to suspend disbelief at times).

Basically just seems like lazy writing/producing. Best horror films are tge ones that can get into your mind, under your skin more or subtly without using all same the cheap tricks and ideas wheeled out for most the genre.

Tbh Hollywood in general is like that for all genres. That's why I stopped watching films so much as just seemed like I'd seen it all a million times before, or cardboard cutout characters where you can pretty much predict the outcome after 10 mins in Hollywood films.

Highly rated sub titled films from other countries woukd be my recommendation if tired of films. No, or much less Hollywood influence, far less predictable and fresher feel in some ways as being from other countries, bring their own unique styles.

Daytime horror seems worse. Thats why the Omen freaks me out

Rather than all the dark night, thunder & lightning stuff.

Exorcist (the book) - read it on vacation and the sounds of an unfamiliar lodging made for some serious lack of sleep.

Jaws for sure, because we knew the beach where it was filmed.

Vampires have always creeped me out, I think it has something to do with a Roman Catholic upbringing.

And agree that the early Steven King stuff - Carrie, It, Pet Cemetary, etc. - did the business. (or maybe, more accurately, made me to a business).

Spot on, my thoughts too. May be wrong and no doubt some lesser known gems out there for modern horror. But like yiu say, ones I have watched seem to follow very similar paths. When ive trued watching horror films from last 10 or so years, I've had to turn them off most the time. Painful to watch.

Good looking young women taking their tops off (before getting killed). Yes I know, but its easy to see that sort of thing whenever on tv/computer (or real life ;)) without it needing to be forced into most horror film.

'Cheap' jump scares. Use silence, then typical horror genre music to force audience into being scared.

Incredibly dumb decisions made by most the characters (yes i know it's a film and we need to suspend disbelief at times).

Basically just seems like lazy writing/producing. Best horror films are tge ones that can get into your mind, under your skin more or subtly without using all same the cheap tricks and ideas wheeled out for most the genre.

Tbh Hollywood in general is like that for all genres. That's why I stopped watching films so much as just seemed like I'd seen it all a million times before, or cardboard cutout characters where you can pretty much predict the outcome after 10 mins in Hollywood films.

Highly rated sub titled films from other countries woukd be my recommendation if tired of films. No, or much less Hollywood influence, far less predictable and fresher feel in some ways as being from other countries, bring their own unique styles.

Did you ever see 'La Cabina'? Darkest ending ever!

I
With Halloween next month, just curious what everyone's top 5 Horror movies of all time are? I know Americans probably take it more seriously than those in the UK do haha, but its my favorite holiday. Hard decision for me, but here are my top 5:

1-Halloween(The original one)
2-Phantasm
3-Terrifier
4-The Evil Dead(1981)
5-Night of the Living Dead(1968)
Surely Night of the Living Dead was filmed in Bournemouth lower gardens?

;